Magnets on Tools?

PutnamEco

Am I the only one who is annoyed by having magnets on tools? There are very few tools I can actually appreciate having a magnet on and don't really care to have them included on things like tape measures and levels. Mine always seem to attract swarf and when it is on a level or tape measure it can end up throwing the measurements off. These iron fillings are also a pain to try to clean off these magnetic tools, especially the one that have the magnets installed in a recess with a gap around the edges. I could understand having a magnet on a special use tool but when they start installing them on everyday tools I just think they are going to far, and I'm going to call it feature bloat. I also am not a fan of how they tend to magnetize other tools that they come into contact with, sometimes I feel some of my tool boxes have become nothing but a magnetic tar baby. What do you all think, are magnets annoying on everyday tools or are they a worthy addition?

They only thing I prefer being magnetized is screwdrivers and driver bits. I have the magnatizing/de-magnatizing box by General tool. It's great to have lying around the garage.

I'm not saying that there isn't a place for magnetized tools like screwdrivers and such, I have a few myself and wouldn't be without them, it when manufacturers start putting them on all their tools, and don't have any options without magnets that I find myself bothered. I was at a small hardware store the other day and they did not have a single torpedo level without magnets, and this, to me, seemed ridiculous, granted they were all "top of the line" levels, but to not offer a non magnetic one....

I 'm also noticing that a lot of the premium tape measures now have magnets as well. again no option to forgo the magnets other than to go down the quality scale to lesser tape measures.

Maybe it's just the store I visited, with a purchasing agent who has a penchant for magnets, or is it?

I've noticed a spike in magnet application as well. I hate the fact that my Klein torpedo level is magnetized. I don't own a magnetic tape measure and I prefer to keep it that way.

I could see Kleins usuing magnets as they are aimed more towards the electrical trades and those guys are going to be using them for setting conduit and the like. It is companies like Dewalt and Milwaukee that don't have an option for a non magnatised level that has me wondering. While it would appear that Milwaukee is targeting trades that could use a magnet, I don't know about Dewalt. I don't even think Irwin offers a non magnetic torpedo level. I think Stanley is the only consumer grade producer that is offering one and it would be their cheapest plastic level.

My 6" torpedo level is magnetized on one side and I like that I can stick it to metal curtain rods and such. Even have a few sockets with a magnet in them to hold nuts and bolt heads. Also have a small set of magnets, from Craftsman I think, that you stick inside the socket... never had to use them though.

Magnets in sockets are particularly hard to keep clean, mine always seem to have a coating of metal shavings on them.

I still maintain that I like magnetic screwdrivers and driver bits. That's about it. I don't really mind them on my torpedo level, but I could live without them.

Don't get me wrong, there is a time and place for everything, it is just when they start putting them on everything it starts to get annoying.