What chainsaw would you recommend?

DaviesJames78

Hello guys.

I've come here to find advice.

I'm currently looking around the market to try & find a chainsaw to help in some work that I want to undertake in the yard of my newly purchased property. I originally thought about paying somebody to do it for me, but I have now come up with the idea of doing it myself & turning it into my own little project.

The yard to the rear has become a little overgrown over time & the only thing I can think of that will help with the larger elements of the garden would be a chainsaw. As you will be able to tell from the image at the bottom, there is a large tree that is draped over the garden next door which I wish to get rid of, but to cut costs I would like to do it myself. 

I have looked at some different chainsaws & brands & as I don't know if I will be using it again, I don't want to spend a lot of money on it. With that said, I still want the chainsaw to be of a good standard.

Here are the different chainsaws that I have looked at so far:

http://www.husqvarna.com/uk/products/chainsaws/236/966639901/

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttl632chn-40cm-1-9hp-35cc-petrol-chainsaw/3147h

https://heckler-power.com/product/58cc-petrol-chain-saw/

What would be your recommendation from the three that I have provided? Also, any tips that you have to help better the garden you be greatly appreciated! 

Thank you!!

IMG1874.jpg.3ffbaaa3a759a77494be19e161d7

welcome to the forums......I can't say what model for sure but what I do know it is never good to cheap out on chainsaw's the cheap ones are not good and the good ones are not cheap......sorry I can't help more than that......cheers

Of the three you listed I would get the Husqvarna as they make decent equipment and I've never heard of the other three. I would look at a stihl chainsaw though. They are the go-to chainsaw of everyone I've ever worked with and are quality tools. I've loved every stihl I've used. I'm not a Heavy chainsaw user so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

You might want to consider one of the battery powered units if your not using daily or ever weekly. The tree dosen't look that big you might be able get away with a cordless/corded recip saw. Having a chainsaw is nice I had one but it sat 99% of the time after I did my major project.

Yes a cordless sawsall might be the best in this case.  I use both a Dolmar chainsaw and a cordless M18 Milwaukee Fuel Sawsall to get firewood from my woods.  I find myself using the sawsall more and more.  The sawsall would also be usefull for other things around the house.  Like cutting meta & quick cuts on lumber or demo work.

• Like 1

I second the cordless sawzall option as well. I had the same issue at my house, I have some snowmobile trails on my property and I need to clear out the overgrowth and brush every year. The chainsaw would have been a nice option, but it has limited use once you're done. Where as a cordless recip/sawzall can be used for this task as well as other projects,

I picked up the Porter and Cable unit with a 4.0 battery along with a long pruning blade and it works out great.

Here's a review I did of it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 99_XC600 said:

I second the cordless sawzall option as well. I had the same issue at my house, I have some snowmobile trails on my property and I need to clear out the overgrowth and brush every year. The chainsaw would have been a nice option, but it has limited use once you're done. Where as a cordless recip/sawzall can be used for this task as well as other projects,

I picked up the Porter and Cable unit with a 4.0 battery along with a long pruning blade and it works out great.

Here's a review I did of it.

I have this same recip and its dedicated to pruning tasks,works awesome. Cheap to get on amazon and elsewhere. Just get a decent pruning blade, diablo and bosch make some great blades.

You must be in the UK and have different brands than what I in the states am used to, except for the husqvarna. I grew up with that brand, cutting a lot of wood for the outdoor boiler at my parents, and had a very good experience with it. Another big thing was the place we bought them from was right down the road and serviced them as well. You may find yourself needing it repaired and should have a service place in mind should you run out of other options.

Redmed has mentioned Dolmar, another brand I have heard with a good reputation. I don't know what all you have available, but as comp said, the cheap ones are not good and the good ones are not cheap

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, DR99 said:

Also Chain saws are a heck of a lot more dangerous that a recip saw.  You have to worry about kickback on a chainsaw.

I second this comment. Unless you have experience with a chain saw and plan on using it enough to take the time to learn how to use it correctly, I would go with the recip saw.

Husky makes good stuff, don't know the other brands. If you decide to go the chain saw route, go to youtube and search on Husqavarna's site. Lots of great safety information on their site.

I currently have two Still's and have no complaints.

