My short -lived experience with Bosch

KnarlyCarl

Decided to buy the impact and drill12v kit from Lowe's (see that deal thread for my post)

I had read the impact is compact, and I wanted to see how it performed and felt and fit in my toolbox. Also I don't have a 12v drill for small quick holes or drilling whatever I need.

But I have to return the set??

The Bosch impact is more bulky than my m12 impact and it's a big disadvantage when I can't fit it as well in my every day toolbox.

This picture really outlines my problem with the Bosch, the housing is much larger in diameter and really loses its appeal because of that. If I had these or similar Bosch 12v tools, I would have kept them no problem, I got this kit for a good deal at $129 and wouldn't hesitate to tell anyone else to buy it too.

IMG_20160702_130537102

. Suffice to say I'll be sticking with my Milwaukee for the foreseeable future.

Keep in mind my impact is the non fuel version, model 2450, which I believe is not available anymore. I was really hoping the Bosch would be much smaller and really solidify my decision, but unfortunately, it just didn't have enough going for it to sway me.... it's too bulky.

My needs are different than others, so this is how things end up sometimes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I don't think we can be friends anymore carl! [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Looks like our friendships ending too, getting rid of the cordless Bosch drill I got, but I still love my corded Bosch

Jimbo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Looks like our friendships ending too, getting rid of the cordless Bosch drill I got, but I still love my corded Bosch

Jimbo

Jimbo say it ain't so. What's this world coming to!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JimboS1ice said:

Jimbo

Wow! That didn't take long!!!!

• Like 1

Wow! That didn't take long!!!!

Lol it's a great drill don't get me wrong but trying to consolidate platforms, like you said you were lol. Bosch had great cordless tools but kind of a limited offering compared others. So the dewalts gone but I just bought a Makita cordless grinder and in liking what they have to offer, sander, BL jog John just got, biscuit joiner, planer... You want to buy a cordless Bosch drill? Lol

Jimbo

• Like 2

I don't think we can be friends anymore carl! [emoji6]

Haha it's ok, I love any of their hand tools and accessories I've bought. There's something about them and lasers that make me happy lol

• Like 1

I guess we can all be friends still, please just dont tell anyone! In all seriousness though, if a tool isn't what you need or what you were looking for there is no sense in keeping it. For me I liked the fact it was shorter than other 12v's the added bulk doesn't hurt for what I wanted. Honestly I'm not that brand loyal, there is a good chance when my Bosch tools end up taking a dive I will switch brands again just to try something new. I'm really hoping that when my 12v's die, Fein will have their 12v line available here.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, kruton said:

I guess we can all be friends still, please just dont tell anyone! In all seriousness though, if a tool isn't what you need or what you were looking for there is no sense in keeping it. For me I liked the fact it was shorter than other 12v's the added bulk doesn't hurt for what I wanted. Honestly I'm not that brand loyal, there is a good chance when my Bosch tools end up taking a dive I will switch brands again just to try something new. I'm really hoping that when my 12v's die, Fein will have their 12v line available here.

Worst part Kruton? You can buy the Fein set from the UK but there are no chargers available for us yet. :(

• Like 1

Worst part Kruton? You can buy the Fein set from the UK but there are no chargers available for us yet. [emoji20]

I thought about doing that until I found out about the chargers. May have even been you that I heard that from. It's no rush I guess, I've got more dang drills than I know what to do with anyway!

Just now, kruton said:

I thought about doing that until I found out about the chargers. May have even been you that I heard that from. It's no rush I guess, I've got more dang drills than I know what to do with anyway!

It may have been because I was hot to trot for the Metabo 10.8v line and was super bummed about the charger issue. I'd like to see Hilti start picking up the slack in their 12v lineup. The very short time I had those tools, I was really impressed. Truth be told though, I am thinking about clearing out my last two 18v Bosch tools and the three wireless chargers and stuff to make way for an expansion of my Dewalt tools. I am keeping my Bosch 12s though. I only have the brushless screwdriver, the vac and the FL12 plus a couple of jackets but I love the 12v lineup. Super great tools. The only reason I am going the other way with my 18s? My Dewalts are growing.

