who else is jazzed to be a dewalt user right now?

Edgrrr

5 hours ago, wildroamer said:

You're still young, @Fazzman....

For a tree.....

Yeah I agree and still sometimes feel much younger than I am. I can attribute that to having 3 great kids that keep me busy outside of work.

Thats one of the reasons I shave my head,I have alot of grey hair lol.

My Swiss heritage keeps me looking younger than I am too. Be young at heart my mom always said. Thats the best way.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Bremon said:

Now I feel old sitting in the last couple weeks of 28 lol.

The thing I don't like about FlexVolt is that as a 20vMax back its a 15 cell 6.0 pack. If you get the 9.0 then it's no different than Milwaukee, which is good. The 6.0 is bad value as a 20vMax pack, the size and weight don't make sense compared to a smaller lighter 5.0. 

If you don't plan on ever owning 60v tools this holds true, otherwise no. I plan on having a mix of both, and if the 9ah isn't available within a month of tools being on shelves, I'll probably get a two pack of 6's for $199. I've said it half a dozen times and I'll say it again, 12ah vs 9ah for $199 is a superior deal regardless of form factor and compatibility between platforms. Once they announce the price of the 9ah, I expect it to be an even more affordable deal per ah. I'd be happy with $250-$280 for a 2 pack of 9's. That's as much available ah as 3 -5ah and a 3ah battery in just two batteries $160 for 2 5ah plus a 5ah is $240+$44 = ~$280 for all 4 batteries.. Given everything it can do, I think that's a good price for cutting edge tech. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, regopit said:

Welcome to the CREW Edgrrr. As for the the DeWalt line Ill have to look and see approach. As I have gotten older I'm not a big fan of lugging around a big have battery all day. Showing it off and people in the field putting it to work are a whole different ball game. I'll be waiting for the feedback.    

Rego I think people get hung up on expecting one to plug these new batteries into a impact or drill/driver and go decking for the afternoon. I think you'd have to be mad to consider it, I use 2.0's for anything like that because by the time I've killed one I've already charged one and I cycle out and save all the weight and bulk. To me these batteries are for big tools which are either stationary or very high consumption level tools. Grinder, cordless saws, blowers, etc...other than that my philosophy is to keep it as small and light as possible while being sensible about runtime, but for those tools and many more, a big battery to keep you going is a small cost of weight and bulk in comparison to the workload needed. 

• Like 1

Your argument doesn't really hold water in my eyes. "But it's 60v!" is a non-starter. That it's used to power 60v tools doesn't refute the fact that it's a subpar form factor for a 6.0 20v pack. Both are true.

If/when the time comes for me to buy into FlexVolt I'll be happy to, but to pretend drills and impacts are the only tools these batteries are stupidly sized for is naive. 

A high torque drill benefits from an XC/premium pack. There's a happy medium between compacts and these FlexVolt beasts. 

When I buy into the system it will be exclusively 9.0 FlexVolt packs because the AH-to-weight ratio for the 6.0 FlexVolt packs in my eyes isn't worth it. "The big battery to keep you going" isn't necessarily going to keep you going as long as you would expect from 15 cells with just 6.0 AH, hence the FlexVolt 9.0 being the only way to go from my point of view. 

I sort of agree Bremon. I don't think the Flex-volt batteries make much sense on drills/drivers. The 5.0Ah batteries are ample and should still be purchased.

However, I don't think its fair to say that they have a 'sub-par' form factor. Compared to who? As far as I understand, most of the 6.0Ah batteries out there have taken a serious compromise in output to reach the next big number (6Ah). I don't want to be buying 6Ah batts and getting less performance than 5Ah packs!

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, dwain said:

I sort of agree Bremon. I don't think the Flex-volt batteries make much sense on drills/drivers. The 5.0Ah batteries are ample and should still be purchased.

However, I don't think its fair to say that they have a 'sub-par' form factor. Compared to who? As far as I understand, most of the 6.0Ah batteries out there have taken a serious compromise in output to reach the next big number (6Ah). I don't want to be buying 6Ah batts and getting less performance than 5Ah packs!

I know this is off topic, but this is Tia so it's nothing new. Have you noticed wether metabo's 6.2 ah have a lower or higher performance than their 5.2ahs?

I think it's sub-par from the viewpoint that it's only a ~20% increase in runtime for ~50% increase in size and weight.  The argument here isn't so much that the 60V line is bad as that it shouldn't be treated as a 20V expansion.

What do you guys think of eliminating 18V and running 12V and 60V lines.

Yes, Jeff I think is wording it more simply than me. I'm certainly not against FlexVolt, simply that for all the applications of a 5.0 the 6.0 is too large to be comfortable. From my understanding dewalt's own 20v 6.0 packs will be larger than the 5.0 but likely still smaller than a 15 cell pack. The 9.0 will likely be even bigger than the 6.0.

For all 60v/120v tools; great. That makes sense. Bigger tools, bigger power, bigger batteries. For compact impacts, drills, impact drivers, etc. 2.0 compact is perfect. The middle ground with high torque impact, hammer drills, etc. with a 10 cell 5.0 makes more sense to me than a 15 cell 6.0.

55 minutes ago, jeffmcmillan said:

What do you guys think of eliminating 18V and running 12V and 60V lines.

I don't think Dewalt gives enough shits about it's 12v Max line. Can't see this happening.

1 hour ago, dwain said:

Sub-par form factor compared to a standard 5.0 is all I'm saying. 20% extra runtime for 50% extra weight isn't worth it in a lot of scenarios. On the other hand, I'm in agreement with you that I would rather a 5.0 that can perform under all situations than the current round of 6.0 that are basically lipstick on a pig. 

The 9.0 getting 50% more amp hours than the 6.0 for 50% more cells is more acceptable to me.

60v to me is its own line, as a battery to slap on 20v tools, it seems like something I would use to get me out of a jam rather than something I would do religiously. 

16 minutes ago, phffter said:

60v? when will the madness end?

phuck it, string a cord and get the whole 120

That's the entire point of 60v, put them in series and you get the whole 120...without the cord. 

As for 6 vs 9 I have no argument there, I wouldn't buy a whole pile of 6's for any specific reason just like I won't buy a whole pile of 4 for any reason right now either, it's inferior to 5ah. so what's the point...but it's what we have till the 9's come out. 

Join or wait...that's the question. I'll be waiting since my budget says that's my only option anyway, lol. 

• Like 1

Lol I'm with you on that, if the 9.0 wasn't announced/on the horizon I would be tempted to jump in now but I'm firmly in the wait camp until it shows up. Should be plenty of time for reviews on the miter saw, etc. in the meantime. 

Grinder, SDS, Fast Charger at the top of my list right now. Might pick up the track saw too since the blade right won't be as much as a kick in the nuts to me to change from blade left if the reviews are good. Still trying to figure out why it would be variable speed...can't imagine many instances you'd want a slow cut...plastics or plexiglass maybe. 

Yeah that grinder should kick ass. I already have a Fuel sawzall, circular saw, and grinder so 3 of the FlexVolt offerings unveiled got a shrug from me, 2 years too late for my money, but one day mine will die so we will see what voltage yellow sells then. 

For my needs I'm not sure I need much more than a hammer drill or a basic SDS so it's really the big saws from 60v Max that have me the most interested.

Brushless compact drill and 16g nailer OTT reviewed may well be my first foray into Dewalt (despite the drill not kicking the compact Red's ass too badly, it has some thoughtful features I like).

Would your usual choice of vendor be Home Depot for these future flexvolt purchases? Or do you guys have supply houses that offer dewalt tools? I always wondered how others might go about doing this, because there isn't a Home Depot close by us, and instead, we rely on our many supply houses to buy our cordless tools from, and the brand they carry is Milwaukee. Ridgid industrial tools is another brand i see, but that's IT, seriously, I've never walked into one of our supply houses and seen anything but Milwaukee, and that's where we buy a lot of the trade specific tools they offer. There's fastenal with Metabo, and maybe another supply house i'm not sure of what they might have, but those are ones i might stop by in maybe twice a year. This is why it has been incredibly easy to buy Milwaukee, and it's obviously what they want.

