Ryobi chainsaw won't start

My neighbor got a ryobi chainsaw at Home Depot. We started it up right of the box just fine. It ran as expected. Ran it off an on for about 30 minutes. When we went to start it again an it won't start. Tried everything We can think of but no luck. Looked at the manual again an still no luck. We went to lunch an let it cool down, still no luck when we got back. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Are we missing the obvious or is it a complete piece of garbage? 

Ultimately I got my stihl an we finished removing the small tree. 

Hes probably just gonna take it back to HD if we can't get it going. Literally not even a day old an already problems. I don't expect a good saw for like 175 bucks including tru fuel an bar oil. I do expect it to run a little more then a day of light use. 

My neighbor got a ryobi chainsaw at Home Depot. We started it up right of the box just fine. It ran as expected. Ran it off an on for about 30 minutes. When we went to start it again an it won't start. Tried everything We can think of but no luck. Looked at the manual again an still no luck. We went to lunch an let it cool down, still no luck when we got back. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas? Are we missing the obvious or is it a complete piece of garbage? 

Ultimately I got my stihl an we finished removing the small tree. 

Hes probably just gonna take it back to HD if we can't get it going. Literally not even a day old an already problems. I don't expect a good saw for like 175 bucks including tru fuel an bar oil. I do expect it to run a little more then a day of light use. 

Take it back asap

Millerz

On March 25, 2016 at 8:19 PM, DR99 said:

I haven't heard the best things about Ryobi 2 cycle gas tools. I had some of their string trimmers a long time ago and they were kinda crappy.

My mom got my dad one about 3 or 4 years ago. It was the grey an blue motor then the shaft could be changed out for different attachments. She just got the blower an trimmer. Both me an my dad didn't care much for it. Not even a full summer of use the shaft were the attachments change stripped out. The head on the trimmer itself was half broken as well. 

I'm sure this is also why Ryobi is pushing their 40v battery powered OPE line more and more. For the casual user electrical OPE is going to be more reliable and easier to use. For consumer use I think most people don't need gas powered OPE now unless if you have some acreage.

On 3/25/2016 at 10:19 PM, DR99 said:

I haven't heard the best things about Ryobi 2 cycle gas tools. I had some of their string trimmers a long time ago and they were kinda crappy.

As far as trimmers go, im a stihl and echo guy. A few years ago a family friend asked us if we wanted his Ryobi trimmer that he no longer needed and we of course said yes  because who doesn't love free tools. Other then being extremely bulky and ugly, it runs. We'll see if we can get it up and running this year. I have no experience with any other ryobi 2 cycle gas tools.

3 minutes ago, PROTOOLNUT said:

I owned one back in 2001, it was a 32cc model. The sucker transferred so much vibration into my hands that they started going numb. Thats not a good thing, numbness it he beginning of white finger disease, so it forced me to buy some kevlar gloves to use that thing. Then in 2004 is when I bought my Stihl FS250R, which as you know is a kickass 40.2cc trimmer, that is no longer made today due to the EPA, once again, showing the small engine market how big its d*** is, and now all they sell for top grade trimmer is a 37cc.

Echo and stihl are the only trimmers I will buy. I have an echo trimmer (not sure what model) that has been abused every year for about 20 years. The only thing we had to replace was a gas line. That thing is a beast! You can't go wrong with stihl or echo!

Personally I wouldn't of bought a ryobi chainsaw. He was trying to be cheap an well look what happened. I know there not the best but one would think you would get more use out of it. We just bought that fuel that day from homedepot an it was still good, so it couldn't be that. He's just gonna return it thoe so all is good. 

Before the fire I had several cheap chainsaws, that I repaired. Ususally all they needed is a spark plug an someone was throwing them away. I also had a good stihl farm boss an a broken ms650 I think it was. The farm boss was my go to saw. After the fire I went from all those to the stihl ms441. The 441 is a great saw but rather pricy. It's a true professional saw an worth the money. I don't use it as much as I did a year ago. It's still good to have thoe. 

16 minutes ago, Fletcher94 said:

Personally I wouldn't of bought a ryobi chainsaw. He was trying to be cheap an well look what happened. I know there not the best but one would think you would get more use out of it. We just bought that fuel that day from homedepot an it was still good, so it couldn't be that. He's just gonna return it thoe so all is good. 

Before the fire I had several cheap chainsaws, that I repaired. Ususally all they needed is a spark plug an someone was throwing them away. I also had a good stihl farm boss an a broken ms650 I think it was. The farm boss was my go to saw. After the fire I went from all those to the stihl ms441. The 441 is a great saw but rather pricy. It's a true professional saw an worth the money. I don't use it as much as I did a year ago. It's still good to have thoe. 

Stihl makes the best chainsaws. I have 3 stihls right now an love all of them. They will do anything you need them to.

• Like 2

I can see being cheap on a chain saw especially if your buying it on a whim. If I knew I needed a good chainsaw because my property required it I would troll different tool forums looking for a deal. The thing is most people buy a chain saw on a whim, and don't want to drop 400 dollars on one because they might use it one per year if that. For a person that is only using a chainsaw occasional a battery powered unit is probably the best option. Also like Protool mentioned the EPA I think will pass emission rules that all but make selling consumer small engine tools uneconomical. They already run so freaking lean that they run and start like crap the consumer OPE

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

Well I have a similar problem with mine it’s not even a year old I cut down a good size tree and I am cutting up the stump and the saw gets really hot by the handle and after cutting for a little bit the saw will stop and will not start no matter what until it’s been hours I don’t understand why and I noticed that the filter in the tank floats to the top of the gas tank a lot.I tried to contact hd and they said I would have to pay a 23.00 dollar diagnostic fee even when it’s still under warranty makes no sense to me.

• 11 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A fuel issue is one of the most common reasons why a chainsaw won't start. To solve this problem, open the spark plug hole facing away from you to drain all the fuel in the tank. Then pull the starter cord several times while holding the throttle, dry and replace the spark plug, and then try starting the chainsaw again. If it's not solved,  you have to take it apart and clean a carburetor. If it needs cleaning, the parts that need cleaning can't see from the outside.