Fast Charger Question

Hugh Jass

Anyone have any inside information about how the Fast Charger will perform on 20v batteries? I understand it's compatibility but all they list is a 1hr charge time for the Flexvolt, which is pretty fantastic. A 5ah battery takes 1.5hrs to charge so I'm very interested if it's going to scale the other direction and charge a 5ah in approximately 50min or will they only charge at existing speeds regardless of charger?

• Like 2

Been doing some blog digging and have found comments from different websites, all suggesting that the new charger does in fact rapid charge everything...claims are the 5ah battery from dead to full capacity in 30 minutes. I'll remain a little skeptical that is possible for now, but if true...OMG. That to me is more valuable than the new tools. I won't have to buy any new 20v batteries no matter how many tools I buy, and probably only 2 or 3 chargers for a whole fleet of tools even in 60v. Right now I have a bank of 6 normal 20v chargers that some days barely keep me going. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Been doing some blog digging and have found comments from different websites, all suggesting that the new charger does in fact rapid charge everything...claims are the 5ah battery from dead to full capacity in 30 minutes. I'll remain a little skeptical that is possible for now, but if true...OMG. That to me is more valuable than the new tools. I won't have to buy any new 20v batteries no matter how many tools I buy, and probably only 2 or 3 chargers for a whole fleet of tools even in 60v. Right now I have a bank of 6 normal 20v chargers that some days barely keep me going. 

Yes every thing I have read of the reviews indicates that it will defiantly fast charge 20v Max batteries. I to am skeptical of the charge time, but if true it will be truly a great day. Let's hope so. 

• Like 1

charging times

found some specs / table in German

(I hope everybody knows that min = minutes !!)

the table shows the charging time for the XR slideon batteries; they even have the new 6,0Ah 18V (20vmax*) already included, which is not on market yet

the table specifically states the values for 54V (60Vmax) are not included

the charger charges with 4Amp

ladedauer.jpg

4 hours ago, midogrumpy said:

charging times

found some specs / table in German

(I hope everybody knows that min = minutes !!)

the table shows the charging time for the XR slideon batteries; they even have the new 6,0Ah 18V (20vmax*) already included, which is not on market yet

the table specifically states the values for 54V (60Vmax) are not included

the charger charges with 4Amp

ladedauer.jpg

It looks like the specs for the DCB118 are wrong as it is supposed to be 4 amps for slim packs (1.5 and 2.0ah) and 8 amps for fat packs, so the charge times for the larger packs should be nearly half of those listed. It's disappointing that the new twin charger (DCB132) only charges at 4 amps unlike the fast single charger.     

52 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Knowing Dewalt, none of the accessory chargers will fast charge either...likely to only be the single that has this feature. 

The DCB1800 Portable Power Station also only charges at 2 amps in each of the 4 ports which is pretty crappy.

23 minutes ago, dmz2084 said:

The DCB1800 Portable Power Station also only charges at 2 amps in each of the 4 ports which is pretty crappy.

2?! Well they ruined that tool...4 would have at least been acceptable. It'll take 4 hours to charge the flexvolt 6ah, lmao. 

Next. 

I have never found charge time to be a big deal i usually just put one on in the morning swap it out when i go for a coffee then swap it again when i stop for lunch and then again when i go for a coffee in the afternoon and i never have a problem. I usually don't use even close to that many batteries in a day. I think once i get a cordless mitre saw etc i might start thinking about it. I still use a corded skill saw 90% of the time because the cordless ones are good but if you are trying to rip 12 by 2s to shape or cut them off the stack they are still a bit shit.

Depends on what your doing, the battery sizes and the tool... Some tools burn faster than you can charge where you need really 3 batteries to rotate around as opposed to flip flopping, even the cool down factor if you burn up your packs real quick on say a cordless grinder. Less time on the charger and more time on the tool means more work getting done.

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Depends on what your doing, the battery sizes and the tool... Some tools burn faster than you can charge where you need really 3 batteries to rotate around as opposed to flip flopping, even the cool down factor if you burn up your packs real quick on say a cordless grinder. Less time on the charger and more time on the tool means more work getting done.

Jimbo

You missed the most important point...faster recharge means less chargers and fewer necessary batteries. The savings are potentially huge. I'd say the fast charger will save me about $500 in batteries over the next two years despite growing my line of tools. 

• Like 1

You missed the most important point...faster recharge means less chargers and fewer necessary batteries. The savings are potentially huge. I'd say the fast charger will save me about $500 in batteries over the next two years despite growing my line of tools. 

Exactly if you can cut 1 battery out of your rotation that's about 100-150 there. Run a crew... Well do the math

Jimbo

The math still involves lost, broken, and stolen tools and batteries lol.

High capacity batteries and fast charging are excellent, but can be costly. My personal stuff is 2.0 and 5.0. However, deals are plentiful on 3.0 batteries and 1.5 compacts and when we run crews, that's what they use.

17 hours ago, Bremon said:

The math still involves lost, broken, and stolen tools and batteries lol.

High capacity batteries and fast charging are excellent, but can be costly. My personal stuff is 2.0 and 5.0. However, deals are plentiful on 3.0 batteries and 1.5 compacts and when we run crews, that's what they use.

Less chance that someone steals 4 fast chargers than one 4 bank slow charger. 

One thing you might not be thinking of when  comparing costs on the fast versus slow chargers is the battery life. Fast charging batteries might cause batteries to have a shorter service life. It may be more convenient to have faster charging and fewer batteries, but if you shorten the life of your batteries by 25%, the costs will add up quicker than you think.