Dewalt cordless 120v?

Jronman

57 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

So could one use 30v in series x2 and 30v in parallel x2 for 120v at double the amp/hr with 4 batteries instead? 

Why not use what DeWALT already has for the example. If you had 3 40V batteries 7.5 Ah, wired up in series, you would have a total of 120V DC with 7.5 Ah available. If you wanted to double the Ah available you would need 6 batteries 3 in series X 2 and those run in parallel. but at the end of the day you still have DC voltage not AC, so you would need some sort of an inverter system to allow it to power AC tools like a table saw or 9 inch grinder.

Money was brought up, so let's do a little math: 3 X 279.00, call it $250 to make it easy, and you have $750 in batteries alone, inverters are not inexpensive, so  I don't think you are going to beat the price for a DeWALT DXGNR 7000 generator from Home Depot at $999 and they and they are in stock at stores. 

Most of the inverter sytems that I know of actually run off of 12 or 24 volts DC, so it would be a bit of a special application design. I don't know what kind of wattage and run time you could off of one of the 40V  7.5Ah batteries. If it was set up to run multiple packs in parallel you could double or triple the run time or just use a single battery to save weight if you have to lug it around 

• Like 1

Why not use what DeWALT already has for the example. If you had 3 40V batteries 7.5 Ah, wired up in series, you would have a total of 120V DC with 7.5 Ah available. If you wanted to double the Ah available you would need 6 batteries 3 in series X 2 and those run in parallel. but at the end of the day you still have DC voltage not AC, so you would need some sort of an inverter system to allow it to power AC tools like a table saw or 9 inch grinder.

Not necessarily, if the motor is a universal motor, it could use either one yes? A lot of universal motors out there

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

On 5/22/2016 at 1:38 AM, KnarlyCarl said:

Not necessarily, if the motor is a universal motor, it could use either one yes? A lot of universal motors out there

So now we have to redesign the tools to run a motor that can be run on both AC and DC? I am not an electric motor guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I would guess it would require rewiring like it does to switch from 120  to 240 volts, or it would require some sort of electronic switching device. I will leave that mess to the engineers to figure out...

So now we have to redesign the tools to run a motor that can be run on both AC and DC? I am not an electric motor guy by any stretch of the imagination, but I would guess it would require rewiring like it does to switch from 120  to 240 volts, or it would require some sort of electronic switching device. I will leave that mess to the engineers to figure out...

Nah I mean that a lot, A LOT of corded tools already have universal motors, they are already capable of using DC power of the same voltage!

I'll let it happen, just mulling a few things over in my blue collar brain...

So hypothetically, DeWalt comes out with a battery that is 120v or a pack of smaller batteries in series (the 40v ones) that would add up to 120v and could be a portable power source for corded rotary hammers, circular saws, routers, miter saws, table saws, etc..without modification from the power source nor to the universal motor inside the power tool.. hmm so would that be enough for some of the higher demand ones in a pinch or for a short run of the tool for a small job? Probably, and technically, it shouldn't have any ill effect on the tool, regardless of brand. I bet it could also be variable speed due to the DC power....  Think of the safety precautions though....

For those wondering, that's equivalent to an 83Ah 18V battery in gas. It would cost about 38c in electricity to recharge (ignoring charging inefficiencies).

1500W output is impressive! Can run some decent tools on that!

Bosch just released their big ass battery pack in belgium

A 1500 wh battery on wheels with 2 electrical plugs on there. Can output a maximum of 1500 watts [emoji4]

gen-230v-1500-39399.png

Wow! Ha that's cool, is it well received? What is it designed to power?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Its part of their 36v garden tools. You can plug in 2 of the 36v battery chargers into that ' lithium power unit' and charge your tool batteries troughout the day :)

But since it can provider up to 1500 watts you could also put a small angle grinder or something in it :)

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, overanalyze said:

So some of the speculation in this thread just got relevant...lol!

No kidding. In hindsight you would have thought I had inside info based on what I was saying. They pretty much answered my request directly with interest. 

• Like 2