Thread cutting,tapping etc.

Fazzman

Nice sets there Conductor.

Good point on the chaser set,I need to get one. That set shows up $80 at Sears for my area.

The Lang kit is $66.00 on Amazon.

Kastar 971 SAE and Metric Thread Restorer Kit https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003QHQEPE/ref=cm_sw_r_other_awd_qkN3wbAKQFYF8

• 3 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Man that is a lot of info on the subject, good to see. Thanks Fazzman, Kato and Conductor. You guys are the best. 

you're welcome sir,there is alot of info that i could still add perhaps ill do that today. ill just update the main post.  

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

Regular taps are not the best choice for cleaning up dirty or damaged thread. There are chaser taps and dies for that. The thread is already messed up and you don't want to lose any more metal. The chasers straighten and reshape thread and carry out dirt in the flutes. They are virtually all made by Lang, formerly Kastar, regardless of what name they are sold under. A regular tap/ die tends to cut away anything that is out of place. Look at the metal chips after using one to fix a damaged thread.
All things being equal, HHS is better than carbon steel but that is not always the case. There is a lot of HSS coming from China that is garbage and not as good as a carbon from Hanson, also sold under a bunch of other brand names. That is not just my opinion. A big seller on ebay of Chinese tap and die sets and machine tools told me that US carbon is better quality than the HSS in the big Chinese sets
Somebody said the handles are the weak spot of cheap kits. Not so. The cheap handles are easily replaced. The low quality taps and dies are what you are stuck with.
I must be missing something about those Gearwrench ratcheting handles. You are supposed to turn the tap a couple of turns and back up to break the chip. With a ratchet, don't you have to reverse it to back up? That seems like more work, not less.

Pilot drill charts are generally sized to give you a 75% thread. That is good for some materials but should be less for others.

Most sets only come with a plug tap that has 3 to 5 starter threads. A complete set has a taper with 5 to 7 for easier starting in hard materials and a bottoming tap with 2 to 3, for cutting thread to almost the bottom of a blind hole.
A lot of taps I see for sale have a spiral flute for pushing chips out in front of the tap, instead of trying to carry them up the flutes. That is great for through holes but for blind holes, not so much.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk