What blade for hardwoods?

Tormund

Getting a 7 1/4 circular soon to try and build some furniture. I guess my first question is what wood I should use for a dining table? I realize that hardwoods are probably best for that but then again this is my first go, so should I go with something cheap like pine to learn first?

If I do try to use something like oak or mahogany what blade should I use to cut it? I also realize I should probably use a table saw for that but I do not have access to one. 

16 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Getting a 7 1/4 circular soon to try and build some furniture. I guess my first question is what wood I should use for a dining table? I realize that hardwoods are probably best for that but then again this is my first go, so should I go with something cheap like pine to learn first?

If I do try to use something like oak or mahogany what blade should I use to cut it? I also realize I should probably use a table saw for that but I do not have access to one. 

sorry to burst your bubble, and I usually don't like to discourage anyone from anything they want to attempt but a circular saw alone will not be enough to build a decent dinning table regardless of the blade choice. you will want to have a jointer and a planer on hand even if you did have a table saw handy. sure you can get away with some hand planers but even still.

if you want try something smaller to start out with. A dining table is a huge under taking......

by the way pine is very soft, it can be used if you want a farmer type table but not for anything higher end. will dent and mark up very easy....maple or red oak is a better choice......if you want to stick with cheaper woods.

when you start getting into walnut and cherry prices start to climb pretty quickly.

depending on the size and shape go with a 3/4 oak plywood and put a 1" or 2" border around it of solid wood then you can router a decorated edge on it.....

1 minute ago, Tormund said:

Was looking to build something simple like this: http://www.lowes.com/creative-ideas/kitchen-and-dining/diy-dining-set/project

that is pretty much the idea, you will not get a table top that large to all be the same thickness to be flat. the jointer is for your joints to be hidden and square and the planer is make sure all the boards come out the same thickness. but if you want the rough rustic look you should be ok.....problem with that however is cleaning it with out getting slivers.....

10 minutes ago, Tormund said:

Because of the wood choice? Sanding the crap out of it not good enough?

sanding will work but it is a lot of work.......even with an orbital or belt sander.....best thing to try it on a small scale to see how well you can get the pieces that is the thing about wood it is not all the same, each piece of wood has to be manipulated differently.

it all depends on the finish you are after the end result and the finished product. like the guide lowes offer by using 2x10 planks, your not going to find flat 2x10's like they show in their picture, they will have some kind of crown and in order to remove the crown it needs to be sanded or planed and hen when you put more than one beside each other you will want them to be the same thickness and that is where it will get tricky without the proper tools...........lets put it this way, that guide they offer your not going to get that result exact same as the pictures they show........