#worldsfirst

Kenneth Denmark

All of my side winder saws are blade right and I'm right handed. The theory is you get less bevel in your cut. When a right handed person makes a cut he's holding the material down with his left hand and saw in his right obviously, so the bulk weight of the saw is supported by the material that is supported by the user. Thus the saw is less likely to tip. If I cut with a blade left there will only be an inch or so supported. Which allows the saw to tip easier. Yes you can fight it straight with the wrist but I say why fight your tools. And as far as visibility goes there's almost always a good line of sight through the front of the saw. I've been a contractor for long time and don't have a issue with the way I cut. So I guess it's all personal preference, wouldn't be too quick to write off one method or the other because they both have pros and cons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This. Sorry Hugh and sterco, I definitely see this as the better way, saw is supported better and I've always been able to see my cut in front of the blade without a problem.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

In the rare instance the support is a must for me, I just cut from the other direction, cordless saws are so light that I have no issue with bad cuts or control either way. Clearly there's advantages to both ways (cutting roofing as mentioned before going uphill isn't ideal) but I want to have the length of the blade visible at all times. I can make a cut much more accurately with this length in sight rather than relying on a completely vertical projection of a mark on the shoe where the blade will be, or peeking between components at just the right angle for a window to the blade. It's a bit like jerking off with your own feet IMO, nothing about it is natural.  

I'd note that I'm not the kind of person to use two hands to run a saw, as this is some people's argument on the topic, blocking visibility with the extra hand. Even my old Skil Worm I use with my right arm only and I am not exactly Dwayne Johnson. 

• Like 1

I usually use a bread tie to lock the trigger on, then push it from behind with both hands. Is that wrong?

Yes, bread ties are NOT safe. Use a zip tie instead. 

I thought that is what you wanted the new Stanley Vise Grips for...

Lol! Nah, then you have to unplug it each time you're done with a cut. Why not just swap in a locking trigger switch like from an older drill or drywall gun.

• Like 1

Yeah never hand much of an issue with support on any of the many mag saws I've used. I go one handed with my right hand for a good eight hours of cutting studs with no problem. Don't notice any sort of support issue either, especially if you angle your wood so you cut slightly down. The sleds on those mag saws are plenty big on both sides. Overhead and such can be a pain but no biggie. I Always have the guard pinned back and so if I'm lookin in front it flicks more sawdust in me eyes and it puts me in a position where  I am more focused on trying to get a visual than on where my blade is and where my hands are and where that blade will go if it kicks back or anything else goes wrong. Just habit. Never needed +/- 2 degree tolerances when framing anyways. I think it makes a bigger difference on sidewinders.

• Like 3

guys

"let´s get back to the roots" If you want to discuss / comment on saws etc. start a new forum !

I would like to see comments / discussion on the the wordsfirst event

of course leaks and rumors !

highly appreciated

can´t share a lot of info yet

here is something for you guys to "work on"

560 VIP customers attended on Dewalts invite in Barcelona

take this:

• compatible
  • MORE than ONE item

cheers

• Like 2

DeWalt in Barcelona means nothing. All you are going to find on Google in both English and Spanish searches is about the soccer nonsense. 

As far as DeWalt releases go.. we all need to make an agree on gameplay as to who will buy what so collectively we will have every tool and can determine which are worth anything. My thoughts are, glasseyi buys the grinder, HughJass buys the table saw and 77ford buys two of all of them.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

DeWalt in Barcelona means nothing. All you are going to find on Google in both English and Spanish searches is about the soccer nonsense. 

As far as DeWalt releases go.. we all need to make an agree on gameplay as to who will buy what so collectively we will have every tool and can determine which are worth anything. My thoughts are, glasseyi buys the grinder, HughJass buys the table saw and 77ford buys two of all of them.

lol. A cordless table saw would run around $500 I'd think. Then batteries. Then chargers. 

