Metabo KHE 2850 or Makita HR2811FT??????

wayneburgess

Torn between two drills now guys and can't decide which one.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL :D

Would it help to ask which one wasn't made in China?

It would appear they are two differing styles, vertical or horizontal motor. Will the length of the tool matter to you? It looks like the Metabo is a bit longer. They look like they spec out pretty close. If I had to choose, I would have to lean towards the Makita as I would have a hard time finding a place to service the Metabo if I ever needed anything like warranty repairs, but they don't actually offer that model here in the states. Which one would be easier for you to get serviced?

Those are the questions I would be asking myself If I had to choose between those two.

O.K which one is not made in China? LOL :)

I don't think Hilti has totally sold out to China yet, but I know how you feel about them. There may be a small amount of hope that Bosch has one not produced there as well. The Bosch that I have the 11255VSR was made in Germany.

If it was me and I had to pass on Hilti, and was looking for a shorter tool than my Bosch, I would pick up the Milwaukee 5359-21 which is manufactured in Germany as well. This is probably not much help to you though as we don't often have the same tools available to us in our own countries.

The Bulldog is a cool drill but the 2 I was looking at have quick change chucks and will turn core bits through concrete up to about 3 inch which covers most of what I do.

The Metabo also has a long nose and no D handle which can get in the way drilling for red head anchors in tight spaces when we run pipework at high level on site.

I am not happy about the made in China, but these seem to be the only 2 that do all need.

The Bulldog is a cool drill but the 2 I was looking at have quick change chucks and will turn core bits through concrete up to about 3 inch which covers most of what I do.

The Metabo also has a long nose and no D handle which can get in the way drilling for red head anchors in tight spaces when we run pipework at high level on site.

I am not happy about the made in China, but these seem to be the only 2 that do all need.

Which can you get from a better tool dealer? After the sale support is something I always consider when choosing a tool, unless it is it is a tool I have a back up for or can really do without if I have to.

The trouble is the Milwaukee is not easily available over here.In fact I can't find one.

I love the look of the compact sds Milwaukee for over head work.

I think it is a trip to somewhere where i can try before I buy to see how they perform.But again that is as rare as hens teeth over here as well (they don't do try before you buy) :(

The trouble is the Milwaukee is not easily available over here.In fact I can't find one.

I love the look of the compact sds Milwaukee for over head work.

I think it is a trip to somewhere where i can try before I buy to see how they perform.But again that is as rare as hens teeth over here as well (they don't do try before you buy) :(

It is not like we have a lot of places here that let you test tools either. The rare instance when a big box store has a display set up of some new tool (often broken or abused by the time I notice them) or when we can catch a demonstration day put on by manufacturer or at trade shows are the only real time we get to try out any tools. Some of the premium brands have demonstration area set up, like Woodcraft does with Festool, or like Hilti, that have company reps who will let you try their demonstration tools. This is one of the reasons that these blog/forums are so prolific.

Store rarely let you get your hands on anything other than their store brand.

My local Home Depot just about always has a display up for either Makita or Ryobi. Most often a cordless tool with a dead or missing battery though. It is also most likely a tool geared more towards the DIY crowd than the professionals too.

Yea that's about the same as here. A 12V Ryobi on one end of the isle and 18V on the other.

Do they at least keep the batteries charged? Down here, just about every time I've ever checked, the tools either had dead or dying batteries in them. I have to think that is not the greatest way show off the tools in their best light.