Decent safety glasses

Dano123

I am looking to upgrade my safety glasses soon and I wanted to know what you guys are using. My problem with the cheap ones I have is that they fog up when I wear a dust mask. I find myself not wearing a dust mask too often when I use my router because I can't see. I made an air filter out of an old furnace blower and 3 furnace filters which helps cut down the fine dust and I have filters with the vent in them, but I don't like blowing my nose all night after I work on a project. I also would like some that are somewhat scratch resistant. The last time I went to the range I grabbed a pair from the garage and when I got set up I noticed I grabbed a pair with scratches right in my line of sight. I don't want to spend a ton, but I need to get something better then the $2 ones I have. Thanks 

I have only used 3M and Bolle...both have had fog problems. Thanks for posting this, I just realized I have some Oakley anti-fog that I bought for my hockey helmet's half shield. I've found that the anti-fog sprays work ok if you apply them just before you use them.

Thanks for the input, I will try the Dewalts. Does Milwaukee make any by chance? They seem to have everything else... I will also look for some antifog spray. Wonder if a car windshield product would work? I feel like I may have seen a rain ex antifog product at one point.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I wear RX glasses so dont usually bother with safety glasses on top,but the top brands are usually  3M,Uvex,Elvex,Crews,Pyramex

I have some Uvex Stealtth goggles I wear when doing surface grinding and using cutoff wheels and such,best goggles ive found.

we stock these at work:  http://www.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11872-00000-20/dp/B00RXH6L8S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1457363891&sr=8-6&keywords=safety+glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Elvex-Go-Specs-Safety-Glasses-Foamed/dp/B0030FLD8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457363996&sr=8-2&keywords=elvex+safety+glasses

all glasses fog,some more than others,just get what feels comfy. They have a bunch at HD you can usually tryout. to reduce fogging a respirator type of mask filter usually works better.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dano123 said:

Thanks for the input, I will try the Dewalts. Does Milwaukee make any by chance? They seem to have everything else... I will also look for some antifog spray. Wonder if a car windshield product would work? I feel like I may have seen a rain ex antifog product at one point.

I think I'd try the windshield spray, the spray I have cost a lot...but it also says Oakley. I only bought it because there were reports of a delamination issue with using other cleaners on the shield, didn't really verify whether it was a rumor or fact but didn't want to risk it for the cost.

I will stop at autozone and see what they have. I am also going to run to lowes and get those 3m glasses to try. Unfortunately Home Depot is a 30 min drive for me, so I am stuck with Lowes most of the time.

I wear RX glasses so dont usually bother with safety glasses on top,but the top brands are usually  3M,Uvex,Elvex,Crews,Pyramex

I have some Uvex Stealtth goggles I wear when doing surface grinding and using cutoff wheels and such,best goggles ive found.

we stock these at work:  http://www.amazon.com/3M-Virtua-Protective-Eyewear-11872-00000-20/dp/B00RXH6L8S/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1457363891&sr=8-6&keywords=safety+glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Elvex-Go-Specs-Safety-Glasses-Foamed/dp/B0030FLD8A/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1457363996&sr=8-2&keywords=elvex+safety+glasses

all glasses fog,some more than others,just get what feels comfy. They have a bunch at HD you can usually tryout. to reduce fogging a respirator type of mask filter usually works better.

Hey Fazz I have a big head so I was wondering how you feel the width on the Uvex Stealth goggles is. I wanted to get a pair but wasn't sure how they would fit.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

They are the best goggles ive ever used,ive tried others from Pyramex and such but they cant compare to the comfort the uvex gives. i think you will be happy with them. my head isnt small either ;)   I have the Amber lensed version -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9VEAI?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage 

Can wear them all day comfortably and they can be worn under welding masks and such too.  I got the nylon case to store mine in as well i keep a few lens cleaning wipes in there to keep em clean. 

they were $16 on amazon when i ordered them   the clear lense one is $13  right now on amazon -  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003U9VE94?dpID=41aVQ6ZJU3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_SL500_SR150%2C150_&refRID=33RBN4V5K5A091DE587E&ref_=ya_od_pd_dx_mr_1

• Like 1

Is the dust mask part of the problem though? Or even the ones with outlet valve cause fogging?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It helps pinching the metal nose bridge tightly, get the ones with the valve too reduces hot breathe escaping from the top of the mask.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the DeWALT Crosscuts with the indoor and outdoor lens (DPG100). These are great safety glasses and as for the fogging with respirator...they do fog but it is easy to see with the fog compared to most cheaper glasses, These feel very nice and provide substantial shade for work outdoors. for under 9 bucks you can't beat it!

• Like 3

My solution isn't cheap but after trying maybe a dozen pairs of glasses and goggles I gave up and tried a different approach. I found those all gave me a headache. I have very good eyes and at the time (2010) the safety glasses were concerned about protection without caring about optics. My solution was Oakley. Their clear lenses are certified for shooting ranges and I've never had a problem on a job site. I can wear them all day without any ill effects. With others I'd usually start to get a headache as quickly as 30 minutes. I don't like taking things on and off and on and.... I find that's how things get broken or lost.

Aside from the cost I can't think of any other cons. They're light, different frames should enable something that fits you well and is comfy, great optics, and some frames have swappable lenses so you can get different lenses and use them for more than just "work", and you can usually find good deals St an Oakley vault or online from there too. Cheap imitations are just that tho.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 4