question for the festool guys...

jackfinzo

OK so I have been doing a lot of research and think I'm confusing myself more than helping myself!!! :P

I have the Makita plunge saw with one short track (59inch I think). I plan to buy the 118 inch Makita track very soon for accurate ripping 8 foot sheets. I also want the Bosch 1600 router as soon as I can afford it! I definitely want to be able to use the router with the track. So I went looking to see if there was something available for Bosch router to work accurately with Makita track. I then stumbled across Festools LR32 track with the holes and drilling set . Lets just say I now want it!!! But its very expensive but may be worth it if I can gather the money at some stage.

That brings me to the conclusion of...

1) Will Makita plunge saw work on the Lr32 track with no problems? People say its compatible but they never said if its perfect or its a case of you can get buy with it if your stuck?

2) Is lr32 track and drilling  system worth it?

3) Will the Bosch 1600 router work on the Festool LR32 drilling base?

4) Will the LR32 system, track and Bosch router work together on other tasks example routing a dado or is it only suitable for drilling the holes?

5) I see Festool also do a longer LR32 track, just short of 8 foot . So I was thinking if ye answer yes to question one I could just buy the long Festool track and not get the Makita 118 inch at all. BUT being just short of 8 foot seems very impractical as if anything it should be minimum of 9 foot so that I have some track either side of the sheet to rest saw on and also if I wanted to cut at an angle?

As some of ye may remember me a while back making that large purchase of both Makita and Dewalts higher end cordless and some corded gear. I said I would review every item I bought in order to thank ye for all the fantastic info ye shared with me. I am still working on them Iv  just been very busy and want to give the tools a fair run for their money before I speak!! I will keep my word though just may take a little longer than planned!!

Thanks guys and I really would appreciate any info you can give me . Or point out anything I may be overlooking!

Thanks. Jack.

• Like 1

That's awesome you have reviews coming, but I'm afraid I can't help you with the question you came here with, @ChrisK is known for his excellent advise on the festool items, but meanwhile, I'll just wait with baited breath on your Makita and Dewalt rundown!!

• Like 2

Jack, my friend. My sweet forum member. Run. Hide. Never look at green again. If you do decide on the purchase of any blue and green tool, you undoubtably will never stop smiling. But.....you'll never have any money again.

With that Surgeon General warning.....I don't have the Makita track saw. I do have the Festool TS55REQ and I know I can use my track saw on your rails. I have been told that the Makita Track Saw will work on the Festool rails but I have to caution you that this only comes from reading multiple posts, not actual knowledge in hand. Now, of this information is correct, your Makita TS will work on the LR32 rails regardless of length. The rails are identical minus the drills and consequently some weight. 

I do do own the LR32. I absolutely love it. The problem inherent with what your asking is the LR32 is designed to work only with Festool routers. It's part of their proprietary system of tools. The following is an excerpt from the FOG and there is some real hope that you could re drill the LR32 baseplate and therefore attach your router! Remember that you will want a SPIRAL UPCUT BIT. I have a Whiteside Router bit and the reason being is purchased the base LR32 which comes with everything you need but at a substantial cost difference....

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/routers/hole-drilling-system/lr-32-hole-drilling-set-583290

Vs.....

https://www.festoolusa.com/power-tool-accessories/routers/hole-drilling-system/lr-32-hole-drilling-set-in-systainer-584100

In my case I bought the base set, got the Whiteside bit and was all set to go and put it in an extra Systainer 1 I had in the shop. Saved some serious coin.  What follows is the excerpt from the FOG....

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-tools-accessories/lr-32-guide-plate-494340/

I hope this helps and there are cheaper ways to do it undoubtably. Generally speaking I don't push Festool as it is expensive but there is a reason for the associated costs. Regopit and NER are also into the Festool lineup.  

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Video is private chris, think you have to change some settings on your end...

Hehehehehehe yeah, after the drama I privated all of my videos in response to thinking I might get some grief ;)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jackfinzo said:

OK so I have been doing a lot of research and think I'm confusing myself more than helping myself!!! :P

I have the Makita plunge saw with one short track (59inch I think). I plan to buy the 118 inch Makita track very soon for accurate ripping 8 foot sheets. I also want the Bosch 1600 router as soon as I can afford it! I definitely want to be able to use the router with the track. So I went looking to see if there was something available for Bosch router to work accurately with Makita track. I then stumbled across Festools LR32 track with the holes and drilling set . Lets just say I now want it!!! But its very expensive but may be worth it if I can gather the money at some stage.

That brings me to the conclusion of...

1) Will Makita plunge saw work on the Lr32 track with no problems? People say its compatible but they never said if its perfect or its a case of you can get buy with it if your stuck?

2) Is lr32 track and drilling  system worth it?

3) Will the Bosch 1600 router work on the Festool LR32 drilling base?

4) Will the LR32 system, track and Bosch router work together on other tasks example routing a dado or is it only suitable for drilling the holes?

5) I see Festool also do a longer LR32 track, just short of 8 foot . So I was thinking if ye answer yes to question one I could just buy the long Festool track and not get the Makita 118 inch at all. BUT being just short of 8 foot seems very impractical as if anything it should be minimum of 9 foot so that I have some track either side of the sheet to rest saw on and also if I wanted to cut at an angle?

As some of ye may remember me a while back making that large purchase of both Makita and Dewalts higher end cordless and some corded gear. I said I would review every item I bought in order to thank ye for all the fantastic info ye shared with me. I am still working on them Iv  just been very busy and want to give the tools a fair run for their money before I speak!! I will keep my word though just may take a little longer than planned!!

Thanks guys and I really would appreciate any info you can give me . Or point out anything I may be overlooking!

Thanks. Jack.

I didn't answer all of your other questions!

4) The track is designed (in the LR32 case) to do the drilling for the shelf pin system here is an interesting read for you....

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/lr32_tutorial.pdf

and...

http://www.festoolusa.com/media/pdf/routing_adjustable_shelf_pin_holes_with_the_of_1000_e_router.pdf

to answer your question as far as cutting dados? Absolutely, you can make or modify and slide for the rail (any rail, not just the LR32) to cut dados but the LR32 base is set up with a spring and toggle assembly which would really inhibit the use of the router for dadoing purposes. Use of a rail and extension set is what you would need you could modify one or perhaps make your own.

5) I have the 118" rail but only the 55" LR32. I believe the longest LR32 rail is 95", not sure why they just didn't go up to 118" but to be honest with you having two or more rails is a good idea. You can join rails easily enough and having the shorter LR32 and the longer 118" makes life a lot easier. Try putting a 118" on a piece of plywood for a crosscut with a 24" span. Pain in the butt!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, ChrisK said:

Jack, my friend. My sweet forum member. Run. Hide. Never look at green again. If you do decide on the purchase of any blue and green tool, you undoubtably will never stop smiling. But.....you'll never have any money again.

I couldn't agree more!!! I really don't want to go near Festool if at all possible.

So after spending yet another evening humming and hawing over Festool I believe I have decided to put it on hold at least for now. Its an amazing system and I do believe I would put it to great use but it works out a fair bit more then the Bosch 1600 and I already see my Bosch 1600 as a big investment as is, especially after all the buying I am after doing.

As I said I have the short Makita track and what I am going to do now is buy the 118 inch Makita track and another short one when I get the cash. I am also going to go ahead and buy the Bosch 1600 router with both bases (seems like the best router in its category and price scale?)

I plan to then make a home made shelf pin jig as a complete separate system without the use of a track.

What I do still want to get at some stage though is a adaptor/jig that will fit or I can make fit my Bosch 1600 and the Makita track so it can use the router for precise straight work? Any suggestion welcomed.

Thanks a mill for all the help guys it really does help!

1 minute ago, jackfinzo said:

I couldn't agree more!!! I really don't want to go near Festool if at all possible.

So after spending yet another evening humming and hawing over Festool I believe I have decided to put it on hold at least for now. Its an amazing system and I do believe I would put it to great use but it works out a fair bit more then the Bosch 1600 and I already see my Bosch 1600 as a big investment as is, especially after all the buying I am after doing.

As I said I have the short Makita track and what I am going to do now is buy the 118 inch Makita track and another short one when I get the cash. I am also going to go ahead and buy the Bosch 1600 router with both bases (seems like the best router in its category and price scale?)

I plan to then make a home made shelf pin jig as a complete separate system without the use of a track.

What I do still want to get at some stage though is a adaptor/jig that will fit or I can make fit my Bosch 1600 and the Makita track so it can use the router for precise straight work? Any suggestion welcomed.

Thanks a mill for all the help guys it really does help!

You know for the life of me I cannot figure out which one is the 1600. I have the 1617 fitted in my Bosch router table and it is an awesome router though and truthfully, Bosch and Porter Cable are both fantastic lines for routers. The Milwaukee 1-3/4 looks like a sweet router and the Dewalt line offers great ones too but my 1617 is a great machine.

Well Jack, with a lot of tools you get what you pay for in my opinion. And...in my opinion, a Bosch Router is a good investment and with the ability to do the full range of chucks, this is a win win for you! Maybe check out the OF1400 from Festool ;) !!!!!! Hmmmmmmmmmmm??????????