What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

I bought 8 of the updated Bessey parallel clamps from Home Depot today. I searched all over the web for the best deal and Home Depot was the best deal. Some places were almost double the price. Others had the old model for more than what Home Depot had the new model for. It is sometimes hard to beat Home Depot pricing. The only catch was Home Depot only had the new model available in 2 lengths. Arguably the 24" and 50" are probably one of the better selling sizes if I were to guess. I mostly wanted the 24" but for only $5 more I could get the 50".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jronman said:

but at less than $10 I could get the 50" 

That is a terribly misleading choice of words, I thought you meant they were under $10 each not the difference between the two in price! 🤣 I dropped everything and went right to the Home Depot website because if they were under $10 I was going to buy 20 of them.

• Haha 1

Just now, jtkendall said:

That is a terribly misleading choice of words, I thought you meant they were under $10 each not the difference between the two in price! 🤣 I dropped everything and went right to the Home Depot website because if they were under $10 I was going to buy 20 of them.

sorry meant to say less than $10 more. Still a great deal considering your getting the 50 in for only 78 cents an inch vs the 24 in for $1.42 an inch.

• Like 1

On 5/22/2018 at 6:06 PM, Jronman said:

I bought 8 of the updated Bessey parallel clamps from Home Depot today. I searched all over the web for the best deal and Home Depot was the best deal. Some places were almost double the price. Others had the old model for more than what Home Depot had the new model for. It is sometimes hard to beat Home Depot pricing. The only catch was Home Depot only had the new model available in 2 lengths. Arguably the 24" and 50" are probably one of the better selling sizes if I were to guess. I mostly wanted the 24" but for only $5 more I could get the 50".

$39 for a 50' parallel clamp is a pretty amazing deal.  I think Jet's go for almost $70.  I might have to give these a try to see if I like the new design better than the old one.

• Like 1

A couple of orders from Japan. Another mini ratchet (Vessel) and a Komelon tape measure. I'm finding Vessel are very good value for money. Their philips/jis screwdrivers are great. We'll see how the ratchet is. I already have the yellow version of this Komelon but I wanted a spare. My favourite tape.

IMG_20180525_200351.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, D W said:

A couple of orders from Japan. Another mini ratchet (Vessel) and a Komelon tape measure. I'm finding Vessel are very good value for money. Their philips/jis screwdrivers are great. We'll see how the ratchet is. I already have the yellow version of this Komelon but I wanted a spare. My favourite tape.

Vessel makes great stuff. Have you tried the Vessel Gel grip? I'm a fan of them, very comfortable grip.

Here's some pics of them:

Oq0WrGM.jpg

UEs8Yu2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, D W said:

Thanks @BMack37 I was wondering about those. They're good pricing on Ebay from Japan.

Yeah! Very reasonable...actually, I think I got mine for free because they arrived 5 days late. It was either that or one of the 3.Peaks locking pliers. I need to try to figure it out, I want to buy something from that seller to make up for the unnecessary refund.

• Like 1

I have two Tajimas one with an aluminum case and one plastic. They come with 3 different line thicknesses.  I first bought the the ultra fine line and returned it. It was too hard to grab the line to snap it.  

I tossed my Milwaukee chalk line in the trash on friday after about a year of use it jammed up.  The Dewalt 30ft line is also nice to have as its very small and doesn't take up much room in your bags.

The first half of my first order from Lee Valley last week arrived today, it's also the least interesting (to me) item of the order since it was an impulse add on. A FeatherPRO feather board. I'm looking forward to putting it to use on the table saw and will come in handy as I square off some 2x4's for a project. Second order should be shipping today and the other half of this order was supposed to be in-stock last Friday but no update on it.

IMG_1120.thumb.JPG.94ac22845e684294a07104eae0b5bba2.JPG

• Like 1

My second Lee Valley order from last week arrived today containing 10 really small rare earth magnets.

And a medium shoulder plane with a PM-V11 blade.

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.eaa0804a7ef5a6196c306b44475635c5.JPGIMG_1130.thumb.jpg.dc5db253d3efc45a94b44054ff88303f.jpg

While typing this I got a notice that the other item from my first order had been charged to my card which means it should be shipping today, which is much better than what I saw first thing this morning when I checked and it said backordered until June 20th. I posted on Instagram, went and did a few things came back and was looking up something else when I noticed everything except the specific model I ordered was in stock. The model I ordered said the 8th for one part and the 3rd for the other, which was better than the 20th. Then I checked my order and it said reserved, I guess they got a shipment in or inventoried one during that time.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, rrich1 said:

Part Father's day present. With my upcoming furniture projects (bed, night stand, and dresser) hand applying finish would take forever. Enter Fuji! It's a 2 stage but should be all I need. 550b26eb959478523bb51e5410e6b0a9.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Which one did you get, the Semi-Pro or the Hobby-Pro and did you get the gravity feed or bottom feed gun? The box is vague at saying what is inside and all of the models seem to be the same except one comes with a gravity feed gun.

