What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 8/21/2017 at 4:48 PM, JMG said:

I detest FedEx. Current shipment in their system was originally listed as for delivery last Friday. Thursday, this was changed to a Monday delivery. Tracking shows that the package was at the local hub early Saturday and listed as loaded for delivery. Today I waited around for it and it's a no show. Check tracking and it is now listed as being held for pick-up. I use the automated customer service link and work through the question/answer process to attempt a complaint and that states it is now scheduled to be delivered on Tuesday.

599c48c790608_IMG_03961.thumb.JPG.4ceb917604da62e44de893aafc8ca585.JPG

Turns out that the box had broken during shipping and they had to pull it off the delivery truck and screw it back together. Fortunately the brake itself is showing no damage. Must have been one hard hit to break a plywood shipping crate.

I hate FedEx too. To a point that I have paid more for shit just to get it via UPS. The UPS guy gives my dogs treats and knows my kids names. The FedEx guy pronounces my name like it's Mexican and won't get out of the truck because he's afraid of a Golden Retriever. 

• Like 2

I hate FedEx too. To a point that I have paid more for shit just to get it via UPS. The UPS guy gives my dogs treats and knows my kids names. The FedEx guy pronounces my name like it's Mexican and won't get out of the truck because he's afraid of a Golden Retriever. 

Fedex is hit or miss the routes are independently owned so you never know I have great luck with fed ex by my new house, my UPS driver isn't as good as my old houses driver

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finally got the router I wanted, I've been looking at the DW618 and was planning on getting the plunge base later but found this gem in a pawn shop. Even came with a nearly new Freud bit! It looks like they used it for one cut and sold it. I think the only things missing are the case and instructions, don't need either!

zDAkKuc.jpg

KnIvM8M.jpg

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Finally got the router I wanted, I've been looking at the DW618 and was planning on getting the plunge base later but found this gem in a pawn shop. Even came with a nearly new Freud bit! It looks like they used it for one cut and sold it. I think the only things missing are the case and instructions, don't need either!

zDAkKuc.jpg

KnIvM8M.jpg

Man, I'm so f$&king jealous. What a steal. I love mine. Once I started using the 618 I felt like jackass have used a $79 Ryobi all those years. 

Good for you man!

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Conductor562 said:

Man, I'm so f$&king jealous. What a steal. I love mine. Once I started using the 618 I felt like jackass have used a $79 Ryobi all those years. 

Good for you man!

Thanks man! I know what you mean, I was getting good results with my (literal) antique routers but one had lost the shaft lock long before I got it so I was using pliers to hold it still. All three of them have fixed bases and I was starting to be severely limited to what I could do, becoming apparent with (coincidentally) the sign kit you just bought. After messing with this for a little bit I'm thinking of buying a replacement router for the router table.

I use my shitty Ryobi router in my shitty Ryobi router table. My next big purchase will be either a scroll saw or a new router table (with a lift of course). When I do get a new table, I'll probably get another high quality router to dedicate to the table. 

Theres several tables I like, so I'm not even close to deciding. Incra, Kreg, and Woodpeckers are the early favorites, but Incra is probably going to be out of my budget. 

No plunge capability is what fueled my 618 purchase as well. I was gonna just get a plunge base for my Makita trim router, but damn, the plunge base is just a few bucks from being the same price as the router. $89 versus $99 I think I have for the router. So buying the 618 allowed me to both achieve plunge capability and stop relying on the cheap Ryobi for everything and dedicate it to the table. 

• Like 1

Nice router pickup @BMack37. @Conductor562 have you looked at the triton routers? I have the 3.25 plunge router dedicated to the router table. It has the ability to be adjusted from the top very easily without a router lift. Just take out the plunge spring and works perfect with plenty of power. Rockler often has 10% off triton products which makes it a great deal compared to buying both a router and a lift. 

