Car Tool Kit

DaveJr.

I am looking to put a car tool kit together to keep in my car....you know.....just in case. Other then the basics like ratchet and sockets, breaker bar, pliers, screwdrivers, tire repair kit etc., what else should I keep in the car?

I'd throw in a set of good jumper cables, the bigger the gauge the better. A flashlight of some sort would be good too. A cheap test light might be a good idea. My fuel pump took a dump on me a couple of years ago and I used a test light to see if it was getting power.

I have most of the things already listed in my truck, but I also carry the 26 inch Estwing axe. Believe it or not I've used it quite a bit. And if you get in a fight, who in their right mind wants to fight a guy with an axe!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• Like 4

Excellent topic. Also first aid emergency kit and fire extenguisher, this way your safety is covered, repairs can come second. Granola bars and bottled water is usually overlooked too. Or are we just focusing on the tool side of things? HA

Snow shovel and salt in the winter? Mace/pepper spray? Have the local and surrounding city's police number in your phone, in case of non fatal accident, and also a spare battery pack to charge your phone if you can't use your car charger.

• Like 1

I have a husky box I am using for my truck. Currently off the top of my head I have:

Claw hammer

Deadblow

Screwdrivers

Picks

Ratchet straps

Paper Towels

Jumper cables

First aid kit

Traffic vest

Red towels

Kobalt Socket/Wrench set

Tape measure (or at least I better since I recommended it. lol)

• Like 3

Always always always carry at least a gallon or two of distilled water with me. When I'm in a big rig add a gallon of oil, gallon of coolant, a fan belt, chains, ratchet straps, flares, hazard triangles, extinguisher, Schwab's number, safety reflective vest, large crescent wrench, can of pb blaster, basic tool kit (HF socket set and crescent wrench). I carry a gun with me all the time, but thats not an option for everyone or everyone's cup of tea. 

• Like 1

At the rate were all going just get a small trailer to put all this stuff in lol

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have more than. Enough room in that husky tote. Easy to move in and out too. I have a bed cover so no tool box. I even have range targets as well in the tote.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

My new truck doesn't have the same seat tray under the back seat but it has enough room for my trailer hitch, a Tekton tool box with a bunch of sockets and wrenches, some heavy gauge jumpers and a bag full of ratcheting straps and a roll of duct tape.  My work vehicle has an axe, pry bar and shovel in it plus a ton of other crap and I agree, having an axe in the vehicle is a great idea. Now I have to get a darn axe for the truck. I would even go so far as a small saw too. I always have a tape measure in my truck and a Leatherman I will be adding a small trenching shovel.  Matches or a lighter are nice to have. Getting a little off of tools, blankets, roll of TP or paper towels, first aid kit with Benadryl, I keep a stash of granola bars. I recommend water and a towel. Make sure you have the appropriate cell phone charger. If you do keep guns, don't leave them in the car, if it gets broken into and the gun is unsecured......$$$$$$ law suit. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ChrisK said:

If you do keep guns, don't leave them in the car, if it gets broken into and the gun is unsecured......$$$$$$ law suit. 

THIS! When you go in at night so does your gun. Throwing a jacket over it isn't the same as securing it.

• Like 2

What are the axes for? 

Your never driving down the road and you think to yourself... Man I feel like being a manly man and chopping a tree down!

...maybe it's just all the flannel getting in my head

Jimbo

• Like 4

Hahahaha

for me the axe in my work car has been useful for clearing off downed limbs out of the roadway, it's great for rescue and maybe as an impromptu door opener ;)

As far as the truck, seriously great for clearing a class VI road and whatnots.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Your never driving down the road and you think to yourself... Man I feel like being a manly man and chopping a tree down!

...maybe it's just all the flannel getting in my head

Jimbo

Maybe, "man I feel like chopping down some sage brush" 

20160329_140035.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, ChrisK said:

Hahahaha

for me the axe in my work car has been useful for clearing off downed limbs out of the roadway, it's great for rescue and maybe as an impromptu door opener ;)

As far as the truck, seriously great for clearing a class VI road and whatnots.

Class IV roads must just be a NH thing.

44 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Unmaintained roadways. Most unnavigable by most vehicles. Great ATV, hiking and mountain biking trails. Occasionally fun to drive down....you know, when your truck is paid off ;)

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, Stercorarius said:

Come to think of it.....a New Hampshire thing includes the fact that it is 40 degrees cooler than it was yesterday. Same bat time. Same bat channel.

Great ideas crew. Moving blanket, bungee cords ractheting straps paracord Tekton flip socket set 1/2 breaker bar or if we travel out of town I'll pack the Rockwell 1/2 impact Stanley screw drivers set blue towels gorilla grip gloves trailer hitch led flash light fastback. Might add few things now after reading this. 

• Like 2