2755-20 Impact, Reversing Polarity?

R3MY

I recently purchased the 2755-20 Impact for it's 'Best In Class' torque. What I failed to realize, was that the torque was 'fastening' or forward torque. I needed a cordless impact to sit in between my MAC BWP050 and Milwaukee 12v Impact in terms of torque and this fit the bill. When I went to use it, it couldn't even break a lug nut (torqued to 90 ft-lbs) loose. That's when I realized it was forward torque and not reverse/break-away torque. I can not return it, so that is why I'm wondering if I can make lemonade out this. Is it possible to reverse the polarity of the motor, or flip the forward/reverse switch so that the max torque is in the reverse setting instead of fastening. I've looked at the parts diagrams for the tool, but nothing clarifies the wiring. Before I split this thing open, I'd just like to know it's even worth attempting.

Well that's what I thought, it should have the same power to tighten as it does to break away. But in this case, not so much. Although I can't say I've tested the fastening torque. My guess is faulty unit, it was the very last one they had. So I may have just gotten a bad one.

The difference in tightening vs loosening torque on full power is more an issue of polarity of the impact mechanism.  The spring compressed in the mechanism doesn't work the same both directions.  Switching the polarity will either have no effect or stop the tool from working.  Either the input power is rectified so polarity doesn't matter, or the control board will not work on the inverted power.

• Like 2