I have plans to rival @Conductor562 in tool purchases this week. One of them is actually the same product just for a different brand. pics later today

• Like 1

Woodcraft had a $25 off $100 purchase. Bit then bullet on some dovetail stuff. Excited about it. I am wanting to build a hand tool cabinet (possibly from finewoodworking) and they dovetail the corners. Also go another socket holder set from Ernst. Love these rails and trays. Also a snappy depth stop for pilot holes. 40ac25ec61dcc6d3175427ad118ca6d8.jpgc37ca7df99c121724467410a2f9d9d45.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 4

That finish actually looks really nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Yea it actually is a pretty decent set to have in the car, it was 1/2 off then I had 42 bucks in points and 10 dollars in surprise points so why not the sockets are pretty slick

19 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Nice router pickup @BMack37. @Conductor562 have you looked at the triton routers? I have the 3.25 plunge router dedicated to the router table. It has the ability to be adjusted from the top very easily without a router lift. Just take out the plunge spring and works perfect with plenty of power. Rockler often has 10% off triton products which makes it a great deal compared to buying both a router and a lift. 

I have plans to rival @Conductor562 in tool purchases this week. One of them is actually the same product just for a different brand. pics later today

I have never tried a Triton product period. I will have to check out the router though if it eliminates the need for a lift.

20 hours ago, Conductor562 said:

I use my shitty Ryobi router in my shitty Ryobi router table. My next big purchase will be either a scroll saw or a new router table (with a lift of course). When I do get a new table, I'll probably get another high quality router to dedicate to the table. 

Theres several tables I like, so I'm not even close to deciding. Incra, Kreg, and Woodpeckers are the early favorites, but Incra is probably going to be out of my budget. 

No plunge capability is what fueled my 618 purchase as well. I was gonna just get a plunge base for my Makita trim router, but damn, the plunge base is just a few bucks from being the same price as the router. $89 versus $99 I think I have for the router. So buying the 618 allowed me to both achieve plunge capability and stop relying on the cheap Ryobi for everything and dedicate it to the table. 

router table plus table saw combo?

I have never tried a Triton product period. I will have to check out the router though if it eliminates the need for a lift.
Check out my shop project thread. I built a router tbale with the Triton router. Pm me if you want more info.

15 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Sears gift, been getting boo koo points as of late

Me too! It's almost like the good old days of a year or so ago. I have a couple nice gifts heading my way next week...already at $5 one day after emptying the account! The Win it app has been good to me lately.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Check out my shop project thread. I built a router tbale with the Triton router. Pm me if you want more info.

I'll do just that!

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

1.5 hp.13" resaw capacity.

Sweet. All the bandsaw you'll ever need. 

2 hours ago, Jronman said:

router table plus table saw combo?

I've looked at various set ups. I haven't ruled it out yet, but I haven't seen one the won me over yet either.

I've looked at various set ups. I haven't ruled it out yet, but I haven't seen one the won me over yet either.
I'm hoping it should be the bandsaw I'll ever need. Got a great deal on it too! No time to adjust it tonight. The only thing that might get changed is the fence but we'll see how this one goes first. Excited to get it up and running as I need it to cut the legs on the gaming table as well as my vise chop.

5 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

I'm hoping it should be the bandsaw I'll ever need. Got a great deal on it too! No time to adjust it tonight. The only thing that might get changed is the fence but we'll see how this one goes first. Excited to get it up and running as I need it to cut the legs on the gaming table as well as my vise chop.

I can't see much of the finer workings of the fence from the pic. How does it adjust for the drift? 

I love the Kreg fence I put on mine, but I also only have half the resaw you have so the shorter fence doesn't bother me.

Seriously though, you need to check out the Carter F.A.S.T. Blocks. They are awesome, especially if you're gonna do much resawing 

• Like 1

I can't see much of the finer workings of the fence from the pic. How does it adjust for the drift? 

I love the Kreg fence I put on mine, but I also only have half the resaw you have so the shorter fence doesn't bother me.

Seriously though, you need to check out the Carter F.A.S.T. Blocks. They are awesome, especially if you're gonna do much resawing 

Im not completely sure yet. I basically just have the saw up and not adjusted yet.

The kreg looks nice. Love to not have to buy another one if I don't have too. I'm sure this one will be just fine.

I'll check into those. Thanks!