Makita (TINY) 18v Brushless Impact Driver Review - DTD148

dwain

As promised, here's the review. This is a surprising little tool!

Write-up (from Tumblr)

Makita has lots of 18v impact drivers, so why bother reviewing the umpteenth revamp? Because this one is a groundbreaker. Its so tiny! At a length of just 119mm (that's 4.7" for the unhappy folks living in the 19th century), its hardly bigger than your hand.

You could (but won't) be excused for thinking its a toy, but its specs put it ahead of the competition.

• Length: 119mm
  • Torque: 175Nm
  • 3-Speed: 0-1100, 0-2100, 0-3600 RPM
  • Weight: 0.88kg (bare) or 1.4 kg with full size battery
  • Built-in LED battery indicator

It feels great in the hand, is super fast driving all sized fasteners and will fit almost anywhere your hand can. Its basically a smaller, torquier version of the previous (awesome) brushless impact driver, the DTD145.

Any dislikes? Only the price. At $270ish you'll be walking crooked (I'm not sure that's a thing), so it might pay to wait for a price drop. Watch the video!

That is one sweet impact! I'm due for and upgrade and this will be it when it hits our shores!!

That thing looks fast

I still have the impacts that I got when I bought into the lxt line about 6 years ago (btd141 I believe) and one newer lxdt04 they all get daily use and I have never had a problem with any of them! I can only imagine the new 148 is gonna be a huge upgrade!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Nice review, but you guys suck for making a video for a tool that I've discovered I can't live without but can't buy!

Just a thought for the powers-that-be... How about working out a deal where a bunch of TIA tees are swapped for a bunch of OTT tees? That way the Aussies get some American swag and we get some of theirs?

Just make sure there's some 3XL white or flo yellow/orange in the shipment, for us real man-sized guys. LOL

I know the feeling BK13, American's have such a huge range of tools compared to us, and you have Amazon! Very jealous.

RE: T-shirts. It would probably just be easier to swap the graphics, and have them printed at our local stores to avoid shipping.

I probably wouldn't have a problem providing our graphics to anyone who wanted them. But in reality, I can't see anyone forking out their hard earned to get Oz Tool Talk printed on a t-shirt!