flexvolt UK/ EU

itchyspanner

Must be a UK thing, because in my experience here I'm pretty sure in the states hammers are first with tape measures coming in second, and a close third being a can of soda swimming around in an ice bath, all of them getting snatched up like mushrooms at a slipknot concert. 

I've lost both tools on jobs where I was the only person working, lmao. It's usually the tradesmen but sometimes, guess everyone gets sticky fingers.

On 7/9/2016 at 10:24 PM, Craigh9916 said:

I doubt it will come to the UK because of it only being used with the 110v kit not 240v plus we won't be getting the 12 inch miter saw that runs off two 60v batteries we are getting a smaller one that runs off just one 60v which tells me that's because of the UK using mainly 240v , I know people will say we have 110v kit but even bosch doesn't make a 110v charger for 18v batteries as they don't see the market as big enough!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I don't understand about this is why is it marketed/labelled as "Flexvolt"?

It's 'just' an 18V XR/20V Max model isn't? The fact it can be used with 54V/60V Flexvolt batteries is irrelevant.

I hope that Dewalt do not now market all their new kit as "Flexvolt" as this will make differentiation between 18V and 54V tools very confused.

57 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

What I don't understand about this is why is it marketed/labelled as "Flexvolt"?

It's 'just' an 18V XR/20V Max model isn't? The fact it can be used with 54V/60V Flexvolt batteries is irrelevant.

I hope that Dewalt do not now market all their new kit as "Flexvolt" as this will make differentiation between 18V and 54V tools very confused.

The updated compact miter saw probably uses the same motor as their new circular saw to get more power in which case it is a 54V tool.

The updated compact miter saw probably uses the same motor as their new circular saw to get more power in which case it is a 54V tool.

Tell me more about this compact miter saw.....7 1/2 in or are you talking about the table saw?

Thanks Jeff

1 hour ago, jeffmcmillan said:

I was referring to the DCV584L vacuum unit (dust extractor). The quote function cut off the part of Craig's post with this in it!

The vacuum runs at 18V (or 14.4V) but is being referred to on European websites as "Flexvolt".

That's just confusing.

It's called flex volt as it alters it's voltage depending on what tool it's put into so if it gets put in a 20v max tool it will run at 20v 6 ah but put it in a 60v tool it will run at 60v 2 ah

9 minutes ago, Craigh9916 said:

It's called flex volt as it alters it's voltage depending on what tool it's put into so if it gets put in a 20v max tool it will run at 20v 6 ah but put it in a 60v tool it will run at 60v 2 ah

I understand the concept of Flexvolt batteries.

I understand the concept of 'Flexvolt' 54V/60V tools.

What I do not understand is labelling what would appear to be a standard 18V XR / 20V Max tool (that does NOT run at a higher voltage) as 'Flexvolt'. Someone tell me what I'm missing with the DCV584L.

I understand the concept of Flexvolt batteries.

I understand the concept of 'Flexvolt' 54V/60V tools.

What I do not understand is labelling what would appear to be a standard 18V XR / 20V Max tool (that does NOT run at a higher voltage) as 'Flexvolt'. Someone tell me what I'm missing with the DCV584L.

Because it will run off a 20v and a 60v so they are labelling it as flex volt because if someone who only has the 20v line they can buy it and just use 20v in it but if say someone buys into the 60v tools and they only have the 60v tools then they can buy it and just use a 60v battery in it , if they only marketed the vacuum as 20v max no one would know the 60v batteries worked in it

I understand this too. But it is a bit deceiving on this vacuum as even with the FlexVolt batteries the vacuum runs at 20v. It is the same vacuum as the standard 20v vac with a new connector to accept the new larger batteries. I too think it could be labeled differently than DeWalt is currently calling it.

1 hour ago, Craigh9916 said:

Because it will run off a 20v and a 60v so they are labelling it as flex volt because if someone who only has the 20v line they can buy it and just use 20v in it but if say someone buys into the 60v tools and they only have the 60v tools then they can buy it and just use a 60v battery in it , if they only marketed the vacuum as 20v max no one would know the 60v batteries worked in it

Fantastic! Seems I already own 5x Flexvolt drills, 3x Flexvolt saws, 2x Flexvolt flashlights and 3x Flexvolt chargers!!

• 3 weeks later...

I have just been on Dewalt UK's Facebook page and read their response to a comment to the 305mm mitre saw.

The response can be read two way in my opinion!!

I read it to say that the adaptor to plug the saw in to the mains can be used on both 110v and 240v !!!  this would be absolutely fantastic if that is the true!!! but it can also just mean that there are going to be two adaptors for the saw, one for 110v and one for 240v.

Can anyone clarify this for me?

The 240V adapter would probably require an actual adapter with expensive high power electronics whereas the 120V adapter is literally just a power cord. Well hopefully there's some filtering so you don't feed noise from the motor back into the mains but that's not strictly necessary.  There's a chance the saw itself is designed to run on up to 240V but that would mean more expensive components built into the saw.