The 9ah lives.

Hugh Jass

Although it's known the 9ah would be coming down the pipeline sometime in the future, I ran across a popular mechanics article that had pictures of it which I hadn't either seen or spotted before. 

gallery-1466534215-dewalt-flexvolt.jpg

Appears to be only slightly taller, pretty impressive given it has 50% more spunk. Thought the color differences were interesting, easy to spot...but what catches my eye is that there appears to be a raised portion over the 0AH portion of 9.0AH, as though it's a sticker or something. I find that quite odd since they're otherwise identical. Ideas? 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Bremon said:

I think the size difference might just be the perspective. From what I've read the only difference is the color on top and the cells inside. 

Perhaps, I just thought it might be taller since the 6ah is closer to the camera yet the 9 still appears taller. Should be the other way around if the same, could be wrong. 

It's also longer. Look at the front where the battery release button is located. The 6.0 almost stops right at that button whereas he 9.0 extends a bit further out. It's kinda similar to the way Milwaukee did it. It makes sense they'd be similar because the top connector and release mechanism area have to be compatible with tools using smaller packs. The designers also try to minimize the visual impact and make them look as small as possible but adding another row of cells has to cost a bit in the size department.

4 minutes ago, JerryNY said:

It's also longer. Look at the front where the battery release button is located. The 6.0 almost stops right at that button whereas he 9.0 extends a bit further out. It's kinda similar to the way Milwaukee did it. It makes sense they'd be similar because the top connector and release mechanism area have to be compatible with tools using smaller packs. The designers also try to minimize the visual impact and make them look as small as possible but adding another row of cells has to cost a bit in the size department.

They did good...I was expecting a lot bigger difference than that. New 20700 cells will be great. 

Also saw that they're going to have a 6ah 20v that will use the new cells too. Slightly larger size as well. 

• Like 1

Yes it seems to slope forward there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Stercorarius said:

The sticker is to hide that it is actually going to be a 9.6ah LiHD battery for ass kicking.

You sure about that? I thought maybe that was what was going on, but I've seen another picture since then that looked perfectly normal. 

Dewalt FlexVolt 9Ah Battery Pack

Perhaps the battery sticker got damaged and they opted for the label maker so the press photo's were perfect? 

9 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Although it's known the 9ah would be coming down the pipeline sometime in the future, I ran across a popular mechanics article that had pictures of it which I hadn't either seen or spotted before. 

gallery-1466534215-dewalt-flexvolt.jpg

Appears to be only slightly taller, pretty impressive given it has 50% more spunk. Thought the color differences were interesting, easy to spot...but what catches my eye is that there appears to be a raised portion over the 0AH portion of 9.0AH, as though it's a sticker or something. I find that quite odd since they're otherwise identical. Ideas? 

Good spot. I see what u are saying, it's like the 0ah is a separate sticker. 

They might be on the fence between cell suppliers and don't want to disappoint people if they put 9.6 and had trouble sourcing volumes needed for production and needed to drop to 9.0. It's always better to under promise and over deliver. The new cells are better to be sure but a few points of AH here or there really isn't anything to go nuts about. Even the whole 20v vs 18v is kinda a wash; most of these packs are 5x3.6v=18v and 5x4.0 =20v 3.6 being nominal and 4.0 being max voltage. All 20v tools are really 18v nominal and all 18v tools are really 20v max. The odd thing is they all seem to use max voltage of 12v instead of the 10.6 on their compact lines.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

You sure about that? I thought maybe that was what was going on, but I've seen another picture since then that looked perfectly normal. 

Dewalt FlexVolt 9Ah Battery Pack

Perhaps the battery sticker got damaged and they opted for the label maker so the press photo's were perfect? 

Just wishful thinking. It could just be piss poor Photoshop work too.

2 hours ago, jon.steward.16 said:

On the image above, drill has 60v(USA) on it and the battery is 54v (Europe) but the battery also says 9.3amp hr...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe not wishful thinking after all. From the rotohammer thread.

06_SDSDrill_photo.png

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bremon said:

Hugh Jasstrodamus haha. Pushing the envelope that extra 3.3% strikes me as funny. Still good to make progress though. 

Progress? No...just thought it was weird they'd hide battery labels for a US press release that states 20v on the sticker when it's not even the correct label. I just think it's weird. .3ah clearly doesn't matter...so why mention it anyway? I'm thinking it was 9.3ah for UK but realized nobody cares about .3ah, so they covered it for the US release because it will be a 9.0ah battery here. Afterthoughts always intrigue me...and I find it weird they'd make pre-production batteries with improper labels.  

I think that rounding them to the nearest whole Ah is stupid. Panasonic and Metabo (both known for being HIGH quality batteries) have never worried about having odd numbers (3.3, 4.2, 5.2, 5.5, 6.2)

• Like 2

It may be to brag about the runtime when they compare their 9.0ah (actual 9.3ah) to let's say Milwaukees 9.0ah (if that is the actual ah rating) they may get a couple of cuts more with a recip saw or circular saw. Car manufactures have done this in the past, lowered the actual hp rating equal to others and get better acceleration times on paper. This is just my speculations.

Skickat från min SGP511 via Tapatalk

I wouldn't get hung up by a few point of Ah. Seriously though Dewalt uses 20v(Max voltage value) vs 18v(nominal voltage value)  for their battery packs so the correct Ah rating on their battery should be 8.1Ah and not 9Ah. They are trying to have it both ways quoting both max values when if you raise voltage you necessarily lower Ah. It's all marketing, they all do it. All you need to know is they embiggened their batteries so they have more go juice for longer runtime ?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JerryNY said:

I wouldn't get hung up by a few point of Ah. Seriously though Dewalt uses 20v(Max voltage value) vs 18v(nominal voltage value)  for their battery packs so the correct Ah rating on their battery should be 8.1Ah and not 9Ah. They are trying to have it both ways quoting both max values when if you raise voltage you necessarily lower Ah. It's all marketing, they all do it. All you need to know is they embiggened their batteries so they have more go juice for longer runtime ?

I understand what you're getting at, but this isn't technically correct.

The 'Ah' designated on the batteries is determined by the cells inside and isn't really up for debate. If they use 3 rows of 3Ah (or 3000mAh), the pack is 9Ah.

However, the 20V max comes from the maximum potential of 4V of the cells, rather than the nominal potential/voltage of 3.6V. Specifying the max voltage is a little silly but doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is mutiplying the max voltage with the Ah to get a 'max' Wh', which really doesn't exist.

These packs will be 18V x 9Ah = 162Wh, NOT 20x9= 180Wh. But will be marked 180Wh >:(

21 minutes ago, dwain said:

I understand what you're getting at, but this isn't technically correct.

The 'Ah' designated on the batteries is determined by the cells inside and isn't really up for debate. If they use 3 rows of 3Ah (or 3000mAh), the pack is 9Ah.

However, the 20V max comes from the maximum potential of 4V of the cells, rather than the nominal potential/voltage of 3.6V. Specifying the max voltage is a little silly but doesn't bother me. What DOES bother me is mutiplying the max voltage with the Ah to get a 'max' Wh', which really doesn't exist.

These packs will be 18V x 9Ah = 162Wh, NOT 20x9= 180Wh. But will be marked 180Wh >:(

Yeah I almost totally agree but manufacturers of these cells ALWAYS spec them at their nominal voltages. All the other specs are are dependent on that voltage and you can't change one without affecting the other. 

Spec sheet on the Panny 20700:

http://akkuplus.de/mediafiles/Datenblatt/Panasonic/Panasonic_NCR20700B.pdf

They specify 

Rated capacity(1) 4000mAh

Capacity(2)

Minimum 4050mAh Typical 4250mAh

They don't quarantee these things either. The only way you could really sell them as 4250+ would be to bin them but that would get expensive and prob not worth it unless you were sending these things into orbit and wanted to get the best cherry picked cells possible and cost was a non-issue. The discharge curves are also interesting too...