What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

On 4/11/2018 at 10:01 AM, dwasifar said:

I don't know that I'd say it's excessively decorated, but that sure is one weird design.  I don't like it.  Seems like it would get in the way.

The CXS and C18 drills have a similar mechanic to drywall guns. You can hold the drill more inline with the chuck at the rear of the drill to provide better pressure at the chuck.

On 4/10/2018 at 8:41 PM, BMack37 said:

Some of the Festools too:

In regards to the Festool I think the decoration if any is very minimal. I would call it a minimalistic design. Most Festool stuff is purpose built. What stands out on a Festool product is not necessarily the design of the tool as a whole but all the bright green details. They may be a design feature but they also indicate that that part has a function whether it be a switch, dial, lever, or something else.

20 hours ago, dwasifar said:

I saw someone do YouTube teardowns of some of those HF power tools.  There's a lot of corner-cutting to get them out at those prices, as you might imagine - flimsy bearings, cheap gearing, sloppy switches.  They have a 90 day warranty for a reason.  

I am a cheapfugger.  That's why I buy expensive tools.  It's cheaper to spend $80 once on a Makita or Milwaukee than it is to keep spending $25 on Chicago Electric over and over and over.  And that's not even taking into account the wasted time and ruined work from substandard tools.

I'm the same way. I also grew up in the 70s and 80s and remember when shit still lasted. I still expect tools to last a lifetime and won't buy crap.

Oh yeah, forgot earlier.  Despite my crapping on Porter cable recently for being a ghost brand and putting out a lot of manure compared to the stuff in their glory days, I did just pick up their oscillating tool. Seemed solid and had nice numbers and a good switch. I also liked the quick change blades.

3 hours ago, satchmodog said:

Oh yeah, forgot earlier.  Despite my crapping on Porter cable recently for being a ghost brand and putting out a lot of manure compared to the stuff in their glory days, I did just pick up their oscillating tool. Seemed solid and had nice numbers and a good switch. I also liked the quick change blades.

Good for you dude. Don’t shy away from their routers either. I have one and am pretty pleased with it. I also have a Bosch and two Festool routers. 

• Like 2

You might remember recently I reviewed the Milwaukee 25' magnetic tape measure.  I was so impressed with it that I went back to HD for the 16' version, and picked up one of the compact ones too:

20180414_142936.thumb.jpg.672e80144294e8734a9117c54025da9b.jpg

While there I saw a steal on a Fiskars splitting axe, marked down from $39.97 to $10.03:

20180414_142942.thumb.jpg.af0732f4561260469d78a11cc9652641.jpg

There were three of these left at that price, all a bit shopworn, but it's an axe, not a doily.  Nonetheless I picked the cleanest of the three.

The instructions for getting the tape measure out of its package are stupidly complicated:

20180414_142958.thumb.jpg.715edbbc00db1d7389dc32316570e193.jpg

I understand why they have to do that, I guess, but it seems kind of silly that you need a tool to take a tool out of a package.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Good for you dude. Don’t shy away from their routers either. I have one and am pretty pleased with it. I also have a Bosch and two Festool routers. 

Indeed. A good tool is a good tool, period. It's why I don't dig brand grandstanding. Every manufacturer excels at something and if you need that best, buy it. I own Porter Cable(old stuff) Milwaukee(new and old) Bosch, Makita, Dewalt, an old Ryobi saw and a fossil of a Craftsman router. Good stuff lasts and performs, why not buy it?

Picked up a couple more Vaughan hammers for about 60% off at Lowes.  Also found an 18" Milwaukee rolling bag marked down to $43 at HD.  The last time I was at the project house I picked up a DS150 Tough System box for about $30; they had a sticker showing them marked down to $8 or so and the DS400 marked down to $13.  None left, though there are two more Milwaukee bags in the overhead.

I've been fighting the temptation to pick up the black Ridgid combo for $200.  I don't need another drill (as I have at least seven DeWalts) and have a DeWalt grinder, Milwaukee circular saw, and just picked up the One Key impact driver last weekend to supplement my DCF886.

• Haha 1

I gave in...$194 out the door for two more 4Ah batteries and the black tools was too tempting to pass up.  The handles don't feel quite as nice as my DeWalt and Milwaukee tools, but I figure I can throw the router and both sanders in the bag and have a well-rounded tool kit (minus recip saw, but the orbital action on the Ridgid may be worth buying one).  

On 4/14/2018 at 4:52 AM, ChrisK said:

BTW, I was at the tool candy land today and they had a 1 3/4 HP around 10 amp Porter cable router that took two collet sizes. RPM was 27k and the thing was solid and far heavier than my Craftsman. It was a pretty impressive machine for 150 beans. It's on the list

On 4/14/2018 at 3:48 PM, dwasifar said:

The instructions for getting the tape measure out of its package are stupidly complicated:

20180414_142958.thumb.jpg.715edbbc00db1d7389dc32316570e193.jpg

I understand why they have to do that, I guess, but it seems kind of silly that you need a tool to take a tool out of a package.

Packaging has gotten out of control.  I recently picked up a Milwaukee flipper knife from the HD deal of the day and the packaging was so ridiculously hard to open that I ended up gouging the handle on the knife just trying to get it out.  I sanded it down smooth, but it still annoys me that it happened in the first place because the plastic was so thick and close to the knife that I just couldn't get it open.

wife needs to get new tools now and again too....picked this up for her new kitchen.......

ordered it so it would be here closer to completion of kitchen, arrived a couple weeks early

20180424_112935.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, comp56 said:

wife needs to get new tools now and again too....picked this up for her new kitchen.......

ordered it so it would be here closer to completion of kitchen, arrived a couple weeks early

20180424_112935.jpg

Let us know how it works Comp.  I have been looking at robot vacs for a while.

On 4/16/2018 at 7:00 PM, dwasifar said:

I don't have it yet, but my wife ordered this for me for my birthday:

Should see it in a week or two.

It's here!  It's here it's here it's here it's here!

20180425_165538.thumb.jpg.d1d40bb0cf471a64875369546ce9f279.jpg

All nice and brand-spanky new, and it came with a bit set:

20180425_170907.thumb.jpg.59a218d4468019020088ba67e7afffac.jpg

Of course I already have bits, but these have hex shanks, which is a nice feature.

In the coming weeks I'm building out a new workshop.  Between this and my new untested pneumatic nailer, I think it'll go quicker.

• Like 2

so the ad said  "11 Red Router Bits"  $50 never used.... ( no picture) I call her and ask what brand they might be she didn't know.....had t take a chance..........

20180427_084824.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, comp56 said:

so the ad said  "11 Red Router Bits"  $50 never used.... ( no picture) I call her and ask what brand they might be she didn't know.....had t take a chance..........

20180427_084824.jpg

Those are definitely red.  Freud's for $50 - score!

A month or so ago the only brushless impact driver I owned was the DCF886 that started my DeWalt spree.  Today I finally added the DCF887 I've wanted for a couple of years.  Found a return at Lowe's that has a lot of markings on it but seems to have very little wear.  Got it and a few other things for $103 and change.  With the Fuel One Key and Ridgid Special Edition, this is the third impact driver I picked up in the past month.

I also picked up a fourth DWX725B heavy duty work stand with miter saw brackets.  After I move, my plan is to stay occupied creating stuff (or just randomly using tools) instead of drinking quite so much.  

Anyway, I'm sitting in the HD parking lot instead of working on my final exam that's due today, so it's time to put away the phone...  I graduate college in two weeks and am looking at seeking a certificate in Construction Management from LSU next.