"Do not buy" thread

BMack37

I've seen this kind of thread elsewhere and thought it was a good idea to save each other from potential disappointment. I'm thinking we keep it to hand tools or accessories right now. Please limit it to individual tools and not crapping on entire brands or countries of manufacture. Pictures and descriptions of why a tool is a do not buy will be helpful for those reading but is not a requirement.

• Like 6

Engineer PZ-01 Ring Pliers:

These are made for smaller E-clip retaining ring pliers. They're designed to grab an E-clip so you can pull it off instead of popping it off. Since there are limited pictures I couldn't see the design flaw before I picked it up, the problem is that the jaws are designed like normal pliers and the jaws are the same thickness on both sides. I was expecting them, especially after having used and loved their screw extraction pliers, to have better engineered the tool. The jaw is simply too thick to fit under any E-clip I could find. I haven't been able to install or remove any e-clip with these.

qhbBtOn.jpg

dOJRmlt.jpg

Knipex Electricians pliers:

Here's a somewhat surprising "Do not buy" because of the brand. Knipex Electricians pliers. They're not bad pliers but based on the cost($30 at Sears, $45 at KC tool) and what these can do, you can find better. The Kleins are a lot bigger but do a lot more. I still use these but mostly as pliers.

lQ3lKS9.jpg

Kobalt ratchets annoyances:

The current lineup of Kobalt ratchets that are made in Taiwan appear to be made by Toptul, which makes great products but there are a couple of annoyances that bug me. The minor annoyance switch to change direction of the ratchet is opposite of most other ratchets, HF ratchets are the same way.

The major annoyance is the flex head ratchets. They don't even come close to locking in place, so if there is any pressure the head will flex in the direction of the pressure. This includes pushing the quick release, which involves you holding the head in place or letting it droop to a 90 degree angle forward.

Milwaukee shockwave drive bits:

Whether it's first or second gen, both series of bits they're not very strong and the fit of phillips heads is not very good. They're probably the worst impact bits available from Home Depot.

2dcbe090583d45fe46c8f9ae7743c82f.jpg

Irwin convertible snap ring pliers, you can adjust for internal or external snap rings but they take multiple attempts to get a good grab otherwise they feel cheap and tend to flex due to the way the head only attaches on two posts.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Irwin convertible snap ring pliers, you can adjust for internal or external snap rings but they take multiple attempts to get a good grab otherwise they feel cheap and tend to flex due to the way the head only attaches on two posts.

Jimbo

You've got to be kidding me, I JUST bought a pair a week or so ago, I don't think I even opened the packaging yet... Oh well.

To add to this thread, I will say stay away from Kobalt pipe wrenches. They are the one thing that stands out in my mind when it comes to hand tools. I don't have a pair, but a coworker does, and whenever I picked them up on a job with him, I would attempt to use them and my eye would start twitching, the threaded parts on both the jaw and nut are awful, so loose it's embarrassing, the jaws don't grab, it takes me longer to set the width of the jaws than it does to tighten the fitting down. In all, between adjusting the jaws and half gripping/slipping on the pipe, I could have made a tighter joint with my bare hands, absolutely maddening....

1 minute ago, KnarlyCarl said:

You've got to be kidding me, I JUST bought a pair a week or so ago, I don't think I even opened the packaging yet... Oh well.

To add to this thread, I will say stay away from Kobalt pipe wrenches. They are the one thing that stands out in my mind when it comes to hand tools. I don't have a pair, but a coworker does, and whenever I picked them up on a job with him, I would attempt to use them and my eye would start twitching, the threaded parts on both the jaw and nut are awful, so loose it's embarrassing, the jaws don't grab, it takes me longer to set the width of the jaws than it does to tighten the fitting down. In all, between adjusting the jaws and half gripping/slipping on the pipe, I could have made a tighter joint with my bare hands, absolutely maddening....

Lol they look awesome too but I'm not a fan of them, they are still usable but not the greatest, but for the price you can't really beat them because a full set would cost you 10 bucks a pair... you'll see what i mean when you use them, might be a video topic this upcoming week.

34 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Jimbo

I've had bad luck with that style, I heard the Sears version is better. It seems nicer but I'm hesitant. I am really happy with my springless switchable retaining ring pliers, shame Craftsman went with a new made in Taiwan version with the screw. Just a personal preference there.

