Is there max size for screws for an impact driver?

Alkis

No, I've done 1/2" X 6" lags with my impacts

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edit: depends on the torque rating as well but you should have an issue at all with screws, even 3/8" lags up to 8-10" it's when you get the bigger lags you can max your torque out but pilot holes help with that but for just screws that's the beauty of an impact is it'll keep driving the screw in

• Like 2

The only thing you might run into is a phillips screw might want to cam out even with an impact driver. The other drive styles help with that.

Philips are garbage, great point I use Torx or Robertson square

Jimbo

• Like 1

I've noticed that regardless of size the density of the material you are screwing into and the pilot hole are the biggest factor as long as you can keep the friction down between screw and material an impact driver will work great just make sure you pilot hole is only as big as the shaft that way the threads get a deep enough bite but without the shaft squeezed into the hole.

I've noticed that regardless of size the density of the material you are screwing into and the pilot hole are the biggest factor as long as you can keep the friction down between screw and material an impact driver will work great just make sure you pilot hole is only as big as the shaft that way the threads get a deep enough bite but without the shaft squeezed into the hole.

Basic physics really and compression of the wood, having the pilot hole removed material reduce the amount of compression.

Want to see something cool? Tap some 10" lags in PT timber with no pilot holes at high rom, compression and density is so high the treatment fluid will boil at the surface

Jimbo

I've never done that but I can pictures it the heat that is produced from the friction created from no pilot hole must be so intense but also the strain on the tool has to get really hot also. I completely burnt out the brake on my makita impact gun installing lags when I was still installing commercial skylights

• Like 1

On 6/26/2016 at 11:36 AM, Alkis said:

What the title says! Been searching around the internet but did not find any answer. 

Thanks

There is no official limit, it depends on your specific driver. I once drove 1/4"x6" lag bolts with mine. I wouldn't recommend it though as afterwards my impact driver was literally smoking afterwards. Needless to say, next time I do that; either pre-drill a hole or use an impact wrench.