Precision Drill

TheMarauder

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I would just like some insight from people who have or know about drills.

I'm looking into something for basic around the house maintenance.  I'm not gonna be doing anything major just simple things like driving.  I'm looking into something like the Festool CXS and maybe a Metabo but I'd like to hear what people that actually have these tools think of them.

All suggestions are welcomed and I hope to talk to you all soon :)

(if there is a certain thread I should look at or if this was talked about already, the redirection is welcomed)

Festool CXS is intended more for fine woodworking than around the house jobs.  It would probably work fine for your needs but there are other tools you'd be happier with at a much lower price (or a whole kit of tools for that price).

Since you're looking for something light duty the Bosch 12V tools are about the lightest and most compact option but still have good power.

I wish it was as simple as directing you to a thread but there are so many nuances of tools there's no one answer.  The biggest deciding factor is what other tools you might want later on.

Welcome to the forum dude

I did this video a while back as a request about the Festool system. Really the majority is about the CXS. If you buy the kit for the CXS or the TXS it's $285. I actually paid $180 for mine through the reconditioned sale a couple of years ago. I will tell you. The CXS is by far, the best cordless drill I've ever (including now) used along with my T18. The problem is very simple if you buy into this line. The batteries for the CXS / TXS only work within those two drills. The T and C series drills work within the whole line in that if you have a 12v or 15v tool it will power those plus the 18v but not the other way around. Currently in those lines they have the drills, Hammer drills, cordless track saws, cordless circular saws and jigsaws as well as a couple of lights and the radio. Quality on these tools are unsurpassed but they tools are limited by the range of tools available in the cordless arena.

I'm going to limit my discussion of the other lines as you asked for Festool and Metabo (I don't have any personal experience with Metabo but I have heard numerous testimonials on their high quality) but if your going to buy into Festool you will end up with an incredible tool system with limited range and high cost. But what you get for the money is high end pro grade tools that will last a life time. And an empty wallet ;)

• Like 1

Hey guys I'm new to this forum and I would just like some insight from people who have or know about drills.

I'm looking into something for basic around the house maintenance. I'm not gonna be doing anything major just simple things like driving. I'm looking into something like the Festool CXS and maybe a Metabo but I'd like to hear what people that actually have these tools think of them.

All suggestions are welcomed and I hope to talk to you all soon :)

(if there is a certain thread I should look at or if this was talked about already, the redirection is welcomed)

I think any 12v line would be good for anything around the house. Makita Dewalt Milwaukee all have good stuff to chose from.

Millerz

You can also look into the DeWalt compact XR brushless. Very good, powerful and reliable. Small and compact to fit in the small household jobs

That's an amazing drill, that's my go to drill even though I bought the m12 Fuel I still reach for that the most

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks for all the super great suggestions guys but just wondering if anyone has experience with the Metabo drills.  I've heard things like the clutch activation issue but to me, it seems more like something that could be worked around upon learning how to use the drill masterfully.  I'd just like to know how people that perhaps own or have great knowledge about these drills feel. 

I'm very willing to expand my list of possible drills if you guys have more suggestions. Thanks!

as other have mentioned, buying into a platform is a big decision for the simple fact you may want more than a drill down the road. having said that there is nothing wrong with buying a Festool drill and buy other tools as well but it would be nice to run several tools on the same battery platform. If you are drilling holes around the house for odd jobs pretty much any cordless drill now a days will be more than adequate. don't be fooled by a lower priced drill/impact kit these days just because a 12V set is on sale for $100 or so dollars don't mean they are junk. I know a few of my buddies thought all my M12 fuel stuff was kids stuff until they tried it .......  

• Like 1

I know much of peoples who use Metabo and they are telling that new Metabo tools suck because of they poor quality. If you thinking about Metabo just buy Ryobi ir Ridgid. For working only in house you don`t need festool. If you wish something more professional as ridgid or ryobi then by Makita or Milwaukee (if you buy it in U.S. not in EU)

All the suggestions are great and it has really lengthened my list of possibilities and the personal insight is great!

The next step is to decide what platform to invest in.  From what I've seen so far, the best option for the time being are Bosch, Dewalt, Ryobi, Makita, Milwaukee, and Rigid (since those are the ones being recommended).  If I don't go through with going with a festool (likely as of this point), which one of these platforms should I start with? 

Really any brand mentioned is worth it, I use dewalt and mikwaukee, both line ups you get solid tools, Milwaukee has a larger line up though with more brushless offerings if that's your choice, otherwise my favorite drill is the compact dewalt xr, DCd 790 I think, awesome drill. Makita is also another great line, then behind that I would say Bosch and then RIDGID. Out of the brands mentioned RIDGID is your best bargain and the lifetime service agreement as well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Milwaukee and Bosch are the only companies with strong 12V lines out of those.  Milwaukee has a much stronger 12V line, but the tools focus on getting the most power out of a 12V tool rather than fit and finish like the Bosch line.

I'm assuming you'd be happier with 12V tools based on your description and leaning towards the Festool, but that's the first thing you need to make a decision on since they're very different classes of tools.

If you live in U.S. buy Milwaukee, but not buy it in Europe :D If you are in Europe just buy Makita or Bosch.

Ridgid ir USA Ryobi and  Ridgid, Ryobi and Milwaukee belongs for TTI company so it`s same company, but different lines of products. If you are looking for 18V line then Makita is best for you. If you are looking 10.8 - 12 V line then buy Bosch.

Really any brand mentioned is worth it, I use dewalt and mikwaukee, both line ups you get solid tools, Milwaukee has a larger line up though with more brushless offerings if that's your choice, otherwise my favorite drill is the compact dewalt xr, DCd 790 I think, awesome drill. Makita is also another great line, then behind that I would say Bosch and then RIDGID. Out of the brands mentioned RIDGID is your best bargain and the lifetime service agreement as well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jimbo, any more about the oil impact they have? Have you had any more use on it?

Jimbo, any more about the oil impact they have? Have you had any more use on it?

Toolguyd had a break down of the motor inside of it but I haven't used it a whole lot. Mostly just for smaller screws no higher torque tasks, I grab the Dewalt for that.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really comes down to what brand you really fall for. Most people will start with a drill and a few other minor items. But mainly in the long run you tend to stick to your brand. Instead of just looking at the drill itself, look into what other tools that brand offers that you might be interested in the future because chances are you will grab your brand of tool. Some branch out depending on need and or wanting a change. Maybe don't ONLY focus on one item