ToughSystem Battery System

Stercorarius

https://youtu.be/dtDbzXxAQ88 (for you tapatalk users)

So the other day the idea to 3D print inserts for a ToughSystem case was floated around in another topic, by Comp iirc   JasonC. Anyway, I really liked the idea and tinkered around with it. What I have is rough at best. It is more of a proof of concept than anything. The final units will be more compact so you can get in a couple more batteries and I'll have an interchangeable unit that fits two compact batteries and a unit that takes the place of two of those regular ones and holds a charger. The measurements aren't dialed all the way in as my case is still in transit. So the question I have for all y'all is whether you would prefer, A) The modular units set up that uses a whole case, or more of a battery rail that velcros somewhere that just is like a socket rail but with battery mounts, or C) a hybrid of both that takes up the whole case but is configured solely for maximum batteries for the space? I'm not posting this in the DeWalt subsection because yellow could just as easily be red, blue, green, or orange and have the brackets for the respective batteries.

• Like 3

So I still don't have my case so I did a little work on the rail Idea so far I have a single bracket rail with a multi battery rail soon to come. Some features I'd like to point out on it are the countersunk holes so it can be mounted anywhere using drywall screws and the recessed rectangles on the back face designed to fit double sided 3M tape for convenient mounting in your ToughCase that can just as easily be used with velcro. Thoughts? If anyone has a 3D printer I'll send you the file because I want to double check that the tolerances aren't too tight on the battery bracket. I'd hate to have all these drawn up then find out batteries don't actually click in.

post-53737-0-36416300-1453316729_thumb.jFull size rails. Once again with provisions for drywall screws or double sided tape. It is a hollow 3/16 thick shell so it won't eat up as much material but still maintains its rigidity. At this size you can fit one in a tough case front to back or two going side to side. It is the biggest rail your average 3D printer can handle. If anybody is interested in the files lemme know.

• Like 1

'Nother question for you guys. I drew up a module for double compact batteries is an option then I can't shrink the modules to fit in more full size batteries. So the options are 8 full size slots with each full size slot interchangeable with 2 double compacts (so potentially 16 compact batteries or 4 full size and 8 compacts, you get the idea), or I could trash the double compact battery idea and have the potential to fit in maybe 10 or 15 full size batteries. I'm not even sure ten or 15 is doable with how thin the material would be.post-53737-0-28022600-1453318132_thumb.j

My vote and $$$s would go to a modular system with a standard shell size that could hold any of a number of different color batteries. In other words, a box that has spaces for 12 batteries where you could configure it for 6 M18s, 2 M12s (maybe 2 batteries per shell), and a couple of Yellow 20V 4.0s.  Swapping out shells for your battery collection would make it extra useful for those of use who haven't managed to keep all of our tools one color / size.  This could also help even if you have all one color, but have different sizes (4.0 vs 1.5 AH for example).

• Like 1

CyT5h8z0kUo

So this is more or less the finished product until I get my case and can verify dimensions. I do plan on getting these printed to try out for myself. I scrapped the whole (2x) compact battery module unit because by doing that I was able to get 15 full size batteries in a case rather than 8 full size or 16 compacts. So they're done for now. If anyone wants the files for their printers they can have them. I don't intend to make any money off of these just if I give you the files I'd appreciate it if you didn't try making money off of them either. That being said maybe I could try and trade the design to DeWalt for some free batteries> :D

https://youtu.be/CyT5h8z0kUo

My vote and $$$s would go to a modular system with a standard shell size that could hold any of a number of different color batteries. In other words, a box that has spaces for 12 batteries where you could configure it for 6 M18s, 2 M12s (maybe 2 batteries per shell), and a couple of Yellow 20V 4.0s.  Swapping out shells for your battery collection would make it extra useful for those of use who haven't managed to keep all of our tools one color / size.  This could also help even if you have all one color, but have different sizes (4.0 vs 1.5 AH for example).

I'm definitely open to making the units go in for different battery platforms, all my 12v batteries are M12s and all my 18vs are DeWalts. Currently it does use the "shells" idea (see video above). I could easily make an interchangeable "shell" that would accept any style/brand/size battery. I toyed around with the different size idea and by making the units big enough to fit 2 1.5ah batteries I almost cut the amount of batteries I could store in half so you should be able to fit any size battery in the slots that are the size of the biggest battery because they have an integrated mount on the side that is identical to the way they mount on the bottom of your drill. The batteries snap in and are completely secure. The only problem with multiple battery platforms is:

1. I don't plan on selling this so their isn't any incentive to spend my time on platforms I'm not invested in. Don't get me wrong I'd make an M18 version if there was the interest but I don't know that enough people would want something like that.
  2. Since you can't feasibly 3D print a case big enough this is all based on the ToughSystem case, which isn't a problem but a lot of guys that are hardcore red wouldn't be caught dead with a yellow case and the shells would have to be redesigned to swap out the units in one of thesep_1000835671.jpgwhich is by no means a bad idea and I could do as I have one on hand but I that leads me to reason 3.
  3. I only have DeWalt 20v batteries and M12s so even if I wanted to branch out into the other brands I couldn't without a physical battery to reference and the $100+ for a reference battery isn't worth it to me unless I had tools that use it.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...