What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

It has been awhile since I have really bought any new tools. I have wanted to change from my old bucket organzier for my electric tools to something new. Decided to try a Klein backpack. So far so good...time will tell how clean and organized I keep it...lo! e24181050a47a246444a197a838c0bf7.jpgabc542f81c4db16ecbb57b46064f4529.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

• Like 6

On 05/01/2018 at 1:47 AM, overanalyze said:

It has been awhile since I have really bought any new tools. I have wanted to change from my old bucket organzier for my electric tools to something new. Decided to try a Klein backpack. So far so good...time will tell how clean and organized I keep it...lo! e24181050a47a246444a197a838c0bf7.jpgabc542f81c4db16ecbb57b46064f4529.jpg

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

I recently picked up a Magma backpack, pleased with the quality so far. You do have to be disciplined with keeping it clutter free and organised, but definitely prefer a backpack for negotiating doors whilst carrying a drill case. 

Is the Klein well made? I'd expect it to be top grade! 

On 12/29/2017 at 11:41 PM, justinkendall said:

FA3CF171-84E2-40B0-B2DA-37BEA31E50BE.thumb.jpeg.6af49080bfe49c26d279c95c9191ebda.jpeg

I don't feel like trying to get a photo of it, but I bought the 12" version of this Incra T-Rule. It's really nice and has both marks for 32nd's and 64th's so I can get very precise marks. I also picked up a pair of Ironclad Summit cold weather gloves because winter is here.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, overanalyze said:

I have a project where I need to trace down a bunch of cat5 and speaker wire. Thinking this will help out.

Fantastic tool, this is the industry standard.

I'm sure you know but be careful and replace any old speaker wire. I see soo many blown outputs from shorted speaker wires.

• Like 1

Fantastic tool, this is the industry standard.

I'm sure you know but be careful and replace any old speaker wire. I see soo many blown outputs from shorted speaker wires.
Thanks@BMack37. The house is newer so all the cabling seems to be in good condition. No way to replace the miles of wired in this one. Approx 12 zones of audio. I will definitely test them though. Changing out equipment to new MCA-88 Russound.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, overanalyze said:

Thanks@BMack37. The house is newer so all the cabling seems to be in good condition. No way to replace the miles of wired in this one. Approx 12 zones of audio. I will definitely test them though. Changing out equipment to new MCA-88 Russound.

If you think one is iffy and you really want to protect it you can always do in-line fuses too. Something like 500mA should protect your outputs. 

• Like 1

I got these pliers and dikes on the clearance rack at Lowe's:

20180106_193505.thumb.jpg.0fcec4d1c6d1fef4c3c2a93d4e4f9d81.jpg

And my wife put this under the tree, sort of:

000999313402.thumb.jpg.fc1483aa34fa29f55c02d002e3fd3f8a.jpg

The reason I say "sort of" is that what she actually bought was a Hitachi, because that's what I had been looking at.  But the moment I opened it she was urging me to return it.  She works for Lowe's, and in the time between when she bought the Hitachi and when I opened it, she saw five Hitachi sliding miter saws come back with various customer complaints.  So I took the Hitachi back, and then had to choose between spending more money for DeWalt, or taking the Kobalt and putting a little money back on the card.  I don't need a sliding miter every day, so I decided to give the Kobalt a shot, and hope I won't regret it.  It does seem like an extremely nice saw for the money, and the adjustments are all up front, which is convenient.

I haven't unboxed it yet, because it's freakin' cold in my garage/workshop.

• Like 4

Those Irwin pliers are outstanding.  I've found a number of the PowerSlot diagonal cutters for as little as $5 each, and despite giving a few as gifts I still have probably 4 or 5 of them.  The pistol grip pliers I found maybe once or twice, and I think I have a couple of those, while the linesmen pliers have been the most elusive, with only one pair popping up at a decent price.  My local Lowe's had two marked down to $24.98 before jacking them back up to full price but even those are gone now.

Glad to see those are still out there and the crew is nabbing them! For those that didn't check Amazon, the price has been pretty reasonable on those...not $10 or less but under $20 (except the linesman).

Also check out KC Tool's sale section with the Felo branded NWS, very reasonable pricing. Definitely uglier than the Irwins but still very functional.

