2016 Milwaukee Product Symposium

Daniel Julian

On 3/17/2016 at 2:16 AM, Stercorarius said:

Any predictions for products? Of course the fuel nailers will be a big deal. I'm expecting to see a one key high torque impact wrench too. A lot of people would like to see a cordless miter saw, but I'm not too anxious. I'd like to see if they push harder into the automotive market.

M18SMS216-0.jpg

• Like 3

6 hours ago, wildroamer said:

How long after new tool announcements are they typically available? I'm going to need a jigsaw soon...

On that note, I've been eying the Bosch corded offerings. What are your thoughts on top handle vs barrel grip?

Usually they bring up the release date during the announcement.  If it's not specified that seems to mean the tool is not production ready and we won't see it for a long time.

I prefer barrel grip, but some people like the top handle design.  The big downside of barrel grip is that you have to use a dial to set the speed and can't start the cut slow.  Makita has mitigated that by having the barrel grip start slow and ramp up when it senses resistance of cutting so Milwaukee might implement that in an update.

Skip corded models because the cords get tangled so much with a jigsaw.

• Like 1

Updated M18 vacuum!!! The old model is older than the dirt it sucks I believe. M18 Fuel framing nailer would be nice to show up at the even. I bet we might see Gen2 M12 Fuel tools and M18 one key high torque impact wrenches with their Gen2 Fuel counterparts.

• Like 2

sorry people, but this right here, is already available in the EU. its not the new fuel 10' mitre saw,

source: http://www.milwaukeetool.eu/powertools/cordless/m18-sms216/

perhaps this is what you mean?

[/Quote]

Yes I've seen pictures of that wonder elsewhere in the world, is it any good?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, rikheem said:

sorry people, but this right here, is already available in the EU. its not the new fuel 10' mitre saw,

source: http://www.milwaukeetool.eu/powertools/cordless/m18-sms216/

perhaps this is what you mean?

Still looks like an EU version... Look at the battery.

15 hours ago, Daniel Julian said:

Still looks like an EU version... Look at the battery.

Battery is vertical, not horizontal and the slide rails are in the base instead of the handle.

Definitely a 10 inch because you can hear the motor bogging down a lot on that 2x4.  A 7-8 inch would probably have much less trouble.

On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 3:24 PM, wildroamer said:

How long after new tool announcements are they typically available? I'm going to need a jigsaw soon...

On that note, I've been eying the Bosch corded offerings. What are your thoughts on top handle vs barrel grip?

I have a Bosch with the handle grip. As I've used it over the years I've realized that one is better for a specific cut. (at least to me) the top handle is great for cuts that move around a bunch. So if you are making a bunch of curves and working at a height where the surface is below your waist, the top handle works great. I think the barrel grip though would be better if your bench is a bit higher or you make cuts that are typically somewhat straighter. The barrel grip allows for a more natural grip on the saw and a less awkward arm position.

On mine, I can lock a specific speed in once I start the saw, and I also have the ability to switch between the orbital or straight action. I do not know if the barrel grip has the same features.

As far as the cord, it does get in the way sometimes, though the bosch jigsaw is considered the one ot go to. Blade changes for me over a DeWalt I once had easily make any cord hassle worth the trade off. Perhaps times have changed as my saw is easily now 10-15 years old and still going strong. With a jigsaw purchase i would definately want to handle them in store and see how each one feels.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MikeInCtown said:

I have a Bosch with the handle grip. As I've used it over the years I've realized that one is better for a specific cut. (at least to me) the top handle is great for cuts that move around a bunch. So if you are making a bunch of curves and working at a height where the surface is below your waist, the top handle works great. I think the barrel grip though would be better if your bench is a bit higher or you make cuts that are typically somewhat straighter. The barrel grip allows for a more natural grip on the saw and a less awkward arm position.

On mine, I can lock a specific speed in once I start the saw, and I also have the ability to switch between the orbital or straight action. I do not know if the barrel grip has the same features.

As far as the cord, it does get in the way sometimes, though the bosch jigsaw is considered the one ot go to. Blade changes for me over a DeWalt I once had easily make any cord hassle worth the trade off. Perhaps times have changed as my saw is easily now 10-15 years old and still going strong. With a jigsaw purchase i would definately want to handle them in store and see how each one feels.

Ive grown to love my barrel grip Bosch, love not having to play with a trigger while making more intricate cuts, for straighter cuts i still like a top handle but for more intricate work, which is what i use my jig for, i prefer the barrel grip, to each their own though ya know

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Ive grown to love my barrel grip Bosch, love not having to play with a trigger while making more intricate cuts, for straighter cuts i still like a top handle but for more intricate work, which is what i use my jig for, i prefer the barrel grip, to each their own though ya know

I think it all depends on your work level, or at least for it it does. When I make intricate cuts I generally have the work very low and I am almost on top of the work looking down, so I find the top handle easiest. (plus with the trigger lock, I "set it and forget it")  if I didn't position my work in that way, I am sure the barrel grip would be far easier. On straighter cuts I usually find that I position the work a bit higher. Not exactly sure why i do it this way, but that just seems to be the way I find myself doing the work.

• Like 1

Supposedly 30 new Fuel tools coming. So far, I see there's an M18 transfer pump and a 7" polisher, neither of which do much for me. The miter saw, on the other hand, certainly does. Looks like a string trimmer, also - again, not my thing. Here's hoping for more contractor tools!

Yeah, impact wrenches make the most sense, by far. Supposedly new security features are coming in the fall, including tool lockout. Living out in the middle of nowhere, not a big deal to me, but might be for those on large construction sites, with all sorts coming and going all day.

Ckbw7SSWEAAUGKp.jpg