Upcoming drill & impact driver comparison - OTT

dwain

I know lots of people here love comparisons, and oztooltalk have some big one's coming up. We're comparing the COMPACT (BL) DRILLS and also BL IMPACT DRIVERS, testing June 10-11 and videos to be released a few weeks later. So for those who love this sort of thing, if you have any feedback about what you'd like to see, or not see, now's your chance to have input!

My current plans are as follows:

18V COMPACT HAMMER DRILLS:

MODELS: Bosch BL DDS183, Dewalt BL DCD796, Makita BL DHP480, Milwaukee BL 2702-20, Metabo BS18 Quick (NOT BL or Hammer).

TESTS: Runtime in 35mm pine with 17mm augers (2Ah batts) | Power in 1st & 2nd speed by trying increasing sizes of auger bits (5ah and 2Ah) | 6mm concrete drilling | 3mm and 8mm steel drilling | Driving bugel batten screws

OTHER: Weight, comfort, heat?, chuck grip and accuracy, price, warranty, RPM/BPM

18V IMPACT DRIVERS

MODELS: Bosch BL IDH182, Dewalt BL DCF887, Makita BL DTD148, Milwaukee BL 2753, Hitachi BL WH18DDL (IP56), Metabo  SSD 18 LTX (not BL)

TESTS: Runtime in 125mm bugel batten screws | Power in driving coach screws | Drilling with auger bits? | Fine driving of small screws.

OTHER: Speed setting usage, weight, comfort, heat?, bit-holder usage, price, warranty, RPM/IPM

Thoughts???

What sort of video length would you want to see? Anything you disliked or loved about our planer comparison or previous hammer drill comparison?

• Like 3

On 5/27/2016 at 8:44 AM, dwain said:

thanks korno! I can only find a FULL SIZE BL drill from Metabo, not a compact model. Do you have a link or model or pic? Cheers.

Ill check out metabo folders in the store on tuesday :) then im at work again. It only recently came out. It is a new folder metabo put out in belgium last month :)

It also had a new brushless heavy duty model with 120 newton torque. Follow up to the drill you loved in your heavy duty drill shootout last year :)

Any chance of having mics on you to eliminate the reverb from your voices when you guys are talking farther away from the camera? 

Having a large selection of Milwaukee already, my concern is anything related with their line, so i'm glad you're looking at the chuck, because I've read about problems with theirs holding bits in place and falling out

Hey Knarly,

We don't have lapel mics (nor can my camera support multiple mics I think). But I do have a shotgun mic, and I've been playing around with the idea of having that mounted right above us. I'll give it a shot I reckon :)

I've not heard anything bad about Milwaukee chucks. I've experienced some slippage with Dewalt chucks, but not a really big problem,,,

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/5/2016 at 8:05 AM, dwain said:

My current plans are as follows:

18V COMPACT HAMMER DRILLS:

MODELS: Bosch BL DDS183, Dewalt BL DCD796, Makita BL DHP480, Milwaukee BL 2702-20, Metabo BS18 Quick (NOT BL or Hammer).

TESTS: Runtime in 35mm pine with 17mm augers (2Ah batts) | Power in 1st & 2nd speed by trying increasing sizes of auger bits (5ah and 2Ah) | 6mm concrete drilling | 3mm and 8mm steel drilling | Driving bugel batten screws

OTHER: Weight, comfort, heat?, chuck grip and accuracy, price, warranty, RPM/BPM

Thoughts???

Looking forward to the review.

Hopefully you will test and demonstrate the KickBack Control of Bosch BL DDS183 and check if any of the competitors has a KickBack control feature too. This is the first compact model from Bosch to have KickBack Control. Their robust series has had this feature for a long time, but here they called it ERC (Electronic Rotation Control) on their old 4-pole brushed drill. On the new brushless robust and compact series drill they changed the name to KickBack Control, but it's the same thing.

Bosch Electronic Rotation Control ad

Btw. isn't the Bosch only named BL DDS183 in North America and GSB 18 V-EC for Australia, Europe etc. The only real difference is the accepted input voltage of the charger though.

It is however annoying that Bosch has decided to keep the same model name GSB 18 V-EC for this drill as the old brushless compact drill it replaces. The new drill has a metal chuck vs. plastic on the old one. The new model also has KickBack Control as mentioned, unlike the old model. The new model is also shorter ans I< beleive it has higher torque specs too,

Keeping the same model name for a new generation is only going to cause confusion and some might end up ordering the wrong model online because you just check the model name and not being aware of two different models sharing the same name.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JimboS1ice said:

Do you have a way to measure actual torque? Not the theoretical torque we get from the manufacturers?

I can't measure torque in Nm or in-lbs. I can only test which is most powerful in real life ways, like how large an auger they can drive, and how long hard tasks take.

I can't measure torque in Nm or in-lbs. I can only test which is most powerful in real life ways, like how large an auger they can drive, and how long hard tasks take.

Yea that's all I can do too, would love to have the means to test the actual torque and put a number to it!

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you have a way to measure actual torque? Not the theoretical torque we get from the manufacturers?

Plus it's pointless, you know.... if you want those numbers, bozotool review does that. Interesting finding out the numbers, but worthless in real world because it just takes experience and knowledge of the material and bits to know what drill will work with what bit. I'm sure somewhere there's a chart explaining how much torque is required to drill a 1" hole through a triple layer of 2x6 so you know what drill you need, but the variables at minimum are such as sharpness of the bit, density of the wood, humidity, etc... I think the most useful test is how they compare with each other doing the same task.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Plus it's pointless, you know.... if you want those numbers, bozotool review does that. Interesting finding out the numbers, but worthless in real world because it just takes experience and knowledge of the material and bits to know what drill will work with what bit. I'm sure somewhere there's a chart explaining how much torque is required to drill a 1" hole through a triple layer of 2x6 so you know what drill you need, but the variables at minimum are such as sharpness of the bit, density of the wood, humidity, etc... I think the most useful test is how they compare with each other doing the same task.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Exactly! Just curious how accurate their numbers are and I know he does I just can't stand his videos or the comments he makes either.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another new feature on the Bosch I would like to see tested is electronic clutch. Instead of a mechanical clutch that just keeps clicking when the selected torque setting is reached, the new Bosch immediately stops the drill so you wont hear any clicking when the screw has reached the selected torque. This reduces clutch and and drill wear and you won't hear the annoying clicking noise.

Does any of the other models in the review have an electronic clutch too?

This German review (with English subtitles if you turn it on) is comparing the new Bosch GSR 18 V-EC 2016 to the previous Bosch GSR 18 V-EC. He demonstrates the new electronic clutch @5:05

He also demonstrates the KickBack Control @3:45