What's the best 18v 1/2 in impact wrench

Jspeed

Not sure about 18v, but based on my research the DeWalts DCF899 is pretty well rated. I will be getting this one, hoping for a good Father's day sale. 

I thought Makita had a good one too. I had seen it at $500, but just now found it at about the same price as Dewalt. 

• Like 1

Ok cool. Since they pretty much do the same I'm gonna grave the Milwaukee. I see the bare tool is 219$ at Home Depot and I have shit loads of batterys so that sounds like the winner. I really like the way the makita one looks. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, eddie1976 said:

Not sure about 18v, but the based on my research the DeWalts DCF899 is pretty well rated. I will be getting this one, hoping for a good Father's day sale. 

I thought Makita had a good one too. I had seen it at $500, but just now found it at about the same price as Dewalt. 

All the new stuff is 18v. 20v max = 18v same shiznit different market scam.

Honesly id be going for whichever of those I could find the best deal on,all 3 are pretty darn similar,I myself would be more partial to the Dewalt or Makita.

• Like 1

Just now, Fazzman said:

Honesly id be going for whichever of those I could find the best deal on,all 3 are pretty darn similar,I myself would be more partial to the Dewalt or Makita.

Thats what i did, and i fond the Milwaukee cheaper and first lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fazzman said:

Why more towards Dewalt or makita. You don't have Milwaukee tools ?

Please, we all know the only correct answer here. You have all three battery platforms so get all of them. Trust me, I'm a professional and it's the only way to do it. Keep in mind that you also have to get the fuel M12 3/8 impact, fuel compact 1/2 M18, and M12 right angle imoact.

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Jspeed said:

Why more towards Dewalt or makita. You don't have Milwaukee tools ?

Nope no Milwaukee at the moment,I like to be different. For 20v line I have Porter Cable(Dewalt) and for 12v I have Bosch.

I try not to support China manufacturing because it takes away my work :)

I have Dewalt,Bosch, and Porter Cable corded tools also.Have used Makita grinders for alot of years in shops. 

Im just a tool junkie/DIY'er/Tinkerer guy. Machinist/Fabricator by trade. Nowadays I mostly work from home CNC programming and such. 

• Like 3

The 2663 is the brushed model where the 2763 is brushless. It does have mor fastening and breakaway torque. Dewalt also has 2 models the 889 and 899, the 889 is their brushed model.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimbo is correct. I have owned the 2663 and used the 2763 fairly extensively. I loved my 2663 and you will too if you get it. As far as torque needs go it should be able to handle anything in the average homeowners garage. It never really felt like it was lacking, and the runtime was acceptable. That being said, you can't go wrong with the fuel either. It will cost you probably less than $100 more bare tool and give you a lot more power and runtime. You will probably be happy with either. If your goal is to spend the least money and have a great impact wrench, the brushed will fit the bill. If money isn't an issue and you want arguably the best tool on the market, go for the fuel.

Also an important thing I need to point out. If you aren't using this at heights or in environments where socket retention is absolutely crucial, do not do not do not get the detent pin model. It has less torque and the detent pin will make your life miserable. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Also an important thing I need to point out. If you aren't using this at heights or in environments where socket retention is absolutely crucial, do not do not do not get the detent pin model. It has less torque and the detent pin will make your life miserable. 

That is such a great point, my first HT impact, the brushed dewalt 889 had a detent and i hated it, I prefer the hog rings, and if you don't grease the detent it can get stuck and can be a bitch to get a socket out.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

That is such a great point, my first HT impact, the brushed dewalt 889 had a detent and i hated it, I prefer the hog rings, and if you don't grease the detent it can get stuck and can be a bitch to get a socket out.

It's even worse on the Fuels. You have to have a scribe or small screwdriver with you at all times to push in the pin to change sockets. Guys usually end up permanently putting a really stubby (1" or less) Pittsburgh extension on the anvil and just swapping the sockets off the extension.

5 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

So I'm going with the fuel brushless model. It's 219$ at Home Depot and has the friction ring. 

• Like 4