I have a stihl ms441cm, with 25" bar. Its a full professional saw, not like ones at big box stores. There's not many stihl products you can go wrong with, even husquvarna makes a decent saw. 

I know a lot of people say use your sawzaw. sawzaws are great but a chainsaw is irreplaceable. Storms are always around the corner an you never know when a chainsaw is needed. I mean I love my m18 fuel sawzaw an use it for trimming but it's not a replacement for a chainsaw. 

Everyone else thoe is certainly correct about the safety aspect. Chainsaws are much more dangerous so use it properly. 

I work with in the tree business so working with chainsaws everyday, so I chip in my advice.

If you do decide on a chainsaw no matter what brand it is its all  about the service and which is the closest service center, for me Stihl is only 5 minutes drive from me the Husquvarna is a 20 minute drive from me so I picked Stihl just in case I ever need a spare part etc.

Secondly judging by the size of your property it really doesn't look like you need a big saw something in the 35-40cc range is plenty look at the Husquvarna 135 its not a pro saw but its got plenty of grunt in it. 

Ok I have to be a safety Sally here if you do get a chainsaw I suggest getting a pair of  chainsaw chaps at most you dont need full trousers just the chaps will do and you will have them for a long time as long as you don't rip them.

If you are on a bit of a budget take a look at a brand called Echo they also make good saws for the cash. OK one more thing since its going to be used mainly for some property clearing Id suggest running the saw on Aspen/Motomix for piece of mind.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, comp56 said:

welcome to the forums......I can't say what model for sure but what I do know it is never good to cheap out on chainsaw's the cheap ones are not good and the good ones are not cheap......sorry I can't help more than that......cheers

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to cheap out too much on it, which is why I placed a spectrum, from the model that is on the Screwfix website, to the higher priced Heckler Power product. As I'm not an avid power tool purchaser, this was the first place I thought that I would check. 

Having read through the comments, I think it's safe to say that I will either rent a chainsaw, or go down the route of recip saw. I'll have to have a look around to price some things up. I may possibly be back if I need to ask any more questions.

Thank you for the help!
I'll keep your all updated with the progress of what I'm choosing & what exactly the garden ends up looking like!

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't want to cheap out too much on it, which is why I placed a spectrum, from the model that is on the Screwfix website, to the higher priced Heckler Power product. As I'm not an avid power tool purchaser, this was the first place I thought that I would check. 

Having read through the comments, I think it's safe to say that I will either rent a chainsaw, or go down the route of recip saw. I'll have to have a look around to price some things up. I may possibly be back if I need to ask any more questions.

Thank you for the help!

I'll keep your all updated with the progress of what I'm choosing & what exactly the garden ends up looking like!

We would love to see your garden as it progresses! I'm guessing that's yard in U.S. terminology?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• 3 years later...

This list will help you pick the good one because it’s a difficult task to select which one is great as there are a lot of brands in the market offering their products, but our reviews include only top-rated chainsaws.

WORX WG303.1 Powered Chain Saw, 16" Bar Length, Red

DEWALT DCCS620B 20V MAX XR Compact 12 in. Cordless Chainsaw (Tool Only)

Remington RM1645 Versa Saw 12 Amp 16-Inch Electric Chainsaw with Automatic Chain Oiler-Lightweight-Easy View Oil Window-Ergo Handle, Amp-16

Remington RM1425 Limb N Trim 8 Amp 14-Inch Lightweight Corded Electric Chainsaw, Black

GreenWorks 20222 Electric Chainsaw, 14-Inch

BLACK+DECKER 40V MAX Cordless Chainsaw, 12-Inch (LCS1240)

Greenworks 12-Inch 40V Cordless Chainsaw, 2.0 AH Battery Included 20262

Worx WG322 20V Cordless Chainsaw with Auto-Tension

Makita UC4051A 16" Electric Chain Saw

Oregon CS1500 18 in. 15 Amp Self-Sharpening Corded Electric Chainsaw

• 4 months later...

I am using a chainsaw which very good for tree cutter, this chainsaw  comfortable and suitable for us, 

we are choosing the best chainsaw at the time of purchase, so we are using it in a good way. you can select a good chainsaw at buying time., then use it in a good way in your work.