Buying Milwaukee M18 Batteries & what sizes

olletsocmit

Are you guys buying your Milwaukee batteries... Home Depot, online (if online what website), eBay, etc. I currently have 2 M18 5.0 batteries. I am in need of more. Is it best to just stick with the 5.0's only? in my mind it makes zero sense to buy the small ones, right.

I saw at Home Depot it's like 129 for a single 5.0 and it's the same price for 2 of the XC's (3.0's). Are you guys buying the two packs of the XC's or is it better just to get the 5's. I know it's based on the application and everything but you can always use a 5

I have never bought a battery individually, only acquire them by buying cordless tools in kit form. I normally buy at HD when they're having one of their free extra battery deals, when I can afford to wait for one. It's very rare that I buy a tool as tool-only, unless that's the only way it comes.

Up until recently, I only had 4.0 and 5.0's for my M18 stuff. The added weight was nothing to me, and I wanted the added runtime. I've since acquired a few 2.0's, and I find I really like them for my impact, as it makes it a little more compact, and also for the multi-tool, which balances better in the hand with one. With the efficiency of brushless, some of the Fuel tools really don't require anything more. So, I wouldn't rule them out.

• Like 1

I have never bought a battery individually, only acquire them by buying cordless tools in kit form. I normally buy at HD when they're having one of their free extra battery deals, when I can afford to wait for one. It's very rare that I buy a tool as tool-only, unless that's the only way it comes.

Up until recently, I only had 4.0 and 5.0's for my M18 stuff. The added weight was nothing to me, and I wanted the added runtime. I've since acquired a few 2.0's, and I find I really like them for my impact, as it makes it a little more compact, and also for the multi-tool, which balances better in the hand with one. With the efficiency of brushless, some of the Fuel tools really don't require anything more. So, I wouldn't rule them out.

Thanks for the advice very interesting I have a brand-new $139 M18 starter kit. I'm trying to decide whether I open it and use the 5.0 battery and just throw the extra charger in the closet or swap it for a two pack of the XC's.

Also can I ask why you only buy kits what is the need for all those extra chargers and everything. it's much more cost-effective just to buy tool only if you have a few batteries

1 hour ago, olletsocmit said:

Also can I ask why you only buy kits what is the need for all those extra chargers and everything. it's much more cost-effective just to buy tool only if you have a few batteries

Well, I am all cordless during my workday nowadays, and between running my Hole Hawg and usually a second drill, usually a couple of different lights, and then whatever other M18 tools I'm using, plus the vacuum, I go through batteries pretty decently. I don't normally like to trouble myself with charging them during the day, and often don't for several. So, having a ton of them is a good thing. You're not paying for the charger when you buy a kit, if you do the math. I have the 6-bay Rapid Charge Station, anyway, so just give the chargers to guys I run into on the job that could make use of them.

I'll use the M18 Super Hawg as an example, since it comes with 5.0's. Tool only it's $349. Kit with 2 batteries, charger and bag is $549. Throw out the charger and the bag, and you've still paid only $100 each for the batteries. Now, buy it when HD has one of the free extra battery deals, and you've paid just $66 per battery. Now, if you have no need for the extra batteries, or no desire for any more of the tools in the line, this point is moot. You also might be able to do better by buying on Ebay.

Free battery deals come around quite often at HD, so waiting for one isn't all that tough. If you're just using the tools DIY, you really can get by with just a couple, and especially if the tools are brushless. Swapping the batteries between tools takes mere seconds.

As a pro, I'd much rather have one 5.0 than buy the 3.0 2-pack.

• Like 1

I only use 5.0s and 2.0s. Quality over quantity. You still need to have enough to keep a good work flow going without batteries holding you up, but I'd rather have a hypothetical 6 packs over 12. Less time swapping batteries, less weight to haul around, less space taken up. Less time juggling chargers as well. 

One thing to keep in mind that unless you're in dire need of more packs you might want to hold off purchasing batteries because Milwaukee is releasing 6.0's and 9.0's relatively soon so there may be new packages and discounts on older packs soonish.

• Like 1

What tools do you currently own? What are your next purchases? Those will guide you in determining what batteries to get. Any high demand tool and I'd get the 5.0 batteries. The thing with batteries is that they are freaking expensive by themselves. Save your dough and get them in a kit or as a freebie with tool purchase.

I have 2 of the 5.0 batteries and do not plan on getting more. If I come across a compact for a good price I'd probably pick it up to use on my impact driver as it is a heavy beast with the 5.0 attached. For everything else the 2 batteries will do fine. They charge in an hour and the 5.0 has a good run time. Plus, they only have a 3 year warranty, so it makes no sense for me to buy too many batteries. Better to wait a couple years and maybe get new ones in a kit that way I'm never paying full price for batteries.

My 2.0 packs are second hand. People buy kits and sell the batteries on kijiji for a song. New batteries for $35 each rather than $100 CAD each at Home Depot.

5.0s were in a kit. $150ish CAD individually but a 2-pack for $200 is pretty good value imo. 

Any sightings of the M18 6.0? I'm assuming it's bigger than the 5.0, like dewalt's upcoming 6.0 is?

i currently have 2 -2.0 2 xc 2 -4.0 and 2 -5.0 i like having the 2 small ones for different overhead or extended use plus I am never far enough away from a charger to worry about 5.0 or not I dont use a tool long enough at one time to worry about size of batteries

• Like 1