Cordless mitre saw advice! (DCS365 vs DLS714)

marsh942

Guys! I am looking to invest in a cordless

mitre saw! Lugging the old DW717 in and out of the van is getting annoying! I am invested in both Makita (9 batteries) and Dewalt (5 batteries) lineups so that narrows my choices down to both companies offerings! The extra rpm and cut capacity of the Makita are appealing but the XPS and overall quality (from what I've read and heard) of the Dewalt are great! What do you guys think? Here in Aus the Dewalt

is $600-$700, the Makita is $1000! 

Thanks in advance!

• Like 1

Guys! I am looking to invest in a cordless

mitre saw! Lugging the old DW717 in and out of the van is getting annoying! I am invested in both Makita (9 batteries) and Dewalt (5 batteries) lineups so that narrows my choices down to both companies offerings! The extra rpm and cut capacity of the Makita are appealing but the XPS and overall quality (from what I've read and heard) of the Dewalt are great! What do you guys think? Here in Aus the Dewalt

is $600-$700, the Makita is $1000! 

Thanks in advance!

I've never used either but have contemplated both for myself. I'm pretty sure I would go with the Dewalt myself but that is definitely not based on experience, just what I have read on here and videos I've watched. With that price difference I would probably be looking pretty hard at the Dewalt. Keep us posted on what you get!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I actually bought both to try them out and ultimately kept the Makita and sold the Dewalt.

They both work very well so you can't go wrong with either. I like the base of the Dewalt better and I really liked the xps light, although it isn't as bright as the one you would find on the corded models. It cut 2x4's well but struggled a bit with hardwoods, but still cut through if you let the blade do the work.

The Makita has a bigger crosscut capacity and the 5800 rpm really makes a difference in cutting power and speed in soft and hardwood. When using them side by side it is apparent that the makita is much more powerful, as it should be with 36v. The Makita dust collection with the bag attached is also much better. I think the faster rpm causes a suction that funnels the dust into the bag better. What I don't like about the Makita is that there is no laser or led and it has a slightly smaller depth of cut compared to the dewalt.

I do like that dewalt only uses 1 battery but the 2 battery system gives the Makita a ton of power. The differences aren't enough to make you switch tool companies but if you have both I would recommend the makita for the points above. The Dewalt is a great companion to a corded saw and the Makita is a corded replacement in my opinion. 

• Like 5

Thanks for the replies! I would mostly be cutting teak/merbau/modwood decking/cladding, 100-200mm x 20mm Tasmanian oak and some 90x45mm framing or 70x22mm battens. Very rarely some hardwood stair treads (200x45mm as an average). Quality of cut would be pretty critical and dust extraction is definitely an important feature as I'd like to reduce clean up time. Some reviews would sway me towards the dewalt although it sounded like it was struggling with some of the hardwoods tested. Decisions decisions! The dw717 is a great saw, excellent in fact but lifting it in and out of the van isn't ideal and the dust extraction is very average. 

I wish I could weight in. They both have good features, it looks like the Makita has the extra capacity and power but the Dewalt has the more solid looking base and the XPS lighting feature and of the research I did prior to buying my Kapex, the Dewalt corded saw features kept it close in my final decision. The Dewalt saw has an incredibly stable well built base. I will say the Makita has the four pole slider which looks really solid and is featured on a couple of their saws already. It sounds like your a pro and the run time offered by both batteries might be something your looking into. Looks like a toss up to me. Dewalt = Win. Makita = Win. :)

• Like 2

I have the DeWalt and got to learn about it from the media event I attended.  I don't know anything about the makita.  

One thing to mention about the DeWalt is that they made a saw blade just for that unit.  It was designed to prolong the life of the battery.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what made it different, but if you switch the type of blade at some point, you may see some decline in performance.  Like I said, I'm not sure about the makita.  They may have the same setup.

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, tugnut1 said:

I have the DeWalt and got to learn about it from the media event I attended.  I don't know anything about the makita.  

One thing to mention about the DeWalt is that they made a saw blade just for that unit.  It was designed to prolong the life of the battery.  Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what made it different, but if you switch the type of blade at some point, you may see some decline in performance.  Like I said, I'm not sure about the makita.  They may have the same setup.

I didn't know this. Interesting. The makita blade I've seen on the saw and advertised with the saw are available off the shelf, the

same as the 7 1/2" blades as they use on

the small corded saw. Those dewalt blades I'm guessing will be a special order item here in Aus. Do they make them in 24 tooth only, do you know?

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just slap a diablo on every saw I buy before I even test out the blade that came with it from the factory.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tugnut1 said:

There's tests out there that have proven this to be a load, Diablo is king. In a test on youtube the Diablo increased the cut quantity of 2x4 something like 50 times, having trouble finding it now though, it's been a while. I ran the stock blade for a week just to have a feel for what it was they were trying to market (Dewalt truly makes some awful saw blades so I was intrigued) and found it good to use for cutting things you would normally NOT do with a quality blade like cut PVC (I find it melts a bit and coats the sides of a blade making it reduce cut quality and is very difficult to remove). Switching to the Diablo proved to me that it's superior in every metric, especially cutting PT lumber which I do frequently.

That said, battery life on a tool like this is the absolutely last thing I care about. I'd gladly take 50% more cut power and RPM for half of the battery life. I can swap batteries, I can't give the saw more power. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kruton said:

Makes me wonder if I shouldn't just slap a diablo on every saw I buy before I even test out the blade that came with it from the factory.

That is my new approach.  I put a Diablo blade on my new Bosch glide miter before I ever made a cut.

• Like 1

This is a tool supplier here in Australia who show the DLS714 (xsl02) in use on YouTube. The cut quality doesn't look great. A lot of tear out on the face. If you search for DLS714 it can be found near the top and its 1:56. Hmmm. Unsure if im

allowed to post the link here?

This is a tool supplier here in Australia who show the DLS714 (xsl02) in use on YouTube. The cut quality doesn't look great. A lot of tear out on the face. If you search for DLS714 it can be found near the top and its 1:56. Hmmm. Unsure if im

allowed to post the link here?

Just keep this in mind when posting links is all:

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7495-Rule----Update

-

Is this the video?

-

-

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Just keep this in mind when posting links is all:

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com/power-tool-forum/index.php?/topic/7495-Rule----Update

-

Is this the video?

-

-

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah that's the one, that cut quality just seems a bit off, interesting to see if a better blade helps. 

Yeah, I watch the Our Build stuff frequently, great channel and excellent reviews! @james10million I've watched that video 3-4 times! 

• Like 3

Thanks for the heads up! Yeah that's the one, that cut quality just seems a bit off, interesting to see if a better blade helps. 

Yeah, I watch the Our Build stuff frequently, great channel and excellent reviews! @james10million I've watched that video 3-4 times! 

Even better, thanks to@james10million

-

-

Haha, cheers mate, it's a powerful saw!

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I only managed a quick 10 min play with it with a few work mates, all of them very impressed after scepticism at the beginning! Saw felt great to use, nice action although different from usual with the 4 rail system! Like I said, the quality of cut, although some basic pre-primed pine skirting and basic 4x2 framing timber, was superb even on the standard 24 toother! One of my work mates has the old DLS713 and although it does the trick and gets there in the end he was less than happy after seeing the new beast!

• Like 1