DCS520 Track Saw / plunge saw Flexvoltsystem

midogrumpy

I wonder if the battery on the back gives it a funny balance point...still looks cool.

All track saws are blade right...you don't need to see the cut on a track saw...kinda the point of the track.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Yes but if you wanted to take 1 inch off a full sheet of ply the only way to do it is to lean over the sheet and cut it or use the saw left handed ? I know it's not a big deal though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes but if you wanted to take 1 inch off a full sheet of ply the only way to do it is to lean over the sheet and cut it or use the saw left handed ? I know it's not a big deal though !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is the thing with a track saw...there really isn't a right or left hand model. The blade is on the right yes, but you just have to plunge then push. I often cut where I can't see the blade or am cutting walking beside the blade using my left (I am right handed) hand to push the saw. I don't worry about it because I line up my track with my marks and it is clamped down. It isn't uncomfortable or awkward beacuse you aren't relying on your hands/arm to guide the saw. Still my favorite tool to use.

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I would like to see an adapter similar to the 18v-20vMax adapter so you can "intelligently" let a cordless vacuum (powered by its own battery) that your saw is running and it needs to power up and do its job lol.

This is called a tool actuated switch. There's options on the market but nothing cordless. I've been trying to put a switch kit together for a big boy vacuum (Ridgid 6.5hp) but nothing on the market can hold up to the starting amps they draw. Best thing I've found is the iVac tool actuated switches but they're only good for 5 peak HP even with dual dedicated circuitry. 

Search continues. =-/ 

12 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

This is called a tool actuated switch. There's options on the market but nothing cordless. I've been trying to put a switch kit together for a big boy vacuum (Ridgid 6.5hp) but nothing on the market can hold up to the starting amps they draw. Best thing I've found is the iVac tool actuated switches but they're only good for 5 peak HP even with dual dedicated circuitry. 

Search continues. =-/ 

The other option is to use the tool with the vacuum set up for the purpose. The Fein, Fetool and DeWALT dust extractors are set up to have the tool plug into the vacuum. Pull the trigger on the saw, the vacuum roars to life, wait for both to get up to speed and then plunge the saw into the wood. Finish the cut, let go of the trigger and the vacuum continues to run for a little bit to finish clearing the hose. I know DeWALT has clips available to clip the cord to the hose and I am sure the others probably offer the same.

On 8/31/2016 at 0:21 PM, Grumpy MSG said:

The other option is to use the tool with the vacuum set up for the purpose. The Fein, Fetool and DeWALT dust extractors are set up to have the tool plug into the vacuum. Pull the trigger on the saw, the vacuum roars to life, wait for both to get up to speed and then plunge the saw into the wood. Finish the cut, let go of the trigger and the vacuum continues to run for a little bit to finish clearing the hose. I know DeWALT has clips available to clip the cord to the hose and I am sure the others probably offer the same.

Yep, and you pay hundreds of dollars more for $10 worth of electronics and switch gear just for the option on a vacuum that has a lot less suction, because it has a lot less power to make room for the cranking amps of the tool that's actuating the vacuum. It's a firm pass for me, I'll reach for the switch and keep the performance personally until a solution becomes available. I hate paying a lot more for a lot less. 

On 8/30/2016 at 11:56 PM, Bremon said:

Could there maybe be hope in the FlexVolt platform, or would 120vMax potentially be required? (In which case for the mitre you're dedicating 4 batteries to cleaner cuts)

Personally I think this is the one tool that we won't see out of Flexvolt. A good Vac requires a lot of power, it's not the voltage that's the issue. Smaller less powerful vac's will likely come to 120v flexvolt but they won't be competitive with mains power tools anytime soon IMO. For an instant a 6.5 peak hp motor can draw over 4800 watts and 44amps, for instance. 

It takes 4 flexvolt batteries (the power station) to combine for a 3600 peak rating, and that's without a tool actuating the vac. 

So I had a thought...if a cordless vac had a dust sensor on it that would trigger the vac on it could work like the tool trigger on AC vacs. Our BuildClean HEPA filter has one to trigger the fan speed higher when dust is present...maybe to expensive??

1 hour ago, overanalyze said:

So I had a thought...if a cordless vac had a dust sensor on it that would trigger the vac on it could work like the tool trigger on AC vacs. Our BuildClean HEPA filter has one to trigger the fan speed higher when dust is present...maybe to expensive??

I'm guessing that senses the dust flowing which you couldn't do before the vac turns on.  What is really necessary (and I'm surprised festool doesn't have this already) is a signal either sent through the shop vac hose or using bluetooth to the vac.  The downside is this requires compatibility between the two tools which of course won't exist between brands.  I bet Milwaukee will have a onekey vac in a couple years and re-release the miter saw so everyone who wants dust collection has to buy a new one.

• Like 1

Yeah it would mean that the sensor would need power when in that mode to be able to do it's job. Also the sensor would probably need to be in the end of the hose vs at the unit which would make the hose more expensive.

Good thought on the one key. That could be an option.

whats the advantages and disadvantages of including a hook on a circular saw? I feel like I don't use it to its full potential but maybe Im just using it wrong? I find I can easily set the saw on the ground when the cutting is finished.

If cutting in a saftey cage up in the air it is nice to hang it out of the way. A cordless saw will get used up on a roof for framing too. Having the ability to hang it out of the way while you secure something is a big help.

1 hour ago, 2448jman said:

whats the advantages and disadvantages of including a hook on a circular saw? I feel like I don't use it to its full potential but maybe Im just using it wrong? I find I can easily set the saw on the ground when the cutting is finished.

There really isn't a disadvantage since it's a couple ounces on a >7lb tool and folds out of the way.  It's a huge lifesaver when you're holding something in place with one hand and actually have the saw within reach.

• Like 5

On 9/2/2016 at 10:34 PM, jeffmcmillan said:

I'm guessing that senses the dust flowing which you couldn't do before the vac turns on.  What is really necessary (and I'm surprised festool doesn't have this already) is a signal either sent through the shop vac hose or using bluetooth to the vac.  The downside is this requires compatibility between the two tools which of course won't exist between brands.  I bet Milwaukee will have a onekey vac in a couple years and re-release the miter saw so everyone who wants dust collection has to buy a new one.

ahhahaha classic! it's annoying tho, grinds my gears sometimes...

• 5 months later...
On 9/1/2016 at 8:49 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Yep, and you pay hundreds of dollars more for $10 worth of electronics and switch gear just for the option on a vacuum that has a lot less suction, because it has a lot less power to make room for the cranking amps of the tool that's actuating the vacuum. It's a firm pass for me, I'll reach for the switch and keep the performance personally until a solution becomes available. I hate paying a lot more for a lot less. 

So does the vac only have less power when tool actuated or does power increase if the switch is used? I was interested in the DeWALT vac since it has tool actuated option and has self cleaning system but if it doesn't have enough power I may need to look at a different option.

On 8/29/2016 at 8:31 PM, iam76 said:

no table saw anymore.. sold mine... hmmm is this a better solution... planned on the circle saw... now i am intrigued by this

for larger/wider material the track saw is the way to go. The cut, when properly used, should be great. A track saw is going to be a more expensive option than a circular saw, but what you get with the increased cost is a better cut, usually better dust collection, and more accurate cuts. I wouldn't completely get rid of your table saw though. If I could only have either a track saw or table saw I would go with the table saw because it more easily can cut narrow material. The table saw is a lot better for cutting small or narrow material.