18V PLANER Comparison - Dewalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Makita & Hitachi

dwain

Great review Dwain,

Suprising results, thought it would be between milwaukee and dewalt for 1st spot. I've waited months for the dewalt release when I could have bought the Makita all along since I'm on both platforms

What a great review of the top planners!  Great job. Looking at the video I thought it would make my choice easier, but not so much lol. If I had to pick one. I would like the Makita too, though the Dewalt and Bosch are good units. Comes down to price now. Thanks

Nice! Not completely surprised about the Makita, I've used their corded model for a long time, and have always felt that to be a great planer, they have that down to a science.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

What a great review of the top planners!  Great job. Looking at the video I thought it would make my choice easier, but not so much lol. If I had to pick one. I would like the Makita too, though the Dewalt and Bosch are good units. Comes down to price now. Thanks

Bosch is good but has a smaller capacity of that's a difference maker

FINALLY, great review! My only peeve with the whole thing is you didn't show remark on the blade change between the units and how that compares. 

As for results, man Milwaukee totally shit the bed on this test, I was like (0.0). As for dewalt, tested well I'm happy. I think the benefit of brushless on this unit comes in terms of RPM (sounds much louder and higher frequency to me) and quality of the actual cut with minimal snipe under normal circumstances in sacrifice of extended runtime. 

If so I'm totally good with that. Too many tools sacrifice power for runtime IMO. 

thank guys, glad you enjoyed it. There certainly was a few surprises!

I'll comment on the difficulty of changing blades shortly.

The Makita BL recip saw review will be posted in a few days.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dwain said:

Still!? What could be holding them up from releasing in their own country?

Too busy trying to come out with the biggest baddest drill than enriching their line some newer brushless tools like the sawzall.

The cordless planer was "announced" this morning according to PTR, listing it as $200 bare tool (no mention of the dust collector so don't know if it's included or not, but if not available in kit at launch it would be a really stupid move if not) without a launch date, suggesting it was "soon". Nobody else has run an independent story yet so I'm not sure what press release they're referring to since they're the only mention of it thus far today. 

http://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/carpentry/dewalt-20v-max-brushless-planer-announced/23707/

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

The cordless planer was "announced" this morning according to PTR, listing it as $200 bare tool (no mention of the dust collector so don't know if it's included or not, but if not available in kit at launch it would be a really stupid move if not) without a launch date, suggesting it was "soon". Nobody else has run an independent story yet so I'm not sure what press release they're referring to since they're the only mention of it thus far today. 

http://www.protoolreviews.com/trades/carpentry/dewalt-20v-max-brushless-planer-announced/23707/

I just bought the planer here in Ireland, had to buy the dust bag as an extra

15 hours ago, Turner85 said:

I just bought the planer here in Ireland, had to buy the dust bag as an extra

Yea I know it's an accessory overseas, and that's fine because you have a choice of bare or kit at launch as I understand it. 

Here offering the bare tool without kit option at launch (almost always the case with all these new tools as of recent, and I will never understand why), which might be months, means it won't be available unless it comes with the tool. But since the bare tool has been listed at $199, Dewalt's favorite number, it almost certainly isn't even though it would at least make it more competitive with the Makita in the US. 

Yea I know it's an accessory overseas, and that's fine because you have a choice of bare or kit at launch as I understand it. 

Here offering the bare tool without kit option at launch (almost always the case with all these new tools as of recent, and I will never understand why), which might be months, means it won't be available unless it comes with the tool. But since the bare tool has been listed at $199, Dewalt's favorite number, it almost certainly isn't even though it would at least make it more competitive with the Makita in the US. 

I wish that was there favourite number here in Ireland, the tool with tstak and dust bag cost me €300

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• Like 1