• Like 1

Almost forgot my tool purchase, an iPhone X to replace my dying iPhone 5. My battery was on the way out but most importantly the pictures in low light were terrible, I'd be taking 10 photos to get one to come out and it would still be a little blurry...not good when I'm using it for work! The iPhone X camera is pretty amazing, between that camera and the screen pictures look three dimensional.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, BMack37 said:

Almost forgot my tool purchase, an iPhone X to replace my dying iPhone 5. My battery was on the way out but most importantly the pictures in low light were terrible, I'd be taking 10 photos to get one to come out and it would still be a little blurry...not good when I'm using it for work! The iPhone X camera is pretty amazing, between that camera and the screen pictures look three dimensional.

That’s a major jump and difference going from the 5 to the X lol good for you. They really are awesome phones. 

• Like 1

Just picked up the Ridgid 18v belt sander, as well as four of the holiday promo Klein sets that include an 11-in-1 screwdriver and NCVT-1 voltage tester and a 4-pack of Bessey clamps.  I think I'm set on 6" and 12" clamps...need to start getting more 24" and longer.

1 hour ago, Jronman said:

@BMack37 @T75R I considered upgrading my 4 to a X but I decided to wait. Gonna wait for the second gen X in September. I think I might hold the title for oldest phone in the Tia crew haha.

It sucks going to a bigger phone but man is it fast and the camera! Oh the camera! It's kind of funny, I have no problem spending $25 a month to get my dog a barkbox every month but $35 a month for a phone I use a LOT? I had to think about it.

Also it's nice with Sprint because at one year I can upgrade for free and I can wait if I don't want to upgrade, at 18 months I can buy the phone or upgrade so I never pay payments over the cost of the phone. The only downside I found was that if I upgraded the storage I don't get a credit when/if I return the phone. At least the base X is 64 GB which is a hell of a lot more than the 16GB I had, I was constantly deleting photos and apps AND having to delete all data and restore to clean up temporary files.

Also I finally can download the One Key app...now I'm annoyed at the Fuel non-One Key tools I bought last year :angry:

• Like 1

I went from a 6 plus to an 8 plus, and the real joy for me is the larger storage capacity. I kept running into issues with the 6 plus and finally realized it was a loss of capacity. I kept having to remove photos just so I could take more photos. It was a pain in the neck. This phone being 256Gb is a joy, no more worrying about running out of space.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kato said:

I went from a 6 plus to an 8 plus, and the real joy for me is the larger storage capacity. I kept running into issues with the 6 plus and finally realized it was a loss of capacity. I kept having to remove photos just so I could take more photos. It was a pain in the neck. This phone being 256Gb is a joy, no more worrying about running out of space.

It's amazing how little 16GB is now! I really wanted the 256GB but it just didn't make sense with the deal Sprint offered. :(

The 8 plus is an awesome phone and it still has a home button! It's taking a lot of getting used to without a home button.

15 hours ago, Kato said:

I made the exact same upgrade in October. I can not believe I was ever able to function with a 16GB 6 Plus now that I have the 256GB 8 Plus. I was at the point where I had to delete photos every day because it kept telling me it didn’t have enough spce even after I removed apps I didn’t use and deleted photos that didn’t look great immediately after taking them. I still delete photos on the new phone pretty much right after I take them if they didn’t come out great or if I accidentally took a burst of photos but that’s not often now that I have portrait mode. I’m never going to get the not enough space message again.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DR99 said:

My only issue is phones seem to be insanely expensive for what they are.

Agreed but if you imagine you spread out the cost of a phone over the cost of two years, it's not a bad investment if you use it a lot. It's still about $40 a month but that's about $1.40 a day...cheaper than a lot of stupid things we buy, like a bottle of water or a soda. A lot cheaper than a pack of cigarettes if you smoke.

Though it also goes to show you how cheap laptops and TVs have become, and it shows the value of a good mattress...and what a scam insurance is...

• Like 2

I didn't buy this today, but I bought it very recently.

The Rockler Clamp it Corner Clamping jig.

I have to say I love these clamps.  I'm getting much better results when building things out of pocket holes than I did in the past.  

These aren't my photos just so you know.  

rok3.jpg

rock 6.jpg

rock4.jpg

• Like 4

19 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

I have to say I love these clamps.  I'm getting much better results when building things out of pocket holes than I did in the past.  

These aren't my photos just so you know.  

rock4.jpg

That partial invisibility feature looks like a great convenience.  :)

• Like 1