Milwaukee Impact Driver (2656-20) Loose Battery Wobble

olletsocmit

This is New today... My drill no others do this.  The 18v batters has a little play front to back, but what is bothering me is the play side to side I can move it side to side about 1/8".... Anyone else have this issue? Normal?  

Note: added short video in post below. 

Edited by Tim C
Added video below

1 hour ago, Tim C said:

Here is a quick video I just made while working on my lawn mower.Youneed to turn the sound up so u can hear it.  Got this tonight. Worried it will be super loose in a year?  Should I exchange it tomorrow?

Video: https://youtu.be/nuVEZ2BgfPQ

Sorry, can't really see a problem, that seems normal to me. What are you comparing it to that it seems loose? Any cordless power tool i've used can do that, Makita, Ryobi, Dewalt, Milwaukee, maybe there is one or two out there that has extremely close tight fit, but I never give it a thought unless it's extremely bad

14 minutes ago, Tim C said:

Ok thanks guys. My drill has none. Solid 

Ok, good! Could you do another video showing both impact and drill and how tight each battery is? Then we can get a comparison for each tool and i will check mine, as well...

1 hour ago, khariV said:

Is the wobble intentional to keep all of the vibrations from transferring into the battery pack? I'll have to check all of my M18s to see how tight they are.

I don't think that's the case.  High vibration tools like an OMT (seriously the name includes a synonym for vibrating) or hammer drill typically have rubber bumpers to dampen vibration to the battery while keeping it snug.

My new one key impact driver has the side to side play as did the new fuel impact driver that I returned. The drills do not have the side to side play. It gets annoying because the battery does shake a little as the tool is impacting and you get more feedback than you should.

18 hours ago, Bmill25 said:

Is it possible that it's the battery that's the issue and not the tool?

No i dont think so, both batteries do it in the driver.  I am gonna go to home depot tomorrow to pick up some things.  I will check out the displays and see if they do it.

8 hours ago, Bigmikez said:

Hey Tim I know u just picked this kit up but did you see the milwaukee bundle deal that HD is running today? It's a really nice price for more tools bro I would definitely check it out. 

Hey I just saw this post, I paid $169 for my kit.  Looks like its now $200 for my kit in store and if you order online its $200 and comes with light.  Do not see the cheaper on.

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 11.56.17 PM.png

Screen Shot 2016-04-18 at 11.57.51 PM.png

yes seems to be a hit or a miss, mass produced, is most likely within tolerances but for personal reasons I can see it being a bother. none of my M18 line do it or enough to notice....if it is not to much trouble go to store and check a few sets out and pick the one you are most comfortable with. I will tell you however, none of mine have changed over time which would be the main reason I would concerned.  

On 4/18/2016 at 8:14 PM, khariV said:

Is the wobble intentional to keep all of the vibrations from transferring into the battery pack? I'll have to check all of my M18s to see how tight they are.

This appears to be the case, the battery is not meant to be completely snug on the tool, because I read that the electrical connections are able to move around and take the vibration of the tool, instead of trying to keep the battery completely snug on the tool, which is impossible with high vibrations some tools experience....

Mystery solved, and also, there is a gen 2 high torque impact wrench coming!!!

Notice the vibration on the battery, but the connections in the tool are springy and move with the battery so they can take the vibration. The battery moving around on the tool is accounted for...

"

• jkirk_trimkat Lots of power. Only thing I noticed that could be a concern is the battery bouncing around.. the contacts could get bad over time
  • krugerconstruction@jkirk_trimkat man so funny you say that! When I was at the service center they showed me the inside of batteries and also pointed out the battery connector on the bottom of the tools. Most of them are spring loaded so the connections move with the battery rather then the tool. Also the connection to the cells have 4 separate welds rather then 1 like on other manufacturers. I was impressed to see the inside of there packs in person ? Dirck sorry for bombing on your post I don't enjoy people doing it to me all the time, I was actually going to do a post about this
  • jkirk_trimkatAhh so they've already addressed it with shock absorbtion per say similar to makita with their 18v bx impact wrench
  • krugerconstructionExcept they pointed out one of the tools that doesn't have it is the high torque impact wrench lol the 2nd gen will have it though ?@jkirk_trimkat
  • ack_workbench@krugerconstruction No worries. Good information. I was surprised to see all that movement!

"

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/17/2016 at 11:40 PM, olletsocmit said:

This is New today... My drill no others do this.  The 18v batters has a little play front to back, but what is bothering me is the play side to side I can move it side to side about 1/8".... Anyone else have this issue? Normal?  

Note: added short video in post below. 

I meant to ask you why you were concerned with this original query? Do you have other platforms to compare with or is this your first cordless and were questioning out of a general concern? I actually took that one instagram post i put here a step further and took my 2712 SDS+ drill and the terminals are indeed spring loaded to always put pressure on the battery.

-

• Like 1

On May 8, 2016 at 8:50 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

I meant to ask you why you were concerned with this original query? Do you have other platforms to compare with or is this your first cordless and were questioning out of a general concern? I actually took that one instagram post i put here a step further and took my 2712 SDS+ drill and the terminals are indeed spring loaded to always put pressure on the battery.

-

Wow man, thanks for all the really great info and posts!  My new fuel set I got about a month ago now has wobble. It was my first Milwaukee set and I was just worried. My previous Dewalt was like a rock. I am comfortable with my batteries  being a little loose now.