I don't have a grand to blow at the moment. So Hugh buys the grinder, glasseyi buys Hugh the table saw, and 77ford buys Hugh some batteries and a charger. 

This is clearly fair. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, kentcatlett said:

Found this on dewalts site. Not sure if it means anything 

image.jpg

HAAAAAA that's hilarious. What was dewalt thinking not using their own clamps at a field comparison? Irwin is thankful I'm sure.

As for the tool, it's corded so not part of the big announcement. Could be a new release though, it's very compact. 

9 minutes ago, RickyMcGrath said:

I'm leaning towards this. Maybe something that will get you 120v while using 20v batteries.

No way. 6 conventional 20v in series would take up a ton of room. If you used 2.0Ah batteries, you'd need 6 of them, so say $60 a pop is $360 in batteries alone. If you wanted to run continuous you'd need a minimum of 10 batteries to cycle, $720, and a way to charge 5 batteries at once (@ $65 a pop x 5) adds $325. 

A thousand USD before you even buy tools to run a single tool at 120v is festool territory. And that's at using 2.0ah batteries. Imagine 5ah and you have like $850 just in batteries. 

EDIT: Fixed my preschool math. 

• Like 1

When was the XR series released? I hope this isn't some big hype for a new line or something. I don't want to worry about battery compatibility and what not already... Already went brushless so there is already a smart chip in the tools. Not a tech expert could it be some new kind of converting DC/AC current to squeeze some more power out of power tools? Wouldn't take much to throw more microchips in them.

• Like 1

I posted months ago about a bigger battery that can switch between 18v and 54v (20v and 60v in Dewalt terms) based on the tool it is put into. Meaning it can run all the current 20v tools like its a 9ah battery, then it can go into a more power hungry tool and be a 60v with 3ah. These can also be placed in pairs in really hungry tools like large miter saws and table saws for 120v. This is how it was explained to me months ago by some Dewalt reps who were too excited to keep a secret. I posted on here and few guys straight up said there was no way that could be true. I am patiently waiting to be vindicated on the 21st. 

• Like 5

On 6/13/2016 at 4:22 AM, Hugh Jass said:

As for the tool, it's corded so not part of the big announcement. Could be a new release though, it's very compact. 

If only it was an adapter that allowed all cordless tools to also be used from AC power.... 

1 hour ago, Marcv76 said:

I posted months ago about a bigger battery that can switch between 18v and 54v (20v and 60v in Dewalt terms) based on the tool it is put into. Meaning it can run all the current 20v tools like its a 9ah battery, then it can go into a more power hungry tool and be a 60v with 3ah. These can also be placed in pairs in really hungry tools like large miter saws and table saws for 120v. This is how it was explained to me months ago by some Dewalt reps who were too excited to keep a secret. I posted on here and few guys straight up said there was no way that could be true. I am patiently waiting to be vindicated on the 21st. 

That sounds cool. Not sure about pairing batteries to tools then switching voltage pull on them. I've read that lithium doesn't like that. Two batteries that have been used in different tools then put into same tool. I'm new to these particular forums is there a resident electronics PhD type to chime in on this around here?

2 hours ago, dwain said:

If only it was an adapter that allowed all cordless tools to also be used from AC power.... 

What about a wired adapter to keep the the battery on a belt clip or something. You could make handheld power tools powered by big packs, like 40+v outdoor lawn equipment packs, and not have the resultant imbalance and fatigue associated with adding all that weight to the tool itself...

On 6/11/2016 at 2:07 PM, KnarlyCarl said:

This. Sorry Hugh and sterco, I definitely see this as the better way, saw is supported better and I've always been able to see my cut in front of the blade without a problem.

Yes, it's surprising how even some carpenters I talk to about it around here, in the land of the sidewinder, don't understand nowadays why they've always been traditionally blade-right. Blade-left for a right-handed user is something that's only become common since the advent of cordless saws. I prefer blade-right, though I prefer using a worm-drive really.