What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 12/26/2017 at 12:09 PM, Tug said:

I meant it's dead, non-functioning, faulty. It's going back. 

I was just out in the garage with the angle grinder and a cutoff wheel, tried as I could to make it quit, bog down, etc., it didn't make a peep. It cut through with no problem. New 4Ah battery, somewhat new cutoff wheel...angle grinder buzzed through with no issues.

I'm curious about a characteristic of mine, since it's my first brushless tool I haven't got a clue about this...is it supposed to kinda "ratchet" when you spin the wheel by hand?

2 hours ago, kruton said:

I’ve got a few new tools during my hiatus, but grabbed this today. Doing a little tile work and thought this would be a little nicer than the little wet saw I used last time. 0606dc4fef4e83e4812e98cd8c20e0c3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the price that is a very nice tile saw. I've been very happy with mine.

• Like 2

Dewalt 18V/20V hedge trimmer (DCM563) for $219 AUD.

It was between this and the Metabo 18V hedge trimmer (AHS 18V) for $279 AUD. It was mainly a price decision but I couldn't find much info about the Metabo (and read nothing but good things about the Dewalt).

IMG_20171230_165240.jpg

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Kato said:

I was just out in the garage with the angle grinder and a cutoff wheel, tried as I could to make it quit, bog down, etc., it didn't make a peep. It cut through with no problem. New 4Ah battery, somewhat new cutoff wheel...angle grinder buzzed through with no issues.

I'm curious about a characteristic of mine, since it's my first brushless tool I haven't got a clue about this...is it supposed to kinda "ratchet" when you spin the wheel by hand?

That's good to hear that they do actually perform well.  As far as the "ratcheting" I don't know what it is but it's normal.  I'm pretty positive I have both brushed and brushless milwaukee grinders that do it , possibly my bosch too and none of them are the braking models either.  So I'm not really sure what it is I just know they do it.

10 hours ago, Kato said:

Yeah, that's normal. It's the magnets repelling against the coils in the motor, all normal. 

8 hours ago, D W said:

Dewalt 18V/20V hedge trimmer (DCM563) for $219 AUD.

It was between this and the Metabo 18V hedge trimmer (AHS 18V) for $279 AUD. It was mainly a price decision but I couldn't find much info about the Metabo (and read nothing but good things about the Dewalt).

IMG_20171230_165240.jpg

The DeWalt is a great tool!  A good friend can attest to its effectiveness...he almost lost a finger when he failed to respect its authority.  Nothing like derailing a drywall project by dropping off the help at the ER.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kruton said:

I’ve got a few new tools during my hiatus, but grabbed this today. Doing a little tile work and thought this would be a little nicer than the little wet saw I used last time. 0606dc4fef4e83e4812e98cd8c20e0c3.jpg

I have the older version.... works well !

• Like 1

I have the older version.... works well !

Glad to know that. I probably won’t use it til next weekend, but I was hoping it was a decent saw. I won’t use it too often so I am hoping it lasts me for a while.

• Like 1

A final late Christmas present showed up. David Barron 1:4 Magnetic Dovetail Saw Guide.

18304827-32BF-4DD3-B70F-EBF1F16B8943.thumb.jpeg.eeb45cadb999feccfc73709c964238b3.jpeg

And I put an Amazon gift card to good use on an Incra 150mm T-Rule.

FA3CF171-84E2-40B0-B2DA-37BEA31E50BE.thumb.jpeg.6af49080bfe49c26d279c95c9191ebda.jpeg

I’ve been wanting both of those! I’m jealous man. Have you used any of the David Barron guides yet or is this your first one?

24 minutes ago, kruton said:

I’ve been wanting both of those! I’m jealous man. Have you used any of the David Barron guides yet or is this your first one?

This is my first one. From all of the videos I’ve seen it looks like they’re really useful.

• Like 1

Finally picked up the DeWalt portable power station.  I stopped at a HD I've gotten good deals at before on my trip home and found two display units for $199.50.  

Also picked up a 24" Bessey Revo and a 12" Bessey clamp today, along with 16 more 5-packs of Diablo pruning blades.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

1AC84AAD-4204-477E-A2F9-725A5E2C26DF.thumb.jpeg.2e6e6d931dddf286380d000bfd9292ee.jpegbought this yesterday because I had to replace a couple of sinks in the place we’re staying at and this made life so much easier!

Such a great tool. I’ve had one for years. Makes things seem so simple 

• Like 1

Got a fresh (2017 date code) DeWalt 12v Max DCK212S2 kit with recip saw and drill for $45.06 at the Exchange.  When I was looking at these previously they all had 2013-2015 codes, with the newer kits having 1.3Ah batteries while the 2013 and 2014 kits had 1.5Ah batteries.  There were a couple of older kits left but fresh, albeit lower amp-hour, batteries are an obvious plus.

Sadly, this completes my 12v Max tool collection (minus lasers and such) with only four tools and a couple of lights.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

1AC84AAD-4204-477E-A2F9-725A5E2C26DF.thumb.jpeg.2e6e6d931dddf286380d000bfd9292ee.jpegbought this yesterday because I had to replace a couple of sinks in the place we’re staying at and this made life so much easier!

I just bought one of those last month. My wife decided she wanted new towel bars.  That turned into repainting the bathroom and cabinets, new fixtures, doors, door hardware, new updated outlets, switches, and closet doors.  Plus I have to put trim around the mirror.  Then I start on the guest bath. 

• Like 2

Picked up this Kobalt KB50FT 50’ Laser Distance Measurer at Lowes this morning at 50% off for $19.98. Supposedly only had 3 in stock but there were a ton in the holiday sale area. It’s pretty nice for the price. White text on black, 4 different units of measure (feet & inches, feet, inches, and meters), accurate to 1/8” (good enough for my needs), auto shutoff after 3 minutes, and even came with Duracell (OEM) batteries. You can choose to measure from the top or bottom of the unit. It displays which you’re measuring from in the top left and shows an indicator when the laser is on.

C3598502-1D55-467A-B0D1-2B7E34747B66.thumb.jpeg.ec95e5a552c8c1d35e8bbbb68358ea42.jpeg

• Like 4