• Like 1

There's a supply house near my work that has floor to ceiling Dewalt all along a few walls. Insane amount of yellow. They have awesome pricing on tough boxes so would likely be the first place I check for FlexVolt. There's an online shop I like as well that I get all my Milwaukee from, so between those two I should be able to find reasonable deals. 

8 minutes ago, Bremon said:

There's a supply house near my work that has floor to ceiling Dewalt all along a few walls. Insane amount of yellow. They have awesome pricing on tough boxes so would likely be the first place I check for FlexVolt. There's an online shop I like as well that I get all my Milwaukee from, so between those two I should be able to find reasonable deals. 

That's awesome, I would love to be able to walk into a supply house and see something like that. Nice setup it sounds like.

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

Would your usual choice of vendor be Home Depot for these future flexvolt purchases? Or do you guys have supply houses that offer dewalt tools? I always wondered how others might go about doing this, because there isn't a Home Depot close by us, and instead, we rely on our many supply houses to buy our cordless tools from, and the brand they carry is Milwaukee. Ridgid industrial tools is another brand i see, but that's IT, seriously, I've never walked into one of our supply houses and seen anything but Milwaukee, and that's where we buy a lot of the trade specific tools they offer. There's fastenal with Metabo, and maybe another supply house i'm not sure of what they might have, but those are ones i might stop by in maybe twice a year. This is why it has been incredibly easy to buy Milwaukee, and it's obviously what they want.

If we get rid of HD and Lowes, I still have Ace, True Value, Ziggy's, Oxarc carries them because that's what welders use, Fastenal carries them here I'm pretty sure, Platt electric supply (Might just be a NW supply chain) I wanna say that Ferguson also carries them. John Deere dealerships carry a full lineup (also JD and Case IH are the only places with Knipex in town). Case dealership doesn't carry either. 

• Like 2

Upon review of the Dewalt site, the 791

isn't one of their vaunted "made in USA with Chinese parts" drills, but the old brushed compact is? Color me disappointed. Price on the 2701 kit is the same as the Dewalt. Yellow is lucky theirs is more powerful and I want that finishing nailer anyway.

Is the 991 similar size to the 2704? I could handle that size even though it's not compact, despite wanting a compact, to support assembly by someone making a living wage.

I don't buy any tools in store anymore. I love me some HD, but I order online and get 10% off of everything there so why buy in store at all? I can always find a deal online that you can't get in store. 

Tool Nut, HD, CPO, Amazon, and Acme Tools have gotten about 90% of my buisness in the last 3 years. All for 10-25% off. 

Currently have a shopping cart of 4 items at Acme tools ready to buy for $206 that is about $30 cheaper than anywhere else with their normal prices and 10% off July sell. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2016 at 7:44 PM, Hugh Jass said:

Hey the new fast chargers at least are competative to everyone else finally. Never been the case till now. 

I just wish that they'd stop flooding the market with chargers which are pretty much the worst in the industry for unknown reasons. Literally the dumbest thing that Dewalt does and I'll never understand why. 

Did not know they made a fast charger.  I just checked the HD website and can't believe how much they want for a charger.  I guess I'll just wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,

wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait,

wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait, wait.

It's better for the battery if it's charged slowly, Right?

• Like 1

Dang, not as jazzed as I wish I was. Received my replacement combo 20v max kit.... Same exact thing, batteries show 2 bars, put them in charger and get the solid light. I called Dewalt cs, was told that if I use them for a bit, they will start to indicate correctly after awhile. So, that's what I'll do, I guess. Strong performers, just wish I could see what a Dewalt battery looks like with 3 bars lit...

I wonder if completely draining the battery then charging would make a difference? I'm not fully up to speed on batteries like some guys but I remember hearing once that batteries have a memory? So if they were stored for who knows how long on a half charge maybe that has something to do with it

• Like 1