• Like 1

It may have been because I was hot to trot for the Metabo 10.8v line and was super bummed about the charger issue. I'd like to see Hilti start picking up the slack in their 12v lineup. The very short time I had those tools, I was really impressed. Truth be told though, I am thinking about clearing out my last two 18v Bosch tools and the three wireless chargers and stuff to make way for an expansion of my Dewalt tools. I am keeping my Bosch 12s though. I only have the brushless screwdriver, the vac and the FL12 plus a couple of jackets but I love the 12v lineup. Super great tools. The only reason I am going the other way with my 18s? My Dewalts are growing.

What other 18-volt Bosch do you have? Not that I would be interested or anything![emoji16]

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChrisK said:

Dumb me bought into that wireless crap for a moment. I just don't use it that much and Bosch really isn't putting out cordless tools that are that interesting to me.  They need a management change in the power tool division yes they make great durable tools but it takes way to long to get to market.

1 hour ago, kruton said:

What other 18-volt Bosch do you have? Not that I would be interested or anything!emoji16.png

The IDH182 and the MXH181 brushless tool. Some 2.0 and a 4.9 wireless pack and three wireless chargers!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, KnarlyCarl said:

The Bosch is shorter by an inch vs my impact, the leds(three of them) placement is nice, it's a perfectly fine impact, but just not for me.

IMG_20160702_130649282

you eventually replace that impact with a fuel impact when they are on sale heck I picked up a second impact driver fuel kit for $99 with charger 1 2.0 battery and hard case.......and all your problems will be solved in fact with one of those in your tool box you can set out to solve world problems.....

• Like 2

Wow, I'm surprised by the size difference. I own the Bosch. I was only on here the other day posting about the Bosch 10.8/12v line being much more compact than the M12 line. I might have to go back and correct that post! 

The LED approach used on the Bosch might explain why it's fatter (kinda like the Dewalt impact drivers too). 

I live in an area where there are few places you can see the top brands side by side, so I buy all my tools online and rely on posts/photos like these for insight. 

Does anyone have the fuel version to compare? 

Wow, I'm surprised by the size difference. I own the Bosch. I was only on here the other day posting about the Bosch 10.8/12v line being much more compact than the M12 line. I might have to go back and correct that post! 

The LED approach used on the Bosch might explain why it's fatter (kinda like the Dewalt impact drivers too). 

I live in an area where there are few places you can see the top brands side by side, so I buy all my tools online and rely on posts/photos like these for insight. 

Does anyone have the fuel version to compare? 

I have the fuel but not the Bosch or non fuel to compare it to

Jimbo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I have had both and the Fuel drill is actually quite large. The Fuel impact is very compact. Both great little machines. Currently, I have the Bosch PS22 ECTech driver. It is amazing. Super super compact. I really like the new Fuel screwdriver but have steered away from Milwaukee. I am sure it's a great little machine but the 22 fits exactly what I need for installation and assembly. Works in tandem with my Festool CXS.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, D W said:

I've been considering the ps22, great to hear your feedback on it. 

This is quite interesting (source: http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=280737). The Metabo wrench seems quite compact. Anyone know which M12 is shown? 

IMG_20150214_024054604-3.jpg

Yup, that is the M12 Fuel impact model #2453. The Fuels are pretty large tools. For instance I had the original M12 Hackzall and switched to the Fuel version. Much larger. Very powerful though. My Fuel drill driver was nearly the same size as my Dewalt compact 20v drill driver when it had the 4.0 battery. 

The impactor is a great Milwaukee tool but I am really liking my Bosch PS22. The big thing is Milwaukees 12v range is by far the largest lineup of cordless 12v tools. I'd dare say Bosch is number 2 in the 12v lineup but I really like the tools they offer. I don't really use a lot of 12v tools but this far I have two heated jackets, the FL12 light and the compact vacuum. 

• Like 1