First cutting board

DaveJr.

1 hour ago, tugnut1 said:

Great looking cutting board.  I've never used bloodwood before.  Its really nice looking.  Cutting boards can be addicting and very easy to sell.

Thanks everyone! Bloodwood is not to difficult to work with but it is very heavy compared to other woods.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KnarlyCarl said:

This is pretty nice looking!! I love handmade cutting boards! What's the curve of the sides like? Did you go off certain radius based on a certain design or just go by feel?

I just found something with a large radius, traced it on the board and took it over to my disc sander. The curve is really just to break up the squared off corners if you now what I mean.  Its maybe only 1/4" of wood that I took off the corners and didn't take any material off the center.

• 3 months later...
44 minutes ago, 2448jman said:

how many coats of finish did you apply? I heard you gotta put quite a bit

no many coats are not needed, I put 2 coats of butcher block sealer on my cutting boards and re-apply every 3 -6 months depending on use......

you never want to use a film forming finish always some kind of oil, tung, linseed, it has a lot to do with what type of wood is used there are many better than others for such projects the woods with high density is best...