There are the ones I like(large size only available): http://www.sears.com/craftsman-qtr-turn-reg-convertible-retaining-ring-pliers/p-00947384000P?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

This is the (I think made in USA) changeable tips one that everyone seems to like: http://www.sears.com/craftsman-professional-retaining-ring-pliers-internal-external/p-00947412000P?sellerId=SEARS&prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

Dewalt compact reciprocating saw. Some of you already know how I feel...

Dewalt-DCS387-Reciprocating-Saw.jpg

Should one find themselves considering, seek immediate liquor and drown oneself into forgetfulness to prevent a horrible decision of epic proportions. Every time one if these is sold, God kills 11 baby chinchillas with a spork. 

Seriously though...It just foggin sucks in all ways a hand tool could. It beats the hell out of you, cuts poorly, the tool-less release lever flops about like a flamboyant kid at a Boy George concert. It's just awful. 

• Like 6

44 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Dewalt compact reciprocating saw. Some of you already know how I feel...

Dewalt-DCS387-Reciprocating-Saw.jpg

Should one find themselves considering, seek immediate liquor and drown oneself into forgetfulness to prevent a horrible decision of epic proportions. Every time one if these is sold, God kills 11 baby chinchillas with a spork. 

Seriously though...It just foggin sucks in all ways a hand tool could. It beats the hell out of you, cuts poorly, the tool-less release lever flops about like a flamboyant kid at a Boy George concert. It's just awful. 

I remember you talking about this which led me straight to the fuel

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

Harbor freight warrior brand socket adapters. They may last a while, but you'll be kicking yourself while you try to drill the broken stub out of your impact driver chuck.

You're also want to get an impact rated adapter. While a non impact rated adapter might not break, I've heard that with some heavy use and torque they can twist and cause the bit to essentially wedge itself in the quick release.

6 hours ago, comp56 said:

like a coin having to sides, I have bought knowingly cheap items that turned out to be pretty good overall.....

Was considering doing the exact opposite of this thread depending on how well this thread does. I was also considering a Harbor Freight good/bad thread because there are some gems and some really crap items there...doesn't really help you because Canada has Princess Auto but there may be some crossover tools between the two.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, BMack37 said:

Was considering doing the exact opposite of this thread depending on how well this thread does. I was also considering a Harbor Freight good/bad thread because there are some gems and some really crap items there...doesn't really help you because Canada has Princess Auto but there may be some crossover tools between the two.

yes we have PA but closer to HF is ToolTown it pretty much same as HF.....probably same suppliers

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Bmack I'm a big fan of this thread and having another one like comp suggested, cheap buys that work out well.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol....all my tools are bought on the cheap...that's how I roll.......haha

• Like 4

Red Devil (a.k.a., "unbranded") plastic-cutting tool. I'd typically use my circular saw or jig saw, but I was curious whether quieter and less-messy could also be accurate or even practical. In this case, I got my answer all too soon. lol You can see my review at the Home Depot for the full story.

bandicam 2016-03-19 16-31-00-017.jpg

bandicam 2016-03-19 16-30-31-519.jpg

bandicam 2016-03-19 16-31-14-134.jpg

bandicam 2016-03-19 16-31-25-694.jpg

I am a frequent shopper of Harbor Freight and I am usually impressed with the value. I did buy a 6' I beam level there that is curved. I didn't notice it for months until I went to use it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

On 3/19/2016 at 5:47 PM, JimboS1ice said:

2dcbe090583d45fe46c8f9ae7743c82f.jpg

Jimbo

I pretty much stay away from anything Irwin anymore... they released some re-branded NWS pliers, but knowing how badly Irwin screwed up Vise-Grips, I'll just get the original.

I will buy new Vise-Grips when Ace or somebody else has them for cheap... I'll not pay more than $7 a pop for them.

These have been my biggest let down and I've purchased a huge amount. The whole package just seems cheaply made and they were quite expensive, case was flimsy and distorted, it take numerous attempts to get the bits to lock into the holder and then once you start to drill countersinks the bit will stay stuck in the wood anyway. There trend/snappy I should mention. I replaced them with a set of makita countersinks for quarter the price and there better in my opinion snapflipset_500.jpg