Bathroom Remodel

kruton

So I am getting started remodeling our kids bathroom. I have the tub pulled and am now starting to remove the existing floor. I'm not much of a remodeler but I haven't seen a subfloor quite like this. Under the tub are 1" boards. Under the rest of the floor there are two layers of linoleum, some type of tile and then mortar with chicken wire. The strange thing is that it drops lower than the floor joists. Not sure if that makes sense or if anyone has seen this before. I figure I'll try to post some pictures of the progress.4faefc6b462fbac67fbd9c76c5b5208c.jpg166241fe7549ab7987f09279c8f39431.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

ya looks like a gut job to do it properly floor wise, hopefully it isn't water damage from years and years. you won't want to put anything over it. Time to buy a Milwaukee SDS and get it working in chipping mode 

• Like 1

Looks like you got a mess on your hands kruton. Ive heard of the chicken wire and mortar technique, but only for tubs that need reinforcement underneath. Was it a heavy tub like cast iron or clawfoot?

The tub was cast iron but the mortar wasn't under the tub it was under the rest of the floor. That's what seemed strange to me. I forgot to mention the house was built in the early 1950s in case that helps. Not sure if maybe that was the technique at the time. I'm planning on busting it all out and then putting new subfloor down. Shouldn't be too bad since the bathroom isn't that big...but that's assuming no more surprises!

That's what sucks with older homes, something as simple as swapping out a light fixture leads to a huge project.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know it Jimbo, then when I'm up on the ladder putting the new light in, I notice the bulkhead over the kitchen cabinets is falling off the ceiling, and realize the previous owner just used 8d nails thru 2x2 to hold it up, so that has to all come down, and with it the old cabinets might as well get replaced, well now the plaster on the wall pulled off, time to gut the kitchen, then there's an old chimney they just covered up with a frame, means I gotta patch the ceiling where it went through, oops they didn't even space the studs right, hodge podge of wood in the wall, didn't even put proper studs around the kitchen window, aw man, the walls aren't square, well just have to fudge it cheese whiz where does it end......

Hope you can keep from going crazy, kruton

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

You know it Jimbo, then when I'm up on the ladder putting the new light in, I notice the bulkhead over the kitchen cabinets is falling off the ceiling, and realize the previous owner just used 8d nails thru 2x2 to hold it up, so that has to all come down, and with it the old cabinets might as well get replaced, well now the plaster on the wall pulled off, time to gut the kitchen, then there's an old chimney they just covered up with a frame, means I gotta patch the ceiling where it went through, oops they didn't even space the studs right, hodge podge of wood in the wall, didn't even put proper studs around the kitchen window, aw man, the walls aren't square, well just have to fudge it cheese whiz where does it end......

Hope you can keep from going crazy, kruton

that pretty much nails it but lightly you don't want to put in a new stair case.....

• Like 1

that pretty much nails it but lightly you don't want to put in a new stair case.....

This is hilarious you say that because I actually had to do that! Well not a compete staircase, but I bought the place and they had it half completed basically, so I put a closet under the stairs, new treads and risers, new trim, new railing, new carpet.

Oops hijacking your post sorry kruton

So I am getting started remodeling our kids bathroom. I have the tub pulled and am now starting to remove the existing floor. I'm not much of a remodeler but I haven't seen a subfloor quite like this. Under the tub are 1" boards. Under the rest of the floor there are two layers of linoleum, some type of tile and then mortar with chicken wire. The strange thing is that it drops lower than the floor joists. Not sure if that makes sense or if anyone has seen this before. I figure I'll try to post some pictures of the progress.4faefc6b462fbac67fbd9c76c5b5208c.jpg166241fe7549ab7987f09279c8f39431.jpg

They may have just used the chicken wire and mortor to raise the one lower section to the other higher part. Maybe something settled or they added on an miss figuered there numbers and didn't come up to the same heigth on block work or something? And they had the wire and mortar laying around. Instead of paying for more plywood or ripping filler strips to make up the difference. They used what they had? Hard times I guess. it's always hard to figure stuff out without being there. I'll stop rambling on and on.

Millerz

Well tearing out this floor is slow going. The chicken wire is definitely doing a great job keeping the mortar together. I really wish it did not do this well! c4ce775763be7b9efb6fe2d0158563e1.jpg Thank the Lord this is a small bathroom!

• Like 3

You using an sds drill?

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. I thought about buying one but figured I don't really need one very often. Just using the old Estwing 16oz and a 3 lb hammer.

• Like 1