PLEASE HELP! Hitachi Drill Powered Tablesaw

B4N231012

Not much of a fence for it either what do you plan on using this for?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cutting small pieces of wood and or metal with the cut off discs for blade smithing. I'm a student at the moment so I'm trying to put together a workshop on the cheap (building my own anvil, work benches etc).

Looking around the web for that model number shows what looks like a really really old hitachi drill hooked up.

http://buyee.jp/item/yahoo/auction/x421605185

Kinda an interesting little box, looks like jig saw, grinder and planer attachments were made for it.

Wow I'm impressed you found it xD I didn't even bother to look for the serial because I thought it was all just a bunch of Japanese, plus I was in a bit of a rush lol. I actually have the jigsaw attachment, I'll add pics later, it mounts in the same way and is also pretty interesting.

I believe the first item you need to find is a parts list and/or schematic. If you have a model number, you can generally find an online parts supplier that might have it in their database. From the looks of it though, it will be an Asian regional item and may be a bit difficult to find. Hitachi does have some convoluted power designs out there. I used to own one of their band saws that was powered by one of their three horse power router motors using a step-down gear drive to match the rpm that a normal single phase motor would normally produce. It was one of the noisiest tools I ever owned.

And I thought this was going to be simple. I'll do some digging and see what I can find. Thanks for the suggestion!

Shouldn't you be able to thread a bolt in there? Then you just need to hook up anything that can turn the bolt. you could use nuts for spacers.

I'm really worried that it's still not going to have the RPM or torque to cut anything thick or dense. You might be better off finding a used motor with decent specs and hooking it up instead of a drill or grinder.

That's another thing I was thinking of doing, it's just the whole mounting process that will give me touble then, I got it going (I held it in place and turned it on) and it cuts fine, but if I let go of the drill it'll just flop to the bench as there's nothing holding it to the saw. I'll take some photos or a video later if that helps if you don't get what I mean.

oh ok hope you only want it for that reason because it looks like it is a disaster waiting to happen. Even if you get all the right parts and getting it going I wouldn't use it because it just doesn't look safe... or at least I wouldn't use it to cut anything.....nice piece to have if restored but more for a collection than a working tool....

Yeah apparently the guy has had it for years and used it off and on throughout and never had any issues, but he had the correct drill. He's unwilling to sell it though as he still uses it. The model wore off it as well apparently so the most info he could give me about it was "2 speed hitachi drill". As I mentioned before, I'm crazy enough to use it at least until I can afford something decent worth buying because I'm doing everything on the cheap right now.

• Like 1

Wow I'm impressed you found it xD I didn't even bother to look for the serial because I thought it was all just a bunch of Japanese, plus I was in a bit of a rush lol. I actually have the jigsaw attachment, I'll add pics later, it mounts in the same way and is also pretty interesting.

Yeah the photo of the drill shows a name plate with info on it that might be helpful. Just be careful if you cobble together something that works, spinning blades are already dangerous enough on purpose-built machines, home brew rigs of disparate parts are altogether more dangerous.

That's another thing I was thinking of doing, it's just the whole mounting process that will give me touble then, I got it going (I held it in place and turned it on) and it cuts fine, but if I let go of the drill it'll just flop to the bench as there's nothing holding it to the saw. I'll take some photos or a video later if that helps if you don't get what I mean.

If you can get it going in than manner, then you can build a jig that attaches a drill. I'd go with a plug in, attach it to where it has a switch then disable the trigger so the drill is always on. This way, you flip the switch and it provides power to the drill and starts the saw. I'd pay attention to the heat on the drill if you do this, you may seriously want to consider putting a temperature relay on the drill so it shuts off if it gets above a certain temperature.

Yeah apparently the guy has had it for years and used it off and on throughout and never had any issues, but he had the correct drill. He's unwilling to sell it though as he still uses it. The model wore off it as well apparently so the most info he could give me about it was "2 speed hitachi drill". As I mentioned before, I'm crazy enough to use it at least until I can afford something decent worth buying because I'm doing everything on the cheap right now.

Mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. I would use it too if I had too. Or if it was all I had.

Millerz

Your connecting wing is 1/2 size?

When you remove chuck from drill in most cases is to size of shafts for chuck holding. Size must be 1/2 3/8 if yes you just need to find drill that hold chuck like one in my attached photo.

When you remove chuck and put your bit ( That strange think to make table work) :) you will get space between your bit and drill housing and it will work when you fix drill to not move.

When you know shaft you need diameter you can find drill for it very easy

You have antique tool - don`t trow it away :)

I think that will help.