Garage Walls: Prep b4 Insulation Install - unknown material problem

olletsocmit

Ok i can really use some advice and here here bad.  Just spent about 2 hrs looking over the net and still have not gotten any solid info.  I have a 2.5 car garage, but only 2 of the 4 walls are finished (as in they hung drywall, spackled over the nail holes, and taped the seams w/ only 1 coat.)  The other 2 walls are not finished at all.  All the unfinished garages i see, there is usually plywood behind the studs. I have some weird dark brown sheets that kinda look like drywall. (see the pics below).  I think the aluminum siding it nailed right to this brown boards. some spots of it have got bumped and fell off and its like a 1/2" if white hard concrete looking stuff inside.  this worries me that there is like no good barrier between the outside world but an old board.  do i need to cover it all with plywood or some type of plastic vapor barrier and then start to insulate and drywall??

Also i just noticed that there is a shelf in there that we store pool chairs and umbrellas & stuff. someone must of pushed o the poles to get them up there and they hit the brown board stuff.  i looked outside and the aluminum siding is now dented out pretty good.  so if i were to hit the brown stuff with a hammer or kick it, it would dent the siding outwards when you go out to look at it. something does not need right to me. i at min need to patch  any holes or dents in it as well as tape the seams, b/c a hold means that the only barrier is the siding.

I need help.

IMG_2065.JPG

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

There is Only plywood above the garage doors...

IMG_2085.JPG

I am also confused why they only did about 5" all around the top but not the rest of the wall below

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2088.JPG

As you can see below, I used duct tape to patch a section of the brown board that i saw had started to fall apart and come off the wall, im sure there is a proper way to fix it thou and i want to know before its too late..

IMG_2112.JPG

IMG_3051.JPG

IMG_3052.JPG

IMG_3053.JPG

• Like 1

That's always annoying running into a house where they didn't put sheating... nothing to secure things to unless you find the studs. It's a fiber board and the rest of your house is undoubtedly like that too. Look up Buffalo board or beaver board, it was used until osb became the norm.

The little Strip of drywall on top is curious, that I can't help you with

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

yeah I'm really pissed off it's not just plywood like normal. I wanted to go ahead and just lay the insulation and finish it. I will post some pictures in a little bit of what it looks like when I gets hit and cracks off so u can see the inside. Does anybody know what my next step is does it need to get primed or something, do I need to spray it or is there some type of plastic I put over it then insulation? I'm at a loss of what to do

wow that is crazy odd man,how old is your house?   My house was built in 1958,it has a stuuco exterior. In my garage I have probably only about a 48 inch section that is unfinished the rest of it is insulated and dry walled.  Dont think there is any Tyvek or anything on my house but you can see the paper backing from the stuff behind the stuuco. There is also 2x4 pieces alternating between the studs which is normal,odd yours does not. It adds alot of strength. Ill try and post a pic here shortly.

Ok if you look behind the tools, ours is like a tar paper like stuff with steel mesh and stuuco pretty normal for around here. You can also see the horizontal 2x4's.

Id be finding a contractor thats reputable and ask them questions,make sure things are to code.

I imagine Regopit would totally know how to help you out for sure. Perhaps send him a pm.

20160612_180506_zpszac4hwaa.jpg

• Like 2

My house is only 25ish years old. 4 bedroom, 3 bath. 1.5 acre plots. I'm in a neighborhood with roughly 100 houses. I wonder if I should cut a hole in the 2 walls that are partially finished (just 1 coat of mud and tape. Make sure that there is actually insulation behind lol.

@regopit please see first post and this thread. I was told you may have some advice/be of help.

so i found a few things here...

here is a site that has a lot of info about it.  It says that its an insulator as well as sound barrier, but i still want to insulate under the drywall either way.  no info anywhere on how to patch the holes nor how to seal the seams.  also need to fugure out what to use to seal all the sides of the 2x4's.  Thinking i should do a vapor barrier right on top of it then insulate, then sheetrock,  but not sure yet.

-- Info site:  http://inspectapedia.com/structure/Fiberboard_Sheathing.php#FWtr

-- Someone else asking about wtf it is any why its not plywood:  https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/74927/house-sheating-is-not-plywood-whats-this-material

• Like 1

I found it!!  Mine is smooth on the outside not textured like most of those fiberboards. I think what i have is "Solid gypsum board". It looks like its plaster based and not fiber board, which makes sense b/c when it breaks off its white inside. The pic came from this site: http://inspectapedia.com/interiors/Plaster_Systems_in_Buildings.php

Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 1.54.32 AM.png

@JimboS1ice and @KnarlyCarl  wanted u guys to see i found what it is.. very strange to me for a house large house on 1.5 acre plots in a neighborhood.. right?

That's the same sheeting my dad has on their house behind the siding.

I couldn't tell you  how to repair yours but, if it was me I would try and find something that would hold up to the cold, hot and moisture. I had to cut some of his sheeting and then I put treated plywood below and then the seam between the sheeting and plywood I caulked and put house wrap over it to protect the sheeting better. Moisture got to the sill plate and header joist and had to replace both. That's how I found out he had that type of sheeting. 

• Like 1

is anyone suggesting i wrap it on the inside before i put in insulation and drywall? like cut strips on it and put between each 2x4? or is there some type of moisture barrier role i can put against it? I was thinking that the few holes i have, i have put the pieces back in the hole and covered in duct tape. Take the tape off, put adhesive in the holes and glue the broken pcs back in and then cover in a layer of drywall mud, then tape, then another layer of mud?

Spray foam! Moisture and wind barrier and great r value and it adds a ton of strength to the whole place wherever it's sprayed. I would suggest at least 1.5" close cell spray. We have a complete setup for this and it's amazing stuff, it's the best

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Ok guys. I picked up all my insulation today. No one at HD knew for sure what I have to do. If I can just put it up and drywall, if I install backwards then staple plastic over and then drywall, if I staple up plastic first then put up insulation and drywall..... Are there any contractors here who know? Really want some solid info before I start. Thanks guys

Again it's going over solid gypsum board:
ddfc0007a36d62ba2d5847aad30220ac.jpg
20ea584a5300952a7c3e7ab079c90e08.jpg

ok guys, so i have decided to say fuck it...  I got a bunch of caulk. I will seal all the seams on the brown solid gypsum board and maybe up and down the left and right sides of the studs in some places.  also around windows and other areas.  i will then just be putting the insulation in normally and stapling to the studs... no going to seal the board since i still cant figure it out.  after that i will stretch and cover all with a plastic clear vapor barrier. and then drywall

Before i get started... i should not be putting the insulation in backwards or anything like i have seen in a lit of threads, right??  should the paper side of the insualtion be going up against the gypsum board or not.

besides the plastic, is there something better to cover everything with before putting up the drywall?

What sort of temperature and humidity does your garage experience? That can really screw with the drywall, but it might depend on your situation. How does the drywall look on the ceiling? That should give you an indication of what the drywall will do when you put it on the wall. I've seen it warp and twist and the seams exposed real easy because the temperature and humidity swings slowly made it deteriorate.... 

I don't think caulk is the answer on the beaverboard, what is your theory behind that?
Also, if you're covering the faced batts with boards, put the paper facing you and staple to the studs. Then you can put your plastic on top. 

• 2 weeks later...