If you could learn a new skill...

WeldfabNeil

I was wondering if you guys could learn a new skill what would it be?

I just found out my work is gonna pay for me to go the community college for machining. I know the basics on manual machining an barely anything with CNC maching. Also will be taking a couple engineering an cad classes. Can't wait to learn more on both. Not looking forward to the math class thoe.

Awesome stuff, being a retired Machinist it was a great career, old school mainly about the last 3 yrs or so we had introduced 3 or 4 CNC machines. I worked them for awhile but didn't like them. I'd rather go with my good ol calipers and measure myself. If you have an opportunity by all means take it you can't go wrong. At my age I would like to learn how to whittle so I can whittle wooden arse holes for hobby horses....lol j/King.....

Im a machinist too,as was my dad and grandpa. Manual,CNC,lathe,mill,surface grinding,I do it all. Its fun. As for new skills,I wanna improve my welding. I also like to dabble with electrical and soldering.

Wood working is where im trying to head towards in my garage,I figure it would be easier to teach my kids techniques with wood projects,althou they've been to the shop and love watching CNC do their thing.

Honestly, the skill I wish I could learn is patience with people that I think are unintelligent and/or rude...or welding. I know more about welding than probably anyone that has never welded. I watch all sorts of videos on MIG and TIG and have for YEARS but I just haven't been able to get into it.

• Like 2

Honestly, the skill I wish I could learn is patience with people that I think are unintelligent and/or rude...or welding. I know more about welding than probably anyone that has never welded. I watch all sorts of videos on MIG and TIG and have for YEARS but I just haven't been able to get into it.

you can watch all the videos on welding you want, you will never know if you can weld until you actually do it. I 've been watching rock concerts all my life but I can't play guitar...

• Like 1

you can watch all the videos on welding you want, you will never know if you can weld until you actually do it. I 've been watching rock concerts all my life but I can't play guitar...

That's what I'm saying, I know the techniques, setup, etc but I don't have hands on time because I haven't had the chance. That's why I said I'd like to learn to weld, not that I knew how to weld.

On a more serious note I've always wanted to learn the electrical trade. I still might. I retire in 3 so......

truth be told I would like to learn more about electrical too....seeings its pretty much the only thing I have someone else do in a house....or at least everything else I feel comfortable doing

Would definitely like to learn more in electrical.  I can do the very basics but any further than that I really feel uncomfortable unless I have someone who knows what they're doing helping me.  

Im very lucky as my job provides training and schooling in pretty much every department (plumbing, mechanical, welding, machining, and electrical).  I even get to dabble a little with smaller wood framing projects.  Electrical is the only one I have kind of put off.  We run 480 in our facility so there is literally no room for mistakes or your fried. Dont want to die before im 30, especially at that place haha.