M12 Black flashlight (update got mine )...

JerryNY

On June 14, 2016 at 6:41 PM, JerryNY said:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-M12-12-Volt-Lithium-Ion-Cordless-LED-High-Performance-Flashlight-Tool-Only-2355-20/207021879

$99 for tool only. They have a kit too with a 1.5 battery too and decent photos to get a better idea of it. Looks nice but not in stock yet.

update: Here is the retail packaging and what one looks like with big battery on it.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

It actually looks better than I thought with the bigger pack and it stands up more stably and lights up the room like a lantern shooting off the ceiling. The sliding mechanism for the beam is super slick and it does have a nice quality feel overall.

Edited the OP...

• Like 1

I think because it's all black and the battery is essentially all black too it just looks uniform. It kinda looks better and less tool-like than the predominantly red colored lights which is intentional I guess because this is designed to look more like a traditional flashlight and less like a light from a tool manufacturer. 

Yeah I was going to see if they were going to show up in HD stores but decided to just order one from HD online on Tues and got it today with standard shipping.

One thing too that gets overlooked is Milwaukee really does put out a really nice color of light on their LED's. Not too blue and very white. You can see the m12 on the left and an LED Maglite on the right. I adjusted the mag as best as possible but you can see the uniformity and color on the m12 is far better:

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3

Yeah but when compared to a rechargable Maglite LED it isn't THAT expensive and it's much brighter, uniform and better color light and has the ability to swap out batteries instantly off a charger. It's not cheap but it's a quality light and has a slick beam adjustment. I'm pretty happy with it so far.

• Like 1

I have dozens of flashlights (literally) and what sold me on this one is that I can pull my battery right off my impact wrench and put it in a useable light. Find me another flashlight for this price that you can hook it's batteries to an impact wrench.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Craigh9916 said:

This Milwaukee light is good but it's no comparison to a high end flashlight of the same cost and they are more then likely tougher in fact they are I have a few fenix lights and they are bomb proof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah true but you're paying for the convenience of using m12 rechargable packs, of which I have an assload of, and popping them on and off a separate charger. Many of the higher end ones seem to use individual cells that have to be thrown into a separate charger which is tedious or you have to throw the whole flashlight into a cradle of hook it up to a USB cable rendering it useless until it's topped off.  I like the convenience of using my tool batteries which I have lying around anyway.

• Like 1

This Milwaukee light is good but it's no comparison to a high end flashlight of the same cost and they are more then likely tougher in fact they are I have a few fenix lights and they are bomb proof

Pretty much this. I keep a zebralight sc600 on me and an h602 in my bag. I can't see using something like this.

2 hours ago, BababooeyHTJ said:

Pretty much this. I keep a zebralight sc600 on me and an h602 in my bag. I can't see using something like this.

The sc600 is super nice but not really a direct comparison either. This is a larger spot to flood adjustable light and you still have to fiddle with individual cells and plop them on a charger with the zebra. This is just more convenient to be able to use m12 battery packs for me than fiddling with individual cells and swap them on a charger. I think the zebra cost the same too. The m12 light is more akin to a Streamlight Stinger DS HPL Flashlight at $100 with adjustable light. Different strokes and all I guess.

I've never been quite so impressed with a flashlight's beam adjustment mechanism. It's much more slick than the twist types and more akin to an SLR style zoom ring where you just smoothly slide it forward and back. I hate the Maglite style where it twists and you never quite get it where you want or aren't sure if you're past the stops and have to go back, not to mention they seem to have dark spots all over. It adjusts from a super tight spot that can probably go hundreds of yards to a very broad flood that can cover a whole wall uniformly from only about 3-4 yards away. Like really surprisingly wide. The color rendition is also super nice, no annoying blue tint and looks almost like the color of a slightly warm halogen, not yellow either. The lens design is pretty interesting with a deep reflector and a diffuser in the middle on top. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing here, the diffuser might actually be something of a TIR lens and bounce the spread out light back toward the reflector to spread it out and not leave a dark spot though the entire range of spot-to-flood. It's an impressive mechanism and prob wasn't cheap to develop and produce.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/1/2016 at 6:23 PM, Stercorarius said:

I have dozens of flashlights (literally) and what sold me on this one is that I can pull my battery right off my impact wrench and put it in a useable light. Find me another flashlight for this price that you can hook it's batteries to an impact wrench.

It's the same as the M18 fan, these tools aren't really intended to be bought as standalone items, but as part of the system. The fact that they can be run off of the multitude of batteries that I already own is what I care about, the convenience for using them on the job.

• Like 2

Yep, I can see myself getting one of these. Convenience is too great. I don't want more proprietary connections and chargers than the ones I already have, and to justify a charger for one tool/light is absurd in comparison to one that charges batteries for 15+ tools I already have. 

• Like 1

So price is similar to the M12, and then you buy yourself 4 rechargeable AAs or a lifetime supply of disposables? When you already have a stack of M12 batteries, and will likely continue to because they make you money, the value proposition isn't there looking at your suggestion. As stated before, if you don't have any M12 batteries already then buying the Milwaukee kit is likely bad value. 

• Like 1

On July 30, 2016 at 6:27 PM, redmed said:

Not interested in this light,  too big and expensive.  I get 980 lumens out of 4 AA's in a much smaller package.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?364639-Sunwayman-D40A-(XM-L2-4xAA)-Review-RUNTIMES-BEAMSHOTS-VIDEO-more

That's a super nice light but totally not a comparable light. That's purely a compact long throw flashlight. The 980 lumens is for a crazy short runtime though. 0.05h and you're swapping out 4xAA's!!! That's THREE MINUTES (it'll take you longer to swap batteries)! No thank you, that would get tiring fast, even the high setting of 550L at just over an hour and a half would be annoying. To do the AA shuffle...

• Turbo: 980 lumens / .05h
  • High: 550 lumens / 1.7h
  • Mid: 220 lumens / 4h
  • Low: 30 lumens / 31h

The m12 gets 5 hours at 800 lumens albeit with a 4.0 battery but that's still almost two hours with a compact 1.5Ah battery and when it's run dry you can swap it out in all of five seconds. That and you even will have the option of slim 3.0 packs and 6.0 larger packs which would give about 7.5+ hours at full brightness.

• Like 1

This light would be awesome if they didn't make it so fat. I would have like to see it as narrow as the battery, even the same shape. It's seems unusually fat.

It's odd shaped for the battery, the ass end is fat then it narrows before the head

Jimbo

1 hour ago, HiltiWpg said:

This light would be awesome if they didn't make it so fat. I would have like to see it as narrow as the battery, even the same shape. It's seems unusually fat.

Yeah I think it's physically impossible to make it as thin or nearly as thin as the battery that has to go into the handle. This is one of the reasons stick pack batteries are becoming less and less prevalent with slide on packs becoming the norm, even in 12v tools. If the battery has to slide up in the handle you can only make it so small. The compact round batteries do have an advantage though in that they still have a round barrel shape for things like this where a slide on pack would dictate you'd never get a cylindrical form favor. It's also a bit of an illusion how much bigger the handle gets, I think they made it about as thin as they possibly could.

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

I find it pretty comfortable to hold and it has a nice quality feel and weight without being too heavy which is really all that matters to me.

• Like 1