Which one did you get, the Semi-Pro or the Hobby-Pro and did you get the gravity feed or bottom feed gun? The box is vague at saying what is inside and all of the models seem to be the same except one comes with a gravity feed gun.
I got the semi pro 2 with the siphon cup. The gravity feed conversion is roughly $50 online which I will pick up. The hobby pro is a little less psi and has a different size tip.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rrich1 said:

Part Father's day present. With my upcoming furniture projects (bed, night stand, and dresser) hand applying finish would take forever. Enter Fuji! It's a 2 stage but should be all I need. 550b26eb959478523bb51e5410e6b0a9.jpg

I’ve got the gravity feed Semi Pro 2.Christmas present from my wife last Christmas. It’s suh-freakin’-weet 

6 hours ago, jtkendall said:

My second Lee Valley order from last week arrived today containing 10 really small rare earth magnets.

And a medium shoulder plane with a PM-V11 blade.

IMG_1129.thumb.JPG.eaa0804a7ef5a6196c306b44475635c5.JPGIMG_1130.thumb.jpg.dc5db253d3efc45a94b44054ff88303f.jpg

While typing this I got a notice that the other item from my first order had been charged to my card which means it should be shipping today, which is much better than what I saw first thing this morning when I checked and it said backordered until June 20th. I posted on Instagram, went and did a few things came back and was looking up something else when I noticed everything except the specific model I ordered was in stock. The model I ordered said the 8th for one part and the 3rd for the other, which was better than the 20th. Then I checked my order and it said reserved, I guess they got a shipment in or inventoried one during that time.

I have the large Veritas shoulder and it’s a real piece of art. Love the tool, I too went pm-v11. I was going to go Lie Nielsen but I like the Veritas much more. LN makes a beautiful shoulder plane but this is one time Veritas got it right!

• Like 1

I have the large Veritas shoulder and it’s a real piece of art. Love the tool, I too went pm-v11. I was going to go Lie Nielsen but I like the Veritas much more. LN makes a beautiful shoulder plane but this is one time Veritas got it right!
Agreed. I've messed with the lie Nielsen and veritas. Veritas is much more comfortable in the hand and manageable in different hand positions.

46 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

I was going to go Lie Nielsen but I like the Veritas much more.

38 minutes ago, rrich1 said:

I've messed with the lie Nielsen and veritas. Veritas is much more comfortable in the hand and manageable in different hand positions.

I looked at the Lie-Nielsen shoulder planes online and something about the lever cap just made me go "I don't think it would be comfortable". Granted I have to get used to using a shoulder plane in general but the LN also looks like I could easily break the lever cap because of how thin it is compared to the Veritas. It could be unbreakable for all I know but it just comes off as fragile for lack of a better word.

In general I like the overall appearance of Veritas planes better and for $14 more in this case I get PM-V11. Some of LN's planes are more expensive then their Veritas counterparts which is also a big factor in my decision making and that's even when I figure in the guild discount.

I looked at the Lie-Nielsen shoulder planes online and something about the lever cap just made me go "I don't think it would be comfortable". Granted I have to get used to using a shoulder plane in general but the LN also looks like I could easily break the lever cap because of how thin it is compared to the Veritas. It could be unbreakable for all I know but it just comes off as fragile for lack of a better word.  

In general I like the overall appearance of Veritas planes better and for $14 more in this case I get PM-V11. Some of LN's planes are more expensive then their Veritas counterparts which is also a big factor in my decision making and that's even when I figure in the guild discount.

The lie Nielsen planes hands down look better for the most part. I like the refinements of the veritas though. I like the normal adjustment of the bevel down planes vs the Norris style of the veritas. You wouldn't break the lie Nielsen. It's a solid built plane. I plan to get a  

From lie Nielsen:

4 or 4 1/2

7 1/2 low angle jointer. Such a smoooooth plane

Low angle block plane. I own the rabbet block plane

Already have a LAJ

From veritas:

Low angle smoother

All shoulder planes

Router plane

• Like 1