What tools did you buy today?

JimboS1ice

1 hour ago, ToolBane said:

I like it. Some of Hitachi’s recent past tools have aesthetically looked very...“busy”. Not too bad here, though.

I agree. It looks great. 

I haven't used it much yet, but initial impressions leave me a little underwhelmed, considering the level of "hype" about this tool. There really is a lot of hype but very few actual reviews or comparisons. 

It's definitely not as good in build quality as the Makita, which is made in Japan (Hitachi in China).

There's something not quite right about the balance as well. The Makita feels slightly heavier (I'd say it's the battery) but it's balance feels perfect. The Hitachi is not as perfectly balanced. 

I tried a couple of small screws but I really couldn't tell the difference in smoothness or sound levels having a 3rd hammer. I'll have a look at the Specs and compare them at the same rpm, which will probably be more noticeable (Hitachi is 4000bpm at 2900rpm, Makita turns much faster to get 3800bpm at 3600rpm). So per rotation, the Hitachi has more hits.

• Like 1

I remember speculating about this same thing in another thread somewhere. 50% more beats per minute hypothetically probably also means 2/3 the area-under-the-curve benefit per beat. I remember reading Hitachi electing not to have their triple-hammer in at least one of the comparison deals. Me throwing random guesses into the ether I figure it’s because the different impact dynamic could lead to an apples-to-oranges comparison that probably wouldn’t help it shine in shoot-outs geared more for standard impact drivers. I’m sure it still does fantastic in most real-world applications but would guess it may fall off faster in the ultimate torture tests that tend to get the most attention on YouTube reviews.

Got the new Pliers wrench from Knipex, 250mm (A little lighter and slimmer than the original, but seems plenty beefy. Its also more precise machined and feels "tighter")  
Also got the "mini" bolt cutter(200mm)

jNsuXs7fQz6bm2i5s1nuLw.thumb.jpg.5646c48ce76f3a65d0c3fc80a0feb414.jpg

I love my mini bolt cutters, I just wish I’d gotten the comfort grips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid week or so for me. Not pictured is some total boat epoxy. A whole bunch of clamps from Menards. I had quite a bit of rebates that I had laying around so almost all of them were "free". Two Stanley limited edition tape measures. I'm keeping one for sure. The second not sure yet.

I also upgraded my dust collector components. Mine had the 30 micron bag on top and when running g if you pressed on it dust would go into the air. I found a 1 micron powertec bag for $18. I had been wanting to get a filter but those are immensely more expensive. My lower bag was starting to loose the loops and I was tired of emptying it so I bought some plastic bags instead. Hopefully they will help keep the shop cleaner. 513bd343b474fc5e076be4cee8b1cd12.jpg565bd33631b4b7b763e78f82a4be5ce3.jpgce2a667008644a3055fbfdc602277e21.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

On 9/13/2018 at 1:56 AM, HiltiWpg said:

I love my mini bolt cutters, I just wish I’d gotten the comfort grips!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, i also like the comfort grips. Specially on pliers that sometimes need some force. So i try to get them as long as they are available for the pliers i need/want.

• Like 1

I went back to the same pawn shop near me, and saw they had a dcr006, the little dewalt Bluetooth speaker. It was listed at $44 and on the tag it said ‘ADD IN BACK.’ I asked what that meant, and was told it referred to a battery and charger. 

From what I’d read about this unit, I was aware it comes bare, so I played along. They came back in a few minutes with a 1.5 ah 20v battery and a small charger. 

It doesn’t get terribly loud but it’s Bluetooth and quite small, enough to chuck in my Ridgid boxes. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 11:21 PM, Babysaw said:

I went back to the same pawn shop near me, and saw they had a dcr006, the little dewalt Bluetooth speaker. It was listed at $44 and on the tag it said ‘ADD IN BACK.’ I asked what that meant, and was told it referred to a battery and charger. 

From what I’d read about this unit, I was aware it comes bare, so I played along. They came back in a few minutes with a 1.5 ah 20v battery and a small charger. 

It doesn’t get terribly loud but it’s Bluetooth and quite small, enough to chuck in my Ridgid boxes. 

I have a couple of the Bluetooth speakers, and saying they don't get loud is an understatement.  In the right areas, such as a smaller room, they are decently loud, but otherwise they simply...suffice.  I keep one in my truck to listen to streaming audio from my phone on my commute to work, and at 65-70 mph on the interstate it can sometimes be drowned out by road noise.  Otherwise, however, I have been impressed with the speakers.  If I want something louder there's always the TS Music + Charger.

I'm fairly certain the one that sees the most use has a blown speaker, though, as it emits a rattling sound with certain types of audio.  Guess I should check the date code to see if it's still in warranty.

5 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

Let us know how u like it, I’m thinking about picking one up for mechanic work

Will do, will do 😊

(Already tested it a little bit, so far i really like the 4th mode/auto shut off. This mode come in handy. Should also mention the power compared to the size, very impressive)

• Like 1

Hikoki Multivolt battery 5.0ah/2.5ah. I chose this over the 8.0ah/4.0ah for it's smaller size and lower price ($40/22% cheaper). 

I don't have any Multivolt tools yet, but I've been holding off getting a 6.0ah to use on the 18V reciprocating saw knowing these weren't too far away (for the fuel gauge!). Great to have 36V without the weight. Future Multivolt tool purchases will likely include the circular saw and grinder unless the reviews are saying they aren't very good.

IMG20181015105818.jpg

IMG20181015113223.jpg

• Like 4

I've been needing a 250mm Knipex pliers wrench for a while but I came across this "copy" in the local Bunnings; a Trojan Multigrip Wrench. It was only $29 AUD with a lifetime guarantee, and so far it seems to operate pretty much on par with my 180mm Knipex pliers wrench. The red on the Jaws are removable rubber shoes. I'm really liking it, especially considering it's 1/3 of the price of the Knipex. If you're in AUS check them out. I think the quality is ok for the price. 

IMG_20181019_164207.jpg

• Like 1