A few Milwaukee questions

Locky

Hi there, I'm soon to be an apprentice carpenter and I'm after some advice on power tools. After a few months deliberation while completing a building and construction course, and tax season coming up, it's nearly time to pick up some power tools. I've decided that the brand I want to go with for the basics is Milwaukee, it seems to get good feedback whenever I read reviews about it and the 5 year warantee is a bonus.

The combo kit I'm looking at is this one:

http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/milwaukee-combos/milwaukee-m28-28v-5-piece-cordless-combo-hd28pp5b-32b.html

But with an impact driver too:

http://www.gettoolsdirect.com.au/impact-drivers/c18id-22c-m18-compact-impact-driver-c/w-2-x-1.5ah-batts.html

Does anyone have any advice on whether or not this is a wise buy, or if any multi bay chargers would suit both the M28 lithium batteries and the M18 driver battery too?

I'd appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Man those are pricey. If you look around you can find them for much cheaper. Milwaukee makes great tools. Do you really need the M28? Milwaukee is coming out with some brushless M18 tools that are great. The hammer drill puts out 725 in-lbs of torque and are lighter than the m28. In regards to your question, you can build a very nice Milwaukee line. They are tough and offer a wide variety of tools for their m18 and m12 lines.

• Like 1

I've looked around for a while, and being in Australia, this is the best priced product I've found so far, much better than I can find in my local Milwaukee dealer's store. I'm really after a drill, driver, circular saw and planer. I think for the planer I'll visit the local tool store and find a nice Makita. My tax cheque will cover that M28 kit easily, I'm not overly stressed about spending a bit of coin, providing that I get a decent product in return. If I get 5+ years out of each tool, I'll be happy.

Do you think the M18 tools will be more convenient than the M28? I'm confused about what batteries are compatible with what chargers and tool types and the like.

Hi Locky,

Buy quality, and just a reminder that some of the new 18v stuff will probably out perform, and in terms of battery life last longer, than 28v stuff that's out there.

I will tell you the same as I have to my Son mate, buy a few top quality tools, Hand and Power tools, and build it up slowly .

And keep an eye on the oldies and what they use, they may know a thing or two. :)

• Like 1

Thanks for the feedback Wayne, I've got a few essential hand tools and it's slowly started to build from there. I've just brought an old (almost antique) adjustable bevel off ebay that's much stronger than the one I bought from a local hardware store that broke before I used it.

The 28v stuff apealed to me because I thought it would last longer (battery wise) which is one of the main attractions for me. If that's not the case, then I'd be happy with the 18v stuff. If I went with the M18 milwaukee stuff, at least all the chargers would be the same.

• Like 1

You sound like you are doing the right thing Locky and thinking about it before you buy.

I would go the 18v way myself and for the building trade torque is king for drills and impact drivers and 2 batteries per tool 3ah lithium ion minimum per battery.

If you are in Australia then I would look at which manufacturer is best for spare parts and service also because down time while a tool gets fixed is a class one pain.

I've been told Hitachi are big down under, but if you like milwaukee then I would go for the new brushless fuel drill and impact driver with the new red lithium battery.Its going to cost you a few quid pal but I've looked at these and they are almost as powerful as my Metabo LTX tools.

One last bit of advice is Good quality Blades and drill bits because ANY tool is only as good as what you put in it bud and cheap crappy blades and bits are a danger to you and everyone round you on a site.

If you can find a supplier who lets you try before you buy then go for it remember you are going to have this stuff years.

If you need any advice at all just drop me an e-mail wayneburgess63@yahoo.co.uk its no bother and good luck in your career. :)

The M18 will suit you well. They make alot more stuff in M18 as opposed to M28. With the vastly improved quality and performance of the M18 stuff I wouldn't be surprised if they don't start phasing the M28 stuff out eventually. The new Fuel Hammer Drill is a beast! Haven't got to play with the driver yet.

• Like 1

Thanks again Wayne, at the institute where I'm doing carpentry, they have about three brands of tools to use - Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt. They wouldn't stock Milwaukee, probably too expensive. Makita is probably the most popular around here, but Hitachi is the lowest priced of the higher quality tools. As for repairing them, I'm not sure if anyone locally repairs them - could be a long travel to find someone who could.

By the look of it, these Milwaukee Fuel M18 XC's look perfect, but it's a matter of finding out what batteries are going to be compatible with what tools. If I wanted to buy a circular saw, I'm not sure if the battery would work in it. Anyone got any idea?

EDIT: This site stocks them and looks half decent http://www.gettoolsd...l-products.html

I find it really confusing as to what tool is compatible with what battery!

One other thing bud with Milwaukee the key words you are looking for are Fuel ( a new range) and Red lithium the best quality battery they do.

Any of them that are not these are not the latest models.

In a nutshell I would buy a Milwaukee FUEL either combi drill ( has hammer action for drilling brick or concrete) or the drill driver ( if you mainly doing assembly)

And the Milwaukee FUEL impact driver.

Then add to this slowly, buying bare tools and maybe add a few extra batteries as time goes by, I say do it that way because battery tech is moving on at a pace and milwaukee may follow Metabo and bring out a 4ah battery.

(Not pushing Milwaukee but you seem to have decided that you like them and they do have a massive range of tools in 18v and 12v platforms.)

• Like 1

That makes a lot of sense Wayne, I seem to be stuck at a point where if I buy a few Milwaukee items now, a few months down the line an improved battery line might come out, or improved saws and the like. I think you're spot on with just sticking with the drill and driver for the moment, that'll see me through for the meantime :)

• Like 1

No worries Locky,

And just as an idea get in touch with the guys at www.toolstop.co.uk. ( other stockists are out there too) lol

I would advise asking them how much the Milwaukee fuel Combi drill and the impact driver will be including delivery to your address.

They are very friendly Guys and very very helpful.

And they won't myther the pants off you either with sales crap. :)

I Like the way you have thought this through, and done your research before you made up your mind.Am sure that will serve you well in the future with your trade.

Like I said hang on to my e-mail and if you need to ask anything just drop me an e-mail over and will help all I can. :)