Daredevil holesaw

JimboS1ice

What you need to,do is get one a common size say 2 -9/16" and try it out. See if you like it then get the set. Good luck Jimbo. 

Good idea. I got the size you mentioned, as well as the 2-1/8" for the 2" and 1-1/2" PVC pipe I use a lot of.

My boss and I were talking about this vs using super hawg and chipper/self feed bits. We came to the conclusion to not buy a super hawg because of these awesome hole saws and they require much less power to run, so I use my drill. We have a cordless hole hawg if I'm in a tighter spot than my drill can fit, and that works perfect. The self feed bits will require much more power and although the super hawg has a long body, it will still take you on a ride if you're not holding on properly. Granted, it does have anti kickback, but you still have to hold on good. It's so effortless to run the big hawg compared to self feed bits, I've come to the conclusion that is a better fit for me at the end of the day. Sure I would love to get my hands on a super hawg but I'm not buying one myself just for having one haha

Plus the self feed bits make so much more mess, you can't easily drill the hole out bigger, and if I'm trying to locate a hole through the material on the other side by drilling a pilot hole to check clearance, there goes my material for which the self feed screw needs to pull itself through with.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Bosch sent me a couple of large 3-tooth TCT hole saws sized for recessed cans a while back, to try out. Just like the Big Hawgs, just not as deep, and with carbide teeth. I'm surprised they came out with those in the video. Obviously, a set wouldn't be $20, like those in the OP's post. The ones they sent me were awesome, but that $20 set looks like HF junk. Plus, there's no way I'm using a hole saw arbor without pins in this day and age.

Bosch-Daredevil-Carbide-recessed-lightin

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
I just got a 10 pcs set of the big hawg hole saws. And just the fact that they can last 10x longer and come with a diamond sharpening stone sold me on them. 

Well I wish I would have seen that before, what sort of sharpening stone are we talking? Something I can get off the shelf you think?

Yeah I wouldn't attempt to sharpen the hole hawg saw bit with the included diamond sharpener. I was being sarcastic when I said it swayed my decision lol. And then Knarlycarl wanted to,see it. Your right the one you highlighted is better but I feel skeptical of that as well. I would leave it up to a pro. 

6 hours ago, Glasseyi said:

Yeah I wouldn't attempt to sharpen the hole hawg saw bit with the included diamond sharpener. I was being sarcastic when I said it swayed my decision lol. And then Knarlycarl wanted to,see it. Your right the one you highlighted is better but I feel skeptical of that as well. I would leave it up to a pro. 

It's a lot easier than most people think, but yeah you can do a lot of damage too.  Start on something you were going to throw away and if you can bring that back from the dead, touching up something else won't be a problem.

• 2 months later...

Great topic. I'm looking into getting a set of nice carbide hole saws, and I was almost sold on Bosch carbide. However, like most types of tools, the original innovator can be hard to top and with carbide hole saws like these that seems to be the Big Hawgs. Fairly pricy for a kit but the cost per hole and quality seem to be great in the end. 

On 8/28/2016 at 6:39 PM, Bremon said:

Great topic. I'm looking into getting a set of nice carbide hole saws, and I was almost sold on Bosch carbide. However, like most types of tools, the original innovator can be hard to top and with carbide hole saws like these that seems to be the Big Hawgs. Fairly pricy for a kit but the cost per hole and quality seem to be great in the end. 

I love using the hole saws such as the big hawgs, but just so you know, they aren't actually carbide. They are hardened steel of sorts....?? That may be a good thing perhaps, as they might be less likely to chip off if running into a screw or nail.

Lenox has ones with a single carbide tooth. Bosch has their own similar to the Big Hawgs, but with carbide, haven't tried them. 

Dewalt has their new hole saw meant for using with their new flexvolt stud drill, it has a self feed bit that pulls the carbide hole saw into the work. HOWEVER, toolaholic and I were having a lengthy discussion and he mentioned about how a pain it was to then pull the plug back out the dewalt holesaw because of something with how the centering spade bit "jams" the slug. 

"The tip punctures through, it grabs the slug because it self feeds until the holesaw makes it through"

"so what I was doing is i let the self feeding tip puncture through, then i speed the drill up, and push through the hole saw at the end, so the slug is loose" 

also

"the kerf on the flexvolt holesaw is about half [the width] of the milwaukee big hawg, so that's how it's getting more holes per charge" 

I mentioned how I was using a diamond sharpener and put the edge back on after hitting a nail, didn't really inflict much damage on the teeth.

So there's that

• Like 1

Thanks Knarly! My mistake on the Big Hawgs. Still likely to go with them unless I find a killer deal on Bosch. Best prices seem to be on Big Hawgs. I understand the thin kerf/more holes strategy Dewalt is running with but I feel the thicker kerf might be an advantage for durability, and possibly popping plugs as mentioned. Might end up buying more batteries in the long run compared to FlexVolt accessories but it's not like we are talking driver bits here; this stuff isn't cheap either. 

• Like 1

The dewalt probably gets the plug stuck just because self feed doesn't give time for the chips to clear.  You get the same problem with some augers that take longer to pull out of a log than they take to go through it.

Absolutely, excellent point. I bet a regular spade bit would work just as good drilling, but so much better at allowing the slug to pop out

• 1 month later...
Thanks Jimbo!  Great Video.  I agree with the others, try using either Lenox or MK Morse hole saws.  You can't go wrong with a professional tool.  But your video is perfect for depicting the cheaper brands.

Thanks dude, I should have picked up Morse cobalt saws at menards on clearence, Milwaukee aren't bad the hole dozers I get by with those

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk