What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

6 hours ago, Tug said:

Ryobi one+ hedge trimmer, for a budget brand it works just fine. For someone who hates gardening it works just fine. For a 2 Amp battery it lasts just fine. For 18 Volts it cuts just fine. 

Not bad, Ryobi, not too bad at all. 

Their OPE stuff is not too shabby, have the hybrid blower and trimmer, and the 18v mower.  The be honest I haven't used them much because my wife uses them and doesn't give me a chance, which is fine by me!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, HiltiWpg said:

Careful with those double ended bits, as they wear they get stuck easily in your impact collet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info to know!!! On what impact are you experiencing this? Any other double ended bits you prefer? 

53 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

Sears rewards purchase. Took a good chunk of the price out. Like to see how these compare to my DeWalt set. I'm sure they were made in the same factory in England. 4645758024c5c4d5576c9d1a6f555af0.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I love those chisels, great quality

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Sears rewards purchase. Took a good chunk of the price out. Like to see how these compare to my DeWalt set. I'm sure they were made in the same factory in England. 4645758024c5c4d5576c9d1a6f555af0.jpg

I've had that set for over two years. They are great chisels. I have a bunch of Lie Nielsen socket chisels but these get used a lot too. I like the socket chisels because of the replaceable handles but these are well made English steel and hold a great edge for a long time. I didn't realize the Dewalt were made there too.

I've had that set for over two years. They are great chisels. I have a bunch of Lie Nielsen socket chisels but these get used a lot too. I like the socket chisels because of the replaceable handles but these are well made English steel and hold a great edge for a long time. I didn't realize the Dewalt were made there too.
Good to hear. This will give me a few more sizes as well.the DeWalt are made in Sheffield England so they probably come from the same place. Haven't got a chance to check them out yet. I stopped by home to grab an apple while on shift. Will check them out more when I get home.

I was expecting a CCTV tester to come today but I also had an unexpected package show up too. Check this out!

Jiz2qQQ.jpg

Ummm @rrich1 it wasn't supposed to be a trade! Thanks man! I really did want to grab another one of these, I like how wide they open compared to the regular Knipex diagonal cutters.  Now I can keep one in my work bag too!

• Like 3

Today I got the accessories in for my 788 scroll saw. The light kit, the lift, and the knobs all showed up, so as soon as my blades arrive, I'll be in business.

The knobs are actually covers that slip over the shitty factory wing style knobs. These are made by a 77 year old scroller outside Atlanta named Marcus Bailey. Tracking them down was somewhat interesting. I found his contact info on a scroll forum. He has no website, no YouTube channel, and I'm not sure he knew what Paypal even was. He talked to me for at least 15 minutes about scroll sawing, dropped the knobs in the mail on the same day (Saturday), and accepted a personal check that I wasn't even going to be able mail until Tuesday. He was possibly the nicest man I ever met. He talked in that deep southern accent that you can't help but love and when I told him I wouldn't be able to get his check in the mail until Tuesday he said "Not a problem young man. I've never met a scroller that was a thief, so I trust ya". He upgraded my knobs and restored my faith in humanity at the same time. I could have had any of my machinist buddies make them for me, but I'm glad I didn't. 

IMG_8246.thumb.JPG.34737762b43908a552e539d6d61a6d86.JPG

The lift is another home grown solution. There are several options for 788 lifts, but I liked this one the best for it's easy operation and felt it had the most upside.

IMG_8247.thumb.JPG.f1a660660512a9bbbd91cef21dd13471.JPG

The 788 is a joy to use compared to the cheap saws of my youth. I hate having it tucked away in a crappy corner, but until I redo my shop, it's the best option I've got.

IMG_8248.thumb.JPG.34c41920994da5553621c80231e1454a.JPG

• Like 4