Milter saw dust collection test

Kenneth Denmark

I don't do video reviews however I don't play classical guitar either and yet I can hear when someone makes a mistake.....now given this guy went through extensive measures to do his review he may as well trash the results if he doesn't use same type of blade on each........

if he is reviewing the dust collection of each model saw he should have used actual stock blade for each saw and then measured the difference........

after purchasing my BRAND NEW car I installed a different set of Tires and got 6MPG more???

He says he is reviewing the capabilities of each saw but he actually is showing what a better blade can do with each saw 

Yeah he said all the saws would use the same blades. Don't know why the Bosch used a different blade. The other issue is not the heavy dust that you can sweep up it's the fine dust that you can't see that stays in the air for quite a while and is the stuff that can really cause damage to you and you lungs. That is the dust that worries me. Anybody can clean up a mess. Can't get fine dust out of your lungs though.

• Like 1

at first I thought it was ok

i think there are 3 things wrong with this review

he doesn't use the same blade in all saws

he is only measuring the heavy dust that settle and not the dust that blew outside his box

he uses 2 different extractors. im not sure why. surely he could have used the same machine but with some kind of adapter. is that a 36mm or 28mm hose on the festool.

we will be reviewing the Makita cordless circular saw and putting it up against the Milwaukee m18 Fuel circular saw .....oh by the way the Milwaukee will be cutting 1"x 4" balsa wood and the Makita will be cutting 3"x10" maple........????

I was thinking it was the smaller one.

that hose is too small  for that job.

and to make it worse the hose cuff goes into the dc port making it smaller

when I put my ct22 festool vac on my ts55 with the 27mm hose  , you can really notice the reduced dust collection compared to the 36mm.

basically he is comparing different saws dust collection  using 2 vacs that are extracting at 2 completely different rates.

this in itself invalidates the review. you are comparing apples to oranges

Interesting video KWC. You guys brought up some valid points about the test most notably the blade in the Bosch. Also, he used a shop vac on some of the machines. The Midi on others. Throughout the test he used the 27mm hose on the midi. First off....I have two of those hoses. They work great on my TS55REQ and my Carvex. It's total crap on my Kapex. May as well not use a hose (well not true but not efficient at all). I bought a Bosch 35mm hose and an anti static 50mm hose. Those collect the large volumes of dust the Kapex makes and I might add on my DW745 saw too.

Additionally, a shop vac ain't a DC. Totally different, it doesn't collect that dust. It collects the large stuff as some of you guys mentioned and that would affect the test. The Bosch and Festool hoses both work on my midi and you guys are correct, a simple adapter would have yielded different results. Regardless of the hose size you could at least make a more consistent result although the larger diameter hoses on the saws work better. Also the blade on the Bosch was an issue. I read a post on the FOG, and this is of interest to you Madman (and anyone else that has the Axial) one of the members added the Kapex dust shroud to the Bosch drastically improving its DC.

Yeah if you visit Festool USA you should be able to,obtain the part number and order from there. I don't imagine it's be more than fifteen bucks or so. It literally,clips on to the metal housing. It's great because it longer and directs that dust and particulate into the chute.

• 2 weeks later...

I think this test was good but like others have stated, some things should have been done to keep the results a little more scientific. The 35mm hose is a must. I haven't tried the 50mm. Does it make a big difference Chris? Regardless I was impressed with the collection of the 717!

I think this test was good but like others have stated, some things should have been done to keep the results a little more scientific. The 35mm hose is a must. I haven't tried the 50mm. Does it make a big difference Chris? Regardless I was impressed with the collection of the 717!

Well I ended up buying two hoses Andrew. I bought the Festool anti static 50mm short hose and the Bosch 35mm hose. I was using the standard anti static 27mm hose which works awesome on every tool I own from Festool EXCEPT the KAPEX! I got the 35mm Bosch hose first and I was blown away at how much better the DC was. The 50mm is slightly noticeably better, plus the anti static does actually help. But to go out and buy one? If I remember, I'll through together a quick video this week with the different hoses on!

• Like 1