Winter Wood

6 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

You got a hell of a wood pile

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nah that's just a teaspoon lol, growing up i think my Dad had three years worth of wood piled up in neat rows, 7' tall 20' or so long, 5' wide (which was how long of pieces the boiler could take) you could put a roof between two rows and have a storm shelter lol it's a beautiful sight.

Thanks for showing us @StrippedScrew I do wonder too, how your winters are and what you burn through each year?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kruton said:

About how much wood do you burn over a typical winter?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

To be honest It depends on the winter sometimes in Ireland we get a wet but a mild winter of a dry and cold winter, I use a small stove so the wood in the photos will last me about 3 winters maybe more.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

nah that's just a teaspoon lol, growing up i think my Dad had three years worth of wood piled up in neat rows, 7' tall 20' or so long, 5' wide (which was how long of pieces the boiler could take) you could put a roof between two rows and have a storm shelter lol it's a beautiful sight.

Thanks for showing us @StrippedScrew I do wonder too, how your winters are and what you burn through each year?

Yeah my haul is only small compared to some people iv a very well insulated house so I run a small stove noting major Il get 3 or 4 winters out of it.

Having said that I remember last year an elderly man rang me up to do a job for him, to process some firewood I said sure, went out to look at his logs and my jaw dropped he had about 6 articulated truck loads of logs sitting there for about 4 years! it took days and days to cut through them. 

• Like 2

We just got a log splitter attachment for our bobcat. That thing is the cats pajamas. No more swinging the splitting maul or man handling huge chunks of wood onto the old splitter.

15 hours ago, kruton said:

We just got a log splitter attachment for our bobcat. That thing is the cats pajamas. No more swinging the splitting maul or man handling huge chunks of wood onto the old splitter.

Nice I await your arrival with the splitter :)

• Like 3

On 5/6/2016 at 10:48 PM, kruton said:

is it like this

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish my dad would take it more easy by using a splitter like that. So far he does it all by axe and chainsaw. However, he almost never has to split the logs because he can load them up right into his outdoor wood boiler.

I took the opportunity this past weekend when we went up there to get this shot. I think he's been slacking, theres a whole empty spot to the right that needs filled haha. It's right up to the soffit of the garage, about 8' tall.

I always like checking it out, I installed the boiler after all. 

I dug by hand the 120' long trench up to the house, then another trench up to the shop from the house, another 130' long. It's softer soil, with quite a bit of sand mixed in, so not exactly a hard thing to do, just monotonous.

It will be ten years ago this fall i did that. What memories!

20160512_133653

-

It's always cool seeing all the wood he accumulated from all over the place

20160512_133602

-

• Like 1