Track Saw Track Advice

Grumpy MSG

I was on Ebay and pulled the trigger on a DWS520K new in the box for under $350, now it is time to buy a track or two. I will definitely purchase the DWS5022 (59 inch) first. I tentatively do not need to rip a lot of long boards or sheets of plywood right now. So what you opinions when I pick u a second track, buy the DWS5020 (46 inch) and a connector or two to save room and store it in a DWS5025 track bag or wait and buy the DWS5023 (102 inch) when I need to do a number of full sheet rip cuts?

1 hour ago, Sarbatche said:

I'm always using my 102" track. Well worth the cost. 

I am going to be building a decent amount of small boxes, so I will have to both crosscut and rip sheets. For now, if I do the cross cuts first, I won't need to do 8 foot rips. I can see the utility of being able to do full sheet cuts, that is why I was asking for the advice. I just don't know how straight and stiff the connection and joint is  between the 46" and 59" tracks when you join them. I am not in a rush, so I may watch for a bargain to come along.

I've never joined tracks before. However, when making cabinets, I could have gotten away with just the 59" track but I found it useful to cut my dados on the sides and back of the cabinets before I cut them apart. That way the dados were guaranteed to line up. That did require the long piece, though perhaps joining sections might've worked too. 

• Like 2

I been wanting to add a DeWalt track saw to my arsenal in the workshop.  Especially for cutting down sheets of top grade Baltic Birch ply for Scroll Saw Projects. It's true that you can buy pre-cut 12x12 inch pieces, but it's almost 5x the cost. I do have a table saw, that will do the job, but I don't think it's all that safe.

Festool and yes, like the Dewalt and Makitas you can use connecting bars to attach two rails together. The key is to put your saw on the rail at the connection between the two before tightening down the screws to ensure the tracks are straight!