Dewalt 20V 16GA Finish Nailer review

dwain

I'm sure I'm starting to sound like a broken record but Dewalt is really making a convincing argument for me to invest in their platform. Between this, FlexVolt etc. 

This nailer seems to overwhelmingly succeed where Milwaukee, in comparison, seems to be a bit lacklustre. Have you had a chance to play around with any Fuel nailers yet Dwain? As always, thanks for the review. OTT videos consistently prove to be a testament to you guys being among the best out there for quality opinions on tools.

Somewhere on this forum is some dude that spouts about this nailer and how it's not as good as the original 18v version. 

26964412.jpg 

Frankly I think it delivers if not out performs even pneumatic nailers by matching the utility and removing the hose and extension cord. I've shot nails into stucco through a baseboard and it set so deep I couldn't see the head. The fact that a cordless, gasless tool can do that, at 4 nails per second without skipping a beat is amazing. 

So far I've cleared one jam up which took me about .5 seconds to clear by flipping the lever. I've never had to do the motor disengage/reset yet. Only thing I don't love about it is the design is silly for checking the battery level, dumb design, and the depth adjustment isn't intuitive at all. Pretty minor gripes. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Only thing I don't love about it is the design is silly for checking the battery level, dumb design, and the depth adjustment isn't intuitive at all. Pretty minor gripes. 

Yes, and this is a problem for quite a few tools in many different brands. It's a little unavoidable if you put the gauge on the back of the battery. Milwaukee's battery gauge design is better in this sense.

Regarding depth adjustment, I don't think it's un-intuitive I just think it could be highlighted and denoted better.

1 hour ago, dwain said:

Yes, and this is a problem for quite a few tools in many different brands. It's a little unavoidable if you put the gauge on the back of the battery. Milwaukee's battery gauge design is better in this sense.

Regarding depth adjustment, I don't think it's un-intuitive I just think it could be highlighted and denoted better.

It's perfectly avoidable in this case though, literally make the battery receiver like 3/8ths of an inch longer and done deal. I understand keeping things as compact as possible but that seems just stupid to me. This is the only tool I've used in the Dewalt line that can't be accessed AFAIK. 

As for the depth adjustment, what I mean by that is there's no numerical numbers on the dial for quick return to previous settings. If I'm going along putting up door casing and have the depth adjusted for exactly that, the position I choose will universally work for that project. If I check the dial and see a #3 there, that's my quick reference. I can go off doing baseboard, what have you...flip the dial to 3 and return to thoughtless nail setting. Instead I'm back to guessing where the hell I was when I did this or that. When doing precision work...the last thing anyone should be doing is guessing. 

• Like 1