Makita 5ah battery (BL1850) won't fit in my circular saw (BSS611)

jackstraw77

Did I mess a memo about the new BL1850 5.0AH batteries where they don't fit in the LXT circular saw BSS611?

I got two of these new things, they are OEM, they fit in 8 other Makita LXT tools I've got, but they for some reason won't slide into my circular saw (the damn tool I need these for the most).  They slide in most of the way and then there's something keeping it from going in the last bit.  It's not the button thing.  Like I said these go smoothly into every other tool.  I can't see a difference between these and the 3.0 BL1830's I have.  The only possible difference I can see is a little nub on the side of the saw battery slot that that is the difference between the saw and the rest of the tools. 

Both of these BL1850's fit in all my other tools, and neither will fit in the saw (while all the 1830's I have fit just fine)

Does this issue sound familiar to anyone?

Its indedd that 'nub' that prevent the newer batteries to fit older tools.

You 'could' file it away but youll be voiding warranty.

The place where you bought the batteries didnt inform you what batteries fits on what tools ?

The problem with that Korno is if you buy a pro grade tool from a box store, the employees in many cases (not all) don't know the first thing about the tools they are selling. Therefore not a surprise the poor guy didn't get that information.
  • Like 1

Hmmm thats very unfortunate yes :/

That is the negative part of large chains and box stores selling tools. Its good competition for the price but those people in those stores lack knowledge about the tools ?

Here in belgium Makita/dewalt/bosch / etc... Is more 'protected' for specialty hardware stores. We get lessons on the new tools now and then but unfortunatly the prices are very high in belgium.

Theres an up and a down side to everything :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/2/2021 at 8:59 PM, swothead said:

Continuing the Makita battery saga, i noticed that the  four charge indicators on the old battery light up progressively as the battery charges, as they should. But nothing happens on the new batteries. When i press a button on the battery, the four indicators turn red, even tho the battery is apparently charged. Any thoughts? 

On 6/4/2021 at 6:53 AM, swothead said:

Continuing the Makita battery saga, i noticed that the  four charge indicators on the old battery light up progressively as the battery charges, as they should. But nothing happens on the new batteries. When i press a button on the battery, the four indicators turn red, even tho the battery is apparently charged. Any thoughts? 

Not sure if I’m misreading you, but all four indicator LEDs being lit up on a charged battery simply confirms it’s charged. I have noticed my newer batteries don’t light up during charging and it struck me as funny at the time but didn’t think about why, I haven’t been paying close attention to them charging in some time, I just pick up an already-charged battery and get back to my project, which is kinda the idea of it, right?

Next time I charge I may pay some attention to this, they may simply have dropped that internal monitoring feature.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/27/2021 at 8:30 PM, Llia said:

I just removed my nub. The newer batteries have a gauge on the back to check the charge. I stop using them when they get to two bars and switch batteries. It's odd they had the foresight to add the nub.

If you remove this nub you are going to burn out your tool.  The nub is there because your tool doesn't have the correct electronics in it to regulate the 5AH coming oit of the battery.  The tool will work fine for few minutes of use bit over prolonged use it will burn out the brushes and maybe even the motor.  

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes I had the identical experience.  Went to Home Depot and figured it out.  The 1830 model 3 amp battery will fit all models.  The 1850 model battery is tool specific.  For example a two tool kit, (hammer drill and 3 select speed drill set).  The hammer drill uses the 3 and the 5 amp battery but the 3 speed select drill only uses the 3 amp battery.  Bad engineering from Makita in my opinion.

THE MODELl BJR182 SAWZALL, MODEL BHP451 THREE SELECT SPEED DRILL, BSS610 SKILLSAW, AND BGA452 GRINDER WILL ONLY ACCEPT 3 AMP BATTERYS (MODEL 1830)

Larry

Edited by Larry